• Other, please comment

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Phtevenw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Guys! So i am planning on building a reef tank in mid august (hopefully).
I talked to my LFS about it, they would build it and help me ofc.
BUT I wanted to use the power if this forum and get help with my idea and get some tips from other experienced reefers.
The Idea is a Drop Off Tank, measurements would be 120 to 150 cm lenght, 60 deep and 150 hight, if its to the complete System measurements.
I am struggleing with few things at the moment.
Where should i place my skimmer?
Should I make it Penisula like? So no black walls or only the skimmer in a corner in the back? or should i just do the back wall black?

Option A
abfluss hinten und klar.PNG

Option B
abfluss mitte, hintergrund schwarz.PNG

HOW to do flow? I was thinking about two Gyre/red sea reefwaves? But what to do with the ugly cable? Or should i drill holes in the bottom at the drop off and feed the water from the sump into there?
mit wavemaker.PNG

They gave me two options for the seals(how the glass is glued together) in the reef tank, black or transparent?

SO i goofed arround a bit and did a quick sketch, please give me you ideas on what to do and what not.

The Idea would be to place it next to the corner, that the kitchen side of the living room looks to the Drop off, right side to the tank will be TV.

Here are some measurements. Total Volume should be arround 450DP+100-200 in sump
glas konsturkt.jpg

So guys please give me your opinions.

Have a nice Sunday guys, would be super cool of you guys can help me out a bit!
greets from Austria!

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum!
If you have the room then I'd say peninsula, I love them!
If you have the option of moving the tank at a later date then I'd leave the area against the wall as clear glass!
As for silicone I'd definitely go clear!

OP
OP
P

Phtevenw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum!
If you have the room then I'd say peninsula, I love them!
If you have the option of moving the tank at a later date then I'd leave the area against the wall as clear glass!
As for silicone I'd definitely go clear!

They told me they don’t like to do clear, because you’ll get scared more easily if there are some small bubbles....

saldy no one else is commenting :(

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the look of drop offs. I just have never had one or truly thought of getting one. I am too scared of the leak possibility. That and the hubby would shoot me.
Seriously, I like the no back option so you can display it around the corner as a pennisula. That would be really cool.

Will you have the sump under the tank? Looks really sleek. The cables are what they are. No getting around them. Just do your best to make them less obvious. Seriously, when I look at tank full of corals and life, I rarely even notice things like powerheads and cords. Unless they are pointed out to me (or that is why I am looking at the tank).

I am not a huge gyre fan as both mine failed in a year. I am sure they have made improvements since the first release tho. Might be what you need in that tank. Maybe a closed loop would be nice in that type of system too. Have the pump under the stand and all piping done under so hidden. A thought.

Good luck!

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Guys! So i am planning on building a reef tank in mid august (hopefully).
I talked to my LFS about it, they would build it and help me ofc.
BUT I wanted to use the power if this forum and get help with my idea and get some tips from other experienced reefers.
The Idea is a Drop Off Tank, measurements would be 120 to 150 cm lenght, 60 deep and 150 hight, if its to the complete System measurements.
I am struggleing with few things at the moment.
Where should i place my skimmer?
Should I make it Penisula like? So no black walls or only the skimmer in a corner in the back? or should i just do the back wall black?

They gave me two options for the seals(how the glass is glued together) in the reef tank, black or transparent?

So guys please give me your opinions.

Have a nice Sunday guys, would be super cool of you guys can help me out a bit!
greets from Austria!
As far as aesthetics go...that is entirely up to you. Your tank will be gorgeous. Personally, I have a black background and like it immensely. But that was my preference. I like the overflow in the corner, because it might help your power heads circulate a little better because the flow won't be cut off from it sticking out of the wall in the center. But that are just my thoughts on the subject.
HOW to do flow? I was thinking about two Gyre/red sea reefwaves? But what to do with the ugly cable? Or should i drill holes in the bottom at the drop off and feed the water from the sump into there?
I have Gyres in my tank and they work fine. My theory about cables, is if your tank is maintained well and healthy, no one will notice the cords attached to the tank. I'm anxious to see what you decide to do. All will work out fine. Keep us up-to-date and hello back to you from the U.S.A. (Arizona). :)

OP
OP
P

Phtevenw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the answers, really good to hear!

. Maybe a closed loop would be nice in that type of system too. Have the pump under the stand and all piping done under so hidden. A thought.

The closed loop would be a cool idea for this tank, good call.

Edit* you really could do a ton of flow with the drop off back wall and the bottom of the top section.

So just to make sure, skimmer in the back and then i'll pump the water into the lowest point in the tank facing up.
I mean it sounds logic. In addition with a gyre and 1 or 2 wavemakers or one gyre near the skimmer could work good. I'll put up a sketch from that later to see your guys opinion.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back