My first reef tank is a Crystal Dynamics 250 gallon build.

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super excited to see your build.
I am waiting on my CDA tank as well - hoping it gets shipped next week. Waiting is so incredibly difficult - especially since everything else is ready for the tank.

I am super impressed that you are building this tank with every bell and whistle there is.
looking forward to you getting it wet.

What filtration are you using for the QT tanks?
Are you setting it up so you can do automatic water changes? if not - whats the plan there?

OP
OP
Don Lidtke

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic build! Nothing like the gleaming chrome on a 65 Cadi ;)

Thanks Retro Reefer! You have a stunning build on that 40 gallon system!

The guys at the body shop all thought I was a bit looney because I enjoying taping but everyone they loved to have me do their taping.

OP
OP
Don Lidtke

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super excited to see your build.
I am waiting on my CDA tank as well - hoping it gets shipped next week. Waiting is so incredibly difficult - especially since everything else is ready for the tank.

I am super impressed that you are building this tank with every bell and whistle there is.
looking forward to you getting it wet.

What filtration are you using for the QT tanks?
Are you setting it up so you can do automatic water changes? if not - whats the plan there?

Thanks xaflatoonx!

On the QT's I am just using filter floss, carbon ( when needed), Lifegard Aquatics AquaStep Pro UV Sterilizer - 15W and a Auqa Gadget Skimmate Desktop Ghost Skimmer. No auto water changes on the QT's since I am retired I have time for doing those the old fashion way and the water volume is pretty small. On the DT I will be setting up the Apex DOS to handle water changes because I am not as young as I once was...lol!

Crystal Dynamic was an outstanding group of folks to work! I understand that waiting part but it will be well worth it when you see the tank! Also, the shipping containers they build are sweet. I had minor damage on the stand container but absolutely no damage on either piece.

TVV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very Very Very Impressive. Looks like a scaled down state aquarium exhibit is being constructed. Fantastic Job!

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Don.

I really hope I forget how long I had to wait when i see the tank....
I honestly really envy you having access to the back of your tank - the plumbing, the wiring, the management gets so easy.

My DT is in my formal - and my water source in the garage. Cant even run tubes long enough to do AWC. I wish i could have that setup too. I really do. But will have to make do.

anyway - on those QT - super elaborate setup - i really hope they serve you well.

Looking forward to your rock work. Lets do it!!!

Thanks xaflatoonx!

On the QT's I am just using filter floss, carbon ( when needed), Lifegard Aquatics AquaStep Pro UV Sterilizer - 15W and a Auqa Gadget Skimmate Desktop Ghost Skimmer. No auto water changes on the QT's since I am retired I have time for doing those the old fashion way and the water volume is pretty small. On the DT I will be setting up the Apex DOS to handle water changes because I am not as young as I once was...lol!

Crystal Dynamic was an outstanding group of folks to work! I understand that waiting part but it will be well worth it when you see the tank! Also, the shipping containers they build are sweet. I had minor damage on the stand container but absolutely no damage on either piece.

OP
OP
Don Lidtke

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!
How are you liking the UV sterilizers on your QT setup? I've read mixed reviews on them.

So far the UV sterilizers have been working well. I added the quick releases to help with maintenance. They are new enough that I haven't had to do anything with them.

Also, thanks for your kind words about the build.

OP
OP
Don Lidtke

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I choose to use the Lifereef Eternal 36” with a Reef Octopus Waste Collector. I suppose this is old school but everything I read about this skimmer sounded like what I was looking for. It runs for years and had very little maintenance required. I also liked the idea of an external skimmer since it doesn’t need to be in the sump area. It has made installation a bit more interesting dealing with the external pump.
Lifereef Skimmer.jpg

Next on the order list was a cover from Safe Top Lids. I have seen several systems on YouTube with these lids and I was very impressed. Also, the guy is just up the road about an hour from here so why not support a local vendor. I am waiting to pick it up.
For TopLids1.jpg
For TopLids2.jpg
For TopLids3.jpg

After several days of installing various pieces of equipment and the associated wiring I was ready for a break.
Side Panel Wiring DONE - 1.jpg
Apex Build5.jpg
Break_Time.jpg

Break time was over, so it was time to add water. The first 120 gallons are going in!
1st 120 Gallons1.jpg
1st 120 Gallons2.jpg
1st 120 Gallons3.jpg

And IT’S RUNNING!
Tank Full and Running - 1.jpg
Tank Full and Running - 2.jpg
Tank Full and Running - 3.jpg

Hulley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! This is almost exactly what I have planned for my next tank! I have the Clarisea SK-5000 on my current set-up and have decided that the Geo's Roller sumps are the way to go on my next build. Looks fantastic!

SJ Blane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very inspiring build! You have given me some great ideas to upgrade my low-tech 240 gal. I look forward to following along!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back