OP
dbl

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said yesterday I added three Ignitus Anthias but only showed one. In the spirit of the old adage of "It didn't happen without pictures", I was able to grab a picture of all three hanging out together. It's a terrible picture so you'll just have to take my word for it...these things are beautiful. :cool:

20180621_181245~2.jpg

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured I would do a quick update. Had my first experience changing the bulbs in the light fixture this weekend. The unfortunate thing is I have to remove the entire fixture out of the canopy to do so. I'm getting older and it's getting heavier!

I actually had two bulbs that stopped working and assumed it was the ballast. Turns out it was just a bulb issue which was a good thing. I've never replaced a ballast and turns out I still haven't had to. I guess sooner or later my time will come.

Ended up installing all six new T5 bulbs. Went with the Geisemann bulbs. Here's the ending configuration:

Actinic Blue
Super Purple
Aquablue Coral
- RB XHO Strip
- RB XHO Strip
Aquablue Azure
Super Actinic
Actinic Blue

Would love any feedback if someone sees a glaring error in my judgement.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured I would do a quick update. Had my first experience changing the bulbs in the light fixture this weekend. The unfortunate thing is I have to remove the entire fixture out of the canopy to do so. I'm getting older and it's getting heavier!

I actually had two bulbs that stopped working and assumed it was the ballast. Turns out it was just a bulb issue which was a good thing. I've never replaced a ballast and turns out I still haven't had to. I guess sooner or later my time will come.

Ended up installing all six new T5 bulbs. Went with the Geisemann bulbs. Here's the ending configuration:

Actinic Blue
Super Purple
Aquablue Coral
RB XHO Strip
RB XHO Strip
Aquablue Azure
Super Actinic
Actinic Blue

I feel your pain things just aren't as easy as they were a few decades ago

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Actinic Blue
Super Purple
Aquablue Coral
RB XHO Strip
RB XHO Strip
Aquablue Azure
Super Actinic
Actinic Blue

Looks good. Seems to me a more kind of blue light, but the corals will like it for sure.
Do you have access to a PAR meter? Would be interesting to see the results.

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. Seems to me a more kind of blue light, but the corals will like it for sure.
Do you have access to a PAR meter? Would be interesting to see the results.

I do have a PAR meter but didn't get a chance to do any testing. That is next on the list!

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I was going to get the PAR meter out today, but instead, I turned the lights completely off. Woke up this morning to a warmish house and quickly discovered the A/C, which had just had its bi-annual check up Monday, had decided it was taking the day off. By time the service guy showed up (turns out they're busy this time of year) the house was at 85 and the tank was at 81.5.

I had some bottled water frozen and ready to deploy when he arrived. The good news is everything is now functioning, the house is just about cooled down and the tank, albeit dark, is cooling down as well.

Maybe tomorrow I'll get a chance to do some measurements. :)

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
David,
Are you pushing any full daylight t5's?

No Freddie, I'm not. The current bulb line up is below. Remember, I'm still relatively new to the T5 world, so I'm open to suggestions for sure. Eight bulb fixture retrofitted with two RB strips in the center two slots:

Actinic Blue
Super Purple
Aquablue Coral
- RB XHO Strip
- RB XHO Strip
Aquablue Azure
Super Actinic
Actinic Blue

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks great!!

If you ever want to try an full daylight bulb. Buy the KZ Genii.

But... I'd hate to mess up your reef :(

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you ever want to try an full daylight bulb. Buy the KZ Genii.

Will do...thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to let these run for a while and see how everything does.

But... I'd hate to mess up your reef :(

Thanks for that as well - I don't need anyone helping me mess up my reef - I'm pretty sure that is something I can do on my own...lol. :eek:

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I was going to get the PAR meter out today, but instead, I turned the lights completely off. Woke up this morning to a warmish house and quickly discovered the A/C, which had just had its bi-annual check up Monday, had decided it was taking the day off. By time the service guy showed up (turns out they're busy this time of year) the house was at 85 and the tank was at 81.5.

I had some bottled water frozen and ready to deploy when he arrived. The good news is everything is now functioning, the house is just about cooled down and the tank, albeit dark, is cooling down as well.

Maybe tomorrow I'll get a chance to do some measurements. :)
Oh no! Well at least you caught it in time. Tanks looking great btw david ;) those anthias are beautiful ;Shamefullyembarrased

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no! Well at least you caught it in time. Tanks looking great btw david ;) those anthias are beautiful ;Shamefullyembarrased

Thanks Zach. I'm hoping at some point to get a good picture of the Anthias and the Pintail. They are all just beautiful new additions and are doing great, along with the CBB.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 188 71.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back