Peppermint Shrimp (QTY:2)

CORALS + POLYP’S
Green Star Polyp (QTY: 1)
Duncan Wisker Coral (QTY: 1)
Kedd Zoanthids Coral (QTY: 1)
Blue ****** Zoanthids Coral (QTY: 1)
Candy Apple Zoanthids Coral (QTY:1)

LIVESTOCK FOOD
Mysis Shrimp (thawed; mixed w/ Garlic + Vitamin C)

WATER CHANGES
02/05/2020 at 1PM; 5 Gallons (37%)
02/17/2020 at 1PM; 5 Gallons (37%) + Filter Change

7C6BBA13-8EEF-48F3-A225-0A0659DD9BC2.jpeg F94E7B48-5F88-438A-B64C-27CF19E7022C.jpeg BE2E7A90-062D-4B1A-AFD5-1F8A1ED8DBB2.jpeg 593D751B-7318-48A0-BBC3-F465D7B96B46.jpeg

LiveWire

Master Electrician/Certified RODI Guru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! I liked mine as well just hated the stock light fixture. Seemed to always grow algae more than anything.

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man and I started on January 18th I believe, that’s when the water and rock went in!
I've got mine sat in its box still currently, will be getting my first inhabitants in a few weeks, but they'll be in quarantine for 6 weeks, so still some way off!

LiveWire

Master Electrician/Certified RODI Guru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long was it on for a day? What were your Params like?
My parameters were good. An ATO is a must for that system. I ran my lighting for 10 hrs a day. The issue with the light is that when it comes on its white, (a lot of white) and in order to change it over to the blue spectrum you have to touch it so that was impossible to do from work. Many reefers take the top off and just run a Kessil on it. I cant remember the light brand I had on it off hand. It was a strip light so I could keep the lid on and once I changed the lighting it stopped growing so much algae with the same timing period.

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My parameters were good. An ATO is a must for that system. I ran my lighting for 10 hrs a day. The issue with the light is that when it comes on its white, (a lot of white) and in order to change it over to the blue spectrum you have to touch it so that was impossible to do from work. Many reefers take the top off and just run a Kessil on it. I cant remember the light brand I had on it off hand. It was a strip light so I could keep the lid on and once I changed the lighting it stopped growing so much algae with the same timing period.
I've seen a lot of people complain about how white it is, I'm debating using lighting gels to change the colours of the light, to make it more blue/uv, but I don't know if this will reduce the par.
Did you need an ato with the stock lid?

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. You will definitely still need an ato.
I've seen a lot of people complain about how white it is, I'm debating using lighting gels to change the colours of the light, to make it more blue/uv, but I don't know if this will reduce the par.
Did you need an ato with the stock lid?

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one with the stick light, but I need / want to keep the hood so I added a tmc reef blue strip to the under side of the hood which makes the colours alot better, also as it's a separate light, it can be put on a different timer so I can have just blues at the beginning and at the end
Screenshot_20200210-085235_Gallery.jpg
of the day.

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one with the stick light, but I need / want to keep the hood so I added a tmc reef blue strip to the under side of the hood which makes the colours alot better, also as it's a separate light, it can be put on a different timer so I can have just blues at the beginning and at the end
Screenshot_20200210-085235_Gallery.jpg
of the day.
This is something I've looked into also, I think I've seen you post this somewhere else??
I'm really keen to know of anyone has modified the stock light itself and if that's been of use

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just get a mesh top and an Ai prime?
£££ basically lol.
I really like the look of the stock lid, and have read a lot of people say it helps keep evaporation much lower (temp rises aren't an issue in the north of England)
If I can make very small low cost mods to improve the system then I'd love to give that a go, rather than replace everything. Seems pointless to get an AIO and then change it all, I guess that's part of the challenge for me with this!

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
£££ basically lol.
I really like the look of the stock lid, and have read a lot of people say it helps keep evaporation much lower (temp rises aren't an issue in the north of England)
If I can make very small low cost mods to improve the system then I'd love to give that a go, rather than replace everything. Seems pointless to get an AIO and then change it all, I guess that's part of the challenge for me with this!
The cost of the ai prime is more than my whole set up. I'm in the south of England down in Devon. Tank runs 78.5⁰. This is the light I've fitted
Screenshot_20200221-012056_Amazon Shopping.jpg
I wish fluval would come up with a better spectrum, slightly stronger light that would fit in the hood. The thing is where I work has a fabrication department that I could make my own hood, like I did for my sons tank and use a different light, but for the price of the strip or maybe been putting a second one on there, that would still be less hassle and cheaper than a prime on a budget tank.i only wanted the tank as a nem tank in my bedroom, it now has 2 nems, a bubble coral, 2 different hammers, frogspawn plus a rescue one I'm trying to save out of my main tank, pulsing xenia that I can't grow in either of my other 2 tanks, and zoas and a nice mushroom. I wanted to keep it simple but that doesn't work out does it.
Screenshot_20200221-013825_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200221-013838_Gallery.jpg

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cost of the ai prime is more than my whole set up. I'm in the south of England down in Devon. Tank runs 78.5⁰. This is the light I've fitted
Screenshot_20200221-012056_Amazon Shopping.jpg
I wish fluval would come up with a better spectrum, slightly stronger light that would fit in the hood. The thing is where I work has a fabrication department that I could make my own hood, like I did for my sons tank and use a different light, but for the price of the strip or maybe been putting a second one on there, that would still be less hassle and cheaper than a prime on a budget tank.i only wanted the tank as a nem tank in my bedroom, it now has 2 nems, a bubble coral, 2 different hammers, frogspawn plus a rescue one I'm trying to save out of my main tank, pulsing xenia that I can't grow in either of my other 2 tanks, and zoas and a nice mushroom. I wanted to keep it simple but that doesn't work out does it.
Screenshot_20200221-013825_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200221-013838_Gallery.jpg
I'm from Plymouth originally, so probably not a million miles from you!
I like the job the blue is doing of bringing out the tips of the hammer, it's still quite washed out with white though, I'm thinking about making a lens of sorts to fit over the entire light to help take out some of the white, rather than trying to overpower it with another bar

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back