My First Reef Tank

Tim'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

I've started my nano reef a couple of days ago and decided to show the progress here to you as well as have a documentation for myself.

Quick introduction, this is my first saltwater tank (when I was a small boy used to have a FW tank) and started it cause I really love the sea and reefs.
I have went for the Red Sea Max Nano cause it was a nice AIO setup and seen some good video's on them.

The tank is set up with Reel Reef Rock and Red Sea life sand (the reef pink variant) and some extra BioHome Ultimate Marine Filter media in the sump.

I'm cycling with the Red Sea Starter kit reef mature and following the instructions.

Currently on day 6 and will test my parameters tonight again. I'm a little worried the cycling is not going according to plan, here are my readings so far

RecordingsDosing
TempSalinityAlkalinity KHPHAmmoniaNitriteNitratePhosphateNitroBacBactoStartNO3PO4X
Day 226.3C34.8 ppt8.8 dKH~ 8.213ml6.5ml1.95ml
Day 326.3C34.2 ppt9.2 dKH~ 8.2< ~0.2< ~0.05> ~306.5ml1.95ml
Day 426.1C33.8 ppt9.3 dKH~ 8.2< ~0.2~0> ~301.95ml
Day 526.3C33.5 ppt9.3 dKH~ 8.2< ~0.2~01.95ml

As you can see the ammonia spike didn't really happen (it says on day 3 to approximate reading of 1 ppm).
I'm in no rush whatsoever even if it takes a couple of months to get it all going, but from what I've been reading the ammonia is the start of the cycle. Is the cycle gonna start this way or should I dose a little more BactoStart to increase the ammonia? It would be a shame if I'm just looking at a tank full of saltwater and nothing is happening.

Ill keep you guys posted!

b3323cbb-7a0a-4e51-b2b8-63671fdc25fa.jpg

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good!

You posted this on the actual nano tank forum where people come to ask questions about nano tanks.

Here's where you want to create a build thread to document your tank progress:

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are you using for your source of ammonia? some people add bottled ammonia (dr. tims), food or a shrimp. you will need to add something to start the process. just don't pee in the tank :)

OP
OP
Tim'sReef

Tim'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good!

You posted this on the actual nano tank forum where people come to ask questions about nano tanks.

Here's where you want to create a build thread to document your tank progress:

Thanks still getting the hang of this forum stuff :oops:. is there a way to move this thread over to there or should I start a new one?

OP
OP
Tim'sReef

Tim'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are you using for your source of ammonia? some people add bottled ammonia (dr. tims), food or a shrimp. you will need to add something to start the process. just don't pee in the tank :)
Haha no I won't pee in there :p, I was thinking the BactoStart in my starting kit from Red Sea should do that.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha no I won't pee in there :p, I was thinking the BactoStart in my starting kit from Red Sea should do that.
:) sorry never used that but it sounds about right you should see higher levels though to start the cycle. or at least that is what i was thinking. maybe not.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks still getting the hang of this forum stuff :oops:. is there a way to move this thread over to there or should I start a new one?

You can ask the mods to see if it can be switched. Or just start a new build and copy/paste your original post over to it.

#mod

OP
OP
Tim'sReef

Tim'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like a total idiot right now, today I needed to dose some BactoStart again and thought to myself, did I shake to bottle previously? o_O I guess not because tonight the ammonia reading is clear between 1.2 and 2 ppm

one learns by doing is what they say :p so I'm gonna take a few steps back in the program keep monitoring and think it will all turn out fine.

Back