OP
OP
Mark Novack

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15 June, 09hr20. Turned on skimmer. Had to open the outlet a bit. Normal after 15 hours.

Visual observations. The medication blue water is almost clear already. The Stichodactyla moved around the corner. The white points on the dorsal and tail fins of the affected fish are not visible at this time. Respiration of all fish is normal. Nothing looks stressed. No action to take today other than observe and decide to continue or not with day 3 treatment of a half dose.

Med is Colombo Femsal. All info is on their site. It's a standard "reef safe" Malachite based treatment. It's effectiveness is tied closely to great water parameters. Basically, that means honest 0.0 Ammonia/Nitrite, very stable temperatures and oxygenation. Make no adjustment during treatment if possible. The time from first treatment to first water change is 7 to 12 days, or 7 days after the last dose, maximum dosing of three on day 1, 3 and 5.

If Ammonia / Nitrite poses a problem and requires a mid treatment water change, I would postulate that the aquarium has more troubles than parasites.

Mark

OP
OP
Mark Novack

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
17 June, 07hr47. As there were no apparent bad side effects, I am continuing with the medication. Treated with a half dose of Femsal yesterday, day three. Turned on the skimmer a few minutes ago. All fish accounted for, corals and anemones doing fine. The affected fish are getting shiny again. I believe that it is more an Oodinium problem than a Cryptocarion. A few white spots but the dry look of the fish is what really prompted the treatment.

No Ammonia or Nitrite detected so filtration is OK. I'm filling my 300liter with RO and letting it aerate and warm up just in case I need it. If not, it will be available for the post treatment water change 7 days after the last treatment.

Mark
IMG_20190616_135510.jpg

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
17 June, 07hr47. As there were no apparent bad side effects, I am continuing with the medication. Treated with a half dose of Femsal yesterday, day three. Turned on the skimmer a few minutes ago. All fish accounted for, corals and anemones doing fine. The affected fish are getting shiny again. I believe that it is more an Oodinium problem than a Cryptocarion. A few white spots but the dry look of the fish is what really prompted the treatment.

No Ammonia or Nitrite detected so filtration is OK. I'm filling my 300liter with RO and letting it aerate and warm up just in case I need it. If not, it will be available for the post treatment water change 7 days after the last treatment.

Mark
IMG_20190616_135510.jpg

man those are beautiful fish

OP
OP
Mark Novack

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 June. Stopped treatment after the second dose at 50%. There are still some "grains" on the tails of some but it looks to be clearing up. Treatment casualties are the Gorgonia Ventalina and the Stichodactyla is doing a lap around the aquarium. I have added carbon just now to clear out the Femsal. 24 hours and I will remove it. Carbon and my fish don't seem to be compatible for long term use, although it's awesome in my in laws guppy tank. When the carbon comes out I'll replace it with new purigen. I'm counting on the fish to carry immunity to the current mutations.

Mark

OP
OP
Mark Novack

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
27 June. Big surprise. The Ventalina that I thought dying is clean and alive. It was browned out but today the algaes are gone and its gray and polyps opening all over.

OP
OP
Mark Novack

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 July. 30% water change yesterday. After change nitrates still off the chart over 50ppm. Marine pure, biopellets don't seem to be converting or consuming nitrates to any great degree. I'm preparing for a 50% change later today or tomorrow and then again when the RO water refills.

For the ich, the white spots all but disappeared on the Ciliaris yesterday. She is looking super and dominating the tank like a queen.

Mark

Mark

OP
OP
Mark Novack

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 July. 450 liters ready to change, about a 50% total volume. Also, added NP all in one biopellets. Skimmer is reddish-brown. Must test nitrates before and after water change and see if the pellets will help. I'm looking for less than 10ppm.

OP
OP
Mark Novack

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 July. 50% water change completed. Everything looks good! Nitrates on the page between 20 and 40 I believe. Preparing for another 50% Monday.

OP
OP
Mark Novack

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9 July, missed the water change yesterday because of new fish, Achilles Tang. 440 liters ready for today. NP all-in-one are turning skimmate reddish. Phosphate reduction?

Achilles Tang made an attempt to grab pellets. Still timid. However, the Xanthurum is not attacking it today.

Mark

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
FTS? You have a beautiful reef from the pics I see in other threads.

Kryssie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll need a much faster camera for this fish. It moves fast always and darts away from everything but crustaceans and food. Thalassoma Lucasanum Cortez Wrasse. I could well see a very large tank specializing in Labridae.
IMG_20190411_185713.jpg
IMG_20190411_185711.jpg
This is absolutely my dream wrasse. How does he do in the tank with other fish? I have a few wrasses already but I’d love to add another.

OP
OP
Mark Novack

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He does very well but he did eat all of my ornamental shrimps. I won't complain as my original idea was just a FOWLR.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump for more updates, this thread is wonderful!
May I ask, where did you get that orange long tentacle nem? That thing is to die for! o_O
Good day and God bless you!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 53 25.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 65 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back