My giagantae anemone split in treatment tank

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. I think you are at least 90% out of the wood. Good luck with both of them. If you ever think of selling them please let me know.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good. I think you are at least 90% out of the wood. Good luck with both of them. If you ever think of selling them please let me know.
The clone look so much better in the treatment tank now should I move it to the tank
C2E7317D-CD7A-4C02-8DC3-D727E94AB731.jpeg

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is really amazing. Great job with both of them
Thanks for everyone on this thread guiding me through the Treatment process not bad for first time keeping giagantae anemone and have it split and no clue

Kevan Sharp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well first of all im Sps guru but a noob in anemone. Recently I bought a green giagantae anomone and put in my main display. After a three days it look deflated so I ask my reefing friend Tony and pm OrionN regarding treating it. So I follow the procedure and do 10g fresh saltwater with 250g Cipro in a 10g tank with small power head n heater. This morning to my surprise I have 2 anemone in the treatment tank so I start pm and text to all my friends and they all say giagantae don't split in captivity. Well picture say better than 1000 words.

Day 1

Day 2
imghost

Day 3

And here is a video

I'm going to keep doing the treatment and monitoring for the next 11 days to complete the process and hoping that I can keep both anemones survive.

Please give input cause I have no clue about anemone. This is my main display

I was told that anemone will split when under stress. It is their way of propagating their species. I have a BTA that split within the first 2 weeks in my tank. They are both very close to each other, and both seem stressed out. The don't expand very much and have no bubble tips. I cannot move them because both have planted their feet into crevasses in the live rock. They annoy my SPS and I keep having to move my SPS since I cannot get the anemones away from each other and away from the other corals.

I have tried placing them near a power head hoping the blast of water will make them uncomfortable, but that has not worked. Any ideas?

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look great. Hopefully the mouths are forming properly. I'm still a bit concerned about the clone because it looks flatter. The folds of the other one indicate that it's doing well.

Just expect to see the tentacles get longer and the overall color of both to darken. In my experience with Cipro, a lot of times it bleaches the nem, but they recover after a month or so.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They look great. Hopefully the mouths are forming properly. I'm still a bit concerned about the clone because it looks flatter. The folds of the other one indicate that it's doing well.

Just expect to see the tentacles get longer and the overall color of both to darken. In my experience with Cipro, a lot of times it bleaches the nem, but they recover after a month or so.
So still no feeding until when? Or don't have to feed at all
Thanks

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was told that anemone will split when under stress. It is their way of propagating their species. I have a BTA that split within the first 2 weeks in my tank. They are both very close to each other, and both seem stressed out. The don't expand very much and have no bubble tips. I cannot move them because both have planted their feet into crevasses in the live rock. They annoy my SPS and I keep having to move my SPS since I cannot get the anemones away from each other and away from the other corals.

I have tried placing them near a power head hoping the blast of water will make them uncomfortable, but that has not worked. Any ideas?
Sorry don't know much about nem. U might make a thread on the forum and the experts can help u.

skyrne_isk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't feed it at all. Give them at least a month.
agreed. And while it is certainly neat and interesting to watch an anemone eat - intake of protein in the wild is the exception to how these creatures satisfy metabolic needs. so unlike all the fish we keep, they don’t actually need fed. and we are all promising you - at this stage it is a risk and not worth the reward. when you do eventually get to feeding, don’t go for chunks of anything. go with mysis or very thin/shaved pieces of shrimp or other foods. when the material is thick there isn’t enough surface area for the food to get broken down in the gut.

happy they are both still doing well for you!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back