My Fluconazole Results

cj in sac ca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8896.JPG IMG_8897.JPG I'm dealing with the same thing. When you look close it looks like a palm. That's why I thought byropsas but I've raised mag. Done peroxide dips and it really didn't go away. I added a yellow tang and it started to go away but still have it this pic is today but after I completely moved my tank from one stand to a bookcase shelf.

IMG_8895.JPG

Mallweiss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use API AlgaeFix, a capful every 3 days, and apply 3 or 4 doses before my regular monthly water change. Takes care of the briopsis, and a couple types of very persistent red algae that plagued me, but sometimes the dead algae decay leads to red slime. Did not kill my turf screens.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CodyRVA

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All... thanks for the input, i'll give it a go and see what happens. I know for a fact peroxide has an impact on it. The only reason i stopped dipping is because it always comes back over time. Wondering if i push my nutrients down far enough if it will help to keep it from bouncing back in addition to dipping again?

And for the record its been exactly 18 days with the flucanazole.

Any critters out there that handle this stuff? I have a tang and plenty of hermits and snails. Funny thing is is it's not on my rock work, just that frag rack on those plugs which i never see my kole tang or hermits at or near; so it's fair to assume they're cleaning it up throughout the tank.

Fragzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed this stuff, gha, bryopsis etc only grows when nitrates are measurable. Stripping phosphate doesn't seem to help.

Fragzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested everything last night... NO3: .05, PO4: .03

That's a veiled nutrient profile as the gha or whatever it is is taking out the excess and showing low numbers. If the gha wasn't there you nitrates would be much higher.

Fragzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested everything last night... NO3: .05, PO4: .03

That's a veiled nutrient profile as the gha or whatever it is is taking out the excess and showing low numbers. If the gha wasn't there you nitrates would be much higher.

OP
OP
CodyRVA

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm familiar with this concept, but the amount of terf, gha, bryopsis or whatever it is.. is very small; thus there's no way this small amount is having a dramatic impact on my test results. As mentioned in a previous post, it's more or less confined to the frag rack. I did have a PO4 spike recently, so the nutrient readings were not this low only a few weeks ago. Very likely this contributed to the growth of the stuff. I'll include a tank shot for reference.

Jimmyneptune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use API AlgaeFix, a capful every 3 days, and apply 3 or 4 doses before my regular monthly water change. Takes care of the briopsis, and a couple types of very persistent red algae that plagued me, but sometimes the dead algae decay leads to red slime. Did not kill my turf screens.
+1 API AlgaeFix I used it and worked great just don't try a ATS afterwords it won't work. You can use Chaeto in your sump and that, for me, grows like crazy.

dnov99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All... thanks for the input, i'll give it a go and see what happens. I know for a fact peroxide has an impact on it. The only reason i stopped dipping is because it always comes back over time. Wondering if i push my nutrients down far enough if it will help to keep it from bouncing back in addition to dipping again?

And for the record its been exactly 18 days with the flucanazole.

Any critters out there that handle this stuff? I have a tang and plenty of hermits and snails. Funny thing is is it's not on my rock work, just that frag rack on those plugs which i never see my kole tang or hermits at or near; so it's fair to assume they're cleaning it up throughout the tank.

A yellow tang may eat the algae you are battling. If you have a friend with one or a friendly LFS, drop one of those frag plugs and see if a yellow tang eats it.

I had an algae that looked exactly like the one in your photos and my yellow devoured it.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm familiar with this concept, but the amount of terf, gha, bryopsis or whatever it is.. is very small; thus there's no way this small amount is having a dramatic impact on my test results. As mentioned in a previous post, it's more or less confined to the frag rack. I did have a PO4 spike recently, so the nutrient readings were not this low only a few weeks ago. Very likely this contributed to the growth of the stuff. I'll include a tank shot for reference.
I would try diluted hydrogen peroxide dips. Justin Credabel has a good reference video if you look up BRS MACNA videos (I think his name is spelled wrong so maybe it's Grabel or something like that).

OP
OP
CodyRVA

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A yellow tang may eat the algae you are battling. If you have a friend with one or a friendly LFS, drop one of those frag plugs and see if a yellow tang eats it.

I had an algae that looked exactly like the one in your photos and my yellow devoured it.

I do think my Kole is eating the stuff; if he's not then it's entirely random that the rock work has none of the stuff on it, or my hermits are taking care of it?

OP
OP
CodyRVA

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try diluted hydrogen peroxide dips. Justin Credabel has a good reference video if you look up BRS MACNA videos (I think his name is spelled wrong so maybe it's Grabel or something like that).

Have tried this in the past, it does work, but it just comes back over time. I have debated replacing those plugs entirely, but some might be a gamble... i've got a plug with about 10 rastas on it and removing them scares me haha, i'd rather have the algae or whatever over losing my croals ya know...

OP
OP
CodyRVA

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, per my update on July, 10th; on July 23rd: less than 2 weeks later, the... Bryopsis/GHA/Turf/MagicalGreenStuff... has come right back. This isn't the first time i've had this happen; I've heard of similar reports from others as well. Not sure if a pro longed treatment is required or if the Fluconazole just doesn't wipe the stuff out completely...

cj in sac ca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a great deal of this same type algae. I did several water changes and started using stronium for my zoas. After a few doses and hand pulling what ever I could get, it all but a very small patch went away.
Sadly I ran out of roi water and did the sac religious and put in tap water!!! Few days later I noticed it coming back and fast.
Good luck. I have seen my yellow tang eat at it too.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 97 80.8%
  • Other.

Back