My fish survived a winter storm without heat.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers! Today marks 1 day after power was restored. I waited to post this just incase something else bad happened. On Friday my my small city in Missouri had a bad snow storm come through. Adding 14 inches of snow over night. Around noon on Saturday the electricity went out, effecting over 100,000 homes and buisnesses. At first I thought it was a short outage but after 4 hours, I began to worry. My biggest worry was my 30 gallon tank.

Please ignore the dirty glass and the cyano. This was my most recent picture of the tank from maybe 2 or 3 weeks ago.
IMG_20181206_184712~2.jpg

My other worry was my 14g freshwater tank.
IMG_20190110_192112~2.jpg

Sometimes we think we have covered all aspects of what could go wrong during emergencies but is it enough?

My 30g has a 900w APC brand UPS connected to it. Its my battery backup if power is out. I have a 30w return pump and a 30w jebao pp-4 for circulation. Since it was cold in the house I intermittently used my 150w Finnex heater. This allowed my tank 5.5 hours of run time without lights.

Unfortunately, the power outage lasted 24 hours in total. The ambient temp in the house fell to 51 degs. On Saturday after the UPS ran out of juice, it was up to me to keep the tank going. I don't want to get into the other issues involved with being snowed in. One being food for myself. Apparently, my disgust for junk food nipped me in the butt as without power, I can't cook anything. All I had was hot water provided by a gas powered water heater. No fireplace, no wood stove. I had to make a trip to the grocery store by foot. Luckily only 3 blocks away.

Anyway, back to the tanks. So, how did I keep my 30g going? I used water bottles that I filled with hot, skin burning, water. I worked tirelessly in the dark with only a few candles lit, switching out and filling bottles every 30 minutes. I would then circulate the water with a ladle. Around 9pm that evening, i accidentally fell asleep. I didn't wake up until 8am the next day. That was nearly 12 hours later. I woke up crying think it would be impossible for any life in the tank to survive. Regardless, and before looking in the tank, I filled water bottles. I switched them out every 10 minutes. Then every 30 minutes. The thermometer was reading 56 degs. The fish laying on the sand started moving after 40 minutes of changing bottles out. I couldn't believe it.

It's Monday now and all 7 of my fish are accounted for. 12 hours of stagnant cold water and these little guys are back to normal. My coral appear alive as well. I still can't believe how everything pulled through. Anyway, thats my little 24 hours of mental torcher.

IMG_20190114_093653.jpg

showmebutterfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad both your tanks came thru okay. It sounds like you went over and above to keep them warm and safe. Also, hello from a fellow Missourian. We were out of the storm range, but I know a lot of places got hit hard. Keep an eye on the weather and stock up on some canned goods for yourself.

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad everything stayed safe. Im just a little west of KC and we got 12 inches. The power was flickering on and off and I thought it would be inevitable that the power would go out as we had a ton of friends that lost power, luckily ours stayed on but I think its time for me to invest in a generator. We went out to costco last night and people were snatching them up like crazy. I opted to get a snow blower this time around.

AMBER NICHOLS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in Indy and was worried too! I read that even wrapping the tank in bubble wrap can help. My tank is in my basement and it gets cold very fast down there. I have UPS but get so scared of something like this. Good job on keeping it going!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A shout out to my fellow Missourians! It was quite a storm to say the least!

@reeferfoxx, glad your tanks made it!

I personally don't have a generator and should, but I do have a power inverter for events like these. Tank of gas in the car and a long extension cord if needed.

Wrapping the tank in blankets helps as well.

Stay frosty Missouri, there's another round coming Saturday. Hang in there!

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So glad to hear it all survived. 8 years ago, we had tornadoes in our area that caused a 24 hour power outage. we were away and I had a friend handle the emergency. After that event, i went and bought a 5500 watt generator to keep on hand at all times. since then, fortunately it has only run the tank once or twice. I have been very fortunate. I have now added a small 1100 watt suitcase generator to my arsenal that I can easily carry to the back patio and fire up for emergencies. it has come in handy a time or two for outages longer than 30 minutes when I am home.

As someone who has been in the hobby a while, having at the bare minimum a small gas powered generator with a full tank of gas is now a priority for me. Fortunately my tank is only 400 watts max so I have plenty of power to spare now days.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow 51 degrees?
Yes sir! I freaked out. That next morning the tanks thermometer was reading 52 degs. My fish were on their sides not moving. Thats when I thought the worst had happened. But knowing that low temps put our fish to sleep, I persisted with warming up the water with hot bottles of water. It worked. They woke up. I'm very lucky! Didn't lose a coral either.

Jay Norris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes sir! I freaked out. That next morning the tanks thermometer was reading 52 degs. My fish were on their sides not moving. Thats when I thought the worst had happened. But knowing that low temps put our fish to sleep, I persisted with warming up the water with hot bottles of water. It worked. They woke up. I'm very lucky! Didn't lose a coral either.
You were very lucky with a tank that size, is there any way you could get a small generator for you tanks, something like a 2200 watt Honda generator? They are very quiet, and will run a long time on 5 gallons of gas.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You were very lucky with a tank that size, is there any way you could get a small generator for you tanks, something like a 2200 watt Honda generator? They are very quiet, and will run a long time on 5 gallons of gas.
My goal this week is to research generators and inverters. Looks like we have another round of snow coming this weekend.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is reminding me to set up my back-up battery for a powerhead for when we lose power. Thank you, glad it worked out!

I also need to fire up my generator it probably doesn't run anymore. We have another 6-10 coming this weekend I hear (central Indiana) so I should be better prepared.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My goal this week is to research generators and inverters. Looks we have another round of snow coming this weekend.
Sometimes you can find a good deal on craigslist or used somewhere. They don't need to be all that fancy, IMO if the power goes out it need only power a heater and pump to keep oxygen circulating. For me, heating my 500 gal, 180 gal, would be more than I think the generator can handle.

Maybe not it is "4800 watts" but who know show legit those ratings are haha!

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back