My hippo blue tang died

813Reefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hippo blue tang died 5 days after purchase i left bag floating for about 3 min slowly introduced tank water into cup before dumping
Was eating good for first 2 days was getting along with other fish in the tank they will all interact with each swimming and picking sand together I woke up this morning didn’t see the tang out and swimming or where she would sleep lights went out about 2 hours went by I went to the tank to have a look and she was laying on the floor I believe my cleaner shrimp pulled her out from where ever she was hiding

OP
OP
813Reefs

813Reefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hippo blue tang died 5 days after purchase i left bag floating for about 3 min slowly introduced tank water into cup before dumping
Was eating good for first 2 days was getting along with other fish in the tank they will all interact with each swimming and picking sand together I woke up this morning didn’t see the tang out and swimming or where she would sleep lights went out about 2 hours went by I went to the tank to have a look and she was laying on the floor I believe my cleaner shrimp pulled her out from where ever she was hiding
Also she was about 1inch

ReefCity.Ldn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I learnt In the short period of time in this hobby, hippo tangs are really easy to mess up when introducing to a tank.

I quarantined him for 2 weeks ( I know it should be 4).
Just to make him used to my feeding times and to observe if he was eating fine and so on.
Once he was read,
I floated the bag for 20mins and then done a drip acclimate method over 40mins.

LilsReefTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aw shoooo, I’m so sorry to hear that :(

maybe she was just too young and sensitive. One inch is really a baby baby.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back