My Fluconazole Results

cj in sac ca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, fluconazole didn't work. It eventually came back, some folks said its turf algae... no idea. Recently debated acquiring some fuzzy chiton's to battle it, but have yet to do so.

Been dealing with it too. Few months ago it all but disappeared. I was raising my magnesium but in doing so I killed my large Kenya coral and every type of pod I had and I had thousands that where breeding!!!! Then suddenly it came back with a vengeance in a few days. I’m almost at the point of thking my zoas and few other things out of my tank and placying them in another tank and completely starting over after doing a massive cleaning. Every few days to a week I’m pulling it out and sometimes by the hand fulls!!!!! And no that’s not an exaggeration. Good luck. I did find by lowering salinity it starts to skiff and float free

lou dog420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am 8 days in on the fluco treatment. Bryopsis appears to be completely gone but Im going to give it the full 2 weeks just to be sure.

OP
OP
CodyRVA

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Briefly reviving this thread with an update...

So, in the past this stuff, whatever the heck it is, was confined to my frag rack, now it's basically all over my tank. P04 and NO3 are reading out at 0; fully aware of skewed testing results from this junk. My chaeto grows pretty fast, running my fuge light 14 hours a day, reverse from my T5's. Coral and fish all seem happy and healthy. While the stuff is all over my tank, you do have to really look into the rock work to spot it; it's not like it's overtaken the tank.

I have not tried API AlgaeFix or vibrant. I've always been leery of using products like this in fear that a side affect will create more headaches down the road. Anyone care to chime in?

Peroxide does have an impact on this junk. If i dip my frags in some solution, this stuff dies within 24 hours, but as mentioned before... I will nuke my entire frag rack and it always finds its way back.

Lastly, while I would like to solve the issue at the root of the problem, I am open to adding various critters like hermits, snails, or even fish like a small goby or blenny to help curb this issue. I have a Kole tang and a foxface so adding a yellow tang is probably not ideal. Neither the kole or foxface seem to be eating this stuff, I feed nori pretty heavily so this may be part of the reason they seem to show no interest (simply not hungry)? I currently have maybe 3 small hermits, many trochus, and 1 turbo.

Suggestions?

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everythings got a predator or the ocean would be filled with it. I cabt say it would work but sea urchins are the predator of most turfs on the reef.

OP
OP
CodyRVA

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I was able to score an emerald crab locally; we'll see how it goes. I've had some in the past, but swore I wouldn't reintroduce them after the first two went rogue and ate a bunch of palys. Time will tell...

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back