GTAReefTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm new here
xyxwave.gif

Coming back to reefing after a brief stint 10 years ago. I plan to take my time and build my dream tank - this might be a two year journey, I am sorry no pretty pictures yet. Approx 480 gallon.
96W x 32H x 36D.

It will be located in the basement (which I am just finishing) in a room that is 10' x 15', but I will split the room to 10' x 7' for the tank/sump/RO/DI. Plan to have an air exchanger in the room.
I want to use ghost overflow's, will have a sump, skimmer, perhaps a refugium.
Tank will be a reef/fish tank and at this point, trying to get the right equipment in place.

For now, I'm only at the framing the basement and building the stand and main tank stage.
IMG_1436.JPG
I am here to steal your ideas
wink.gif
and welcome any advice given as I start this journey!

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm new here
xyxwave.gif

Coming back to reefing after a brief stint 10 years ago. I plan to take my time and build my dream tank - this might be a two year journey, I am sorry no pretty pictures yet. Approx 480 gallon.
96W x 32H x 36D.

It will be located in the basement (which I am just finishing) in a room that is 10' x 15', but I will split the room to 10' x 7' for the tank/sump/RO/DI. Plan to have an air exchanger in the room.
Tank will be a reef/fish tank and at this point, trying to get the right equipment in place.

For now, I'm only at the framing the basement and building the stand and main tank stage.
IMG_1436.JPG
wink.gif

Wow! Great project. Good time to think about all those infrastructure issues like getting water into/out of the system, electrical power, HVAC, etc. May be an outside air source for the skimmer that runs thru a CO2 scrubber. Just thinking out loud.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome and looking forward to this beast!

OP
OP
GTAReefTank

GTAReefTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! Smo, I will look into the outside air source for the skimmer, especially if pH becomes a concern. Probably add a conduit from the room for any future gear I add.

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BAM! What an epic way to return to the hobby. Can't wait to see it all come together for you. I'm so jealous of that tank size! Welcome to R2R!

OP
OP
GTAReefTank

GTAReefTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
The stand is in place :), I ended up going with a wood stand due to access restrictions to the basement. The tank itself will be built onsite. I'm considering painting the wood stand waterproof paint before everything starts getting in place.

1st/2nd picture is the front view
3rd picture is the rear, the RODI system will go in the closet space with the black drain pipe.

If everything goes to plan the tank build should be done mid April...
IMG_1989.JPG
IMG_1990.JPG
IMG_2004.JPG

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice job!

OP
OP
GTAReefTank

GTAReefTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone, I can't wait for the tank build...keep you all posted!

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm new here
xyxwave.gif

96W x 32H x 36D.

IMG_1436.JPG
wink.gif
Wow nice project !! Will follow !!ohhh and welcome too R2R

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool, seal the floor under the tank and about 12 around, just in case you have a leek. this way you will not have water seep in to you flooring our studs.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drainage. Too late for a floor drain? I'm thinking both water change and emergency flood protection...
This should be fun to watch come together!

OP
OP
GTAReefTank

GTAReefTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions, funny I'm all covered in sealant paint as I started sealing last night :), I'll extend the sealing to 12 around...thanks! Floor in "the room" (not yet named :)) will be water proof vinyl and a floor drain exists about 5 feet away in the unfinished area behind. The basement slops towards the drain .... For water change, I am planning to use the black drain pipe right next to the tank. thanks everyone!

SantaMonicaHelp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm new here
xyxwave.gif

96W x 32H x 36D.

IMG_1436.JPG
wink.gif

Hi GTAReefTank,

Welcome back to hobby!
Good plan :)
What fish do you plan to have in the tank?

Zhenya

OP
OP
GTAReefTank

GTAReefTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi GTAReefTank,

Welcome back to hobby!
Good plan :)
What fish do you plan to have in the tank?

Zhenya
Hi Zhenya
Thanks for the welcome, TBH I am not yet at the point of deciding which fish will be in the tank, I am still about a year or so out...enough time to change my mind several times :)
What fish do you have?
thanks!

OP
OP
GTAReefTank

GTAReefTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone... it's been a while I posted, kinda busy with finishing the basement, work, family, life!
Here is a picture of the tank as of a few days ago - looking forward to start with the plumbing and sump next....the fun part for me.
What are your favorite in-sump protein skimmers - sump will be about 200 gallons, most likely will be split in two due to the support of the stand in the middle

IMG_2797.JPG
IMG_2864.JPG

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back