My Fluconazole Results

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hot topic as of late that has been more or less solidified IMO, but tracking my results and progress.

The first time I tried treating Bryopsis with fluconazole it didn't work. I figured leaving what I believed to be exhausted carbon in the system wouldn't affect the results, but it clearly did. The carbon was a week old; the bryopsis was slightly damaged, but it didn't eradicate it.

This time, I removed my reactor entirely, including the carbon, and put my GFO in a mesh bag in the sump.

My total system size is 80G. I dosed 10 pills, 200 mg each. 2,000 mg for 80G of water equates to 25 mg per gallon. I bought the Fluconazole here.

NdH3Hom.jpg

jWe8VdE.jpg

I'll be using this frag as my reference throughout the treatment process and follow up with updated images every 24 hours.

RZglQNQ.jpg

Process:

I emptied all the capsules by simply taking them apart. I emptied them into a large measuring cup, filled it with tank water, and agitated it for a few minutes to help it dissolve some. I then dumped the entire mixture into my display, directly into a power head to ensure full dispersion of the mixture.

UCLh1Rs.jpg

RravB9R.jpg

Bronx19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is tough to beat. I finished my treatment a few weeks back and I've now got a few shoots coming out of the rock work. I treated for 18 days @ 5mg/l.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Br that's core info

we have a thread on rasping and actually attacking the algae to beat it, works every time. water dosed actions (fluco) are a major breakthrough in saving work but I too have seen growback reports. rasping is using a metal tool to literally score the rock and remove the holdfasts you are seeing again. easier in smaller systems, however no one ever uses it even when they could be. its such a forceful method...strong outcomes

If people will take the time to hand clean and debride the system of algae, including peroxide on the external rinses after the mechanical removing, then treat the water with X, a massive increase on true sustained fix w happen. don't treat the tank in the eutrophic condition, treat the tank only when work has made it oligotrophic.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CodyRVA

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input guys. Fortunately the only place this stuff ever grows is on my frag wrack and I have full intentions of scrubbing it clean after the medication runs its course.

OP
OP
CodyRVA

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn't look like Bryopsis to me

I've tried having it identified on here before, that was the conclusion. I'm open to input, as stated, I've treated the system before with the same meds and it had an impact, this time it seems to be doing nothing. I've had GHA, this doesn't seem like it at all, very possible something else...?

OP
OP
CodyRVA

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: So, it's been 2.5 weeks, roughly 18 days with minimal to zero affect. I'm putting my carbon/gfo reactor back online and will seek other means of removal. If anyone has any input on what this is, some folks suggested this is not bryopsis, i'm all ears. Currently debating emerald crabs, can't believe i just said that, or a lettuce nudi.

Bronx19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience you should see mass die off within 10, so you'll know very soon.

drtrash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no expert but that does not look like the bryopsis that i had more fern like, that looks like turf algea, which i killed off with vibrant

drtrash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fyi i had to run full 21 days to kill 80%, tank mates did not like treatment so ended it, did wc and then another treatment week later

dnov99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not bryopsis. Bryopsis has feathery, fern like stalks and grows much thicker.

I would try light peroxide dips on the affected zoa frags

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back