My home 21 feet long concrete aquarium

TheRealDmorty217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building the tank is the cheap part, the boiler(s) you will have to use to heat the tank are going to be a big expense, not to mention other equipment. You should get in touch with Hedgedrew and pick his brain. He built a 20,000 gallon in his home and I think it took him almost 4 years and I’m just guessing but 750k-1 million in cost (based on cost of equipment like boilers etc)

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need some transparent aluminum for that window!!

transparentalum.jpg

Oh wait.. it doesn't exist..

This project is insane crazy cool... I have dreamt of similar things... so happy for you're actually your dream into reality.
Transparent aluminum is now a reality.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is absolutely insane! I love the commitment. Best of luck to you in this wonderful journey! I can't wait to see how it turns out in a couple years.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow.. the old adage "Go Big or Go home" comes to mind, but you went BIG in your home. I can't wait to see it up and running, but i think i am more excited to see the filtration room and how everything is set up.. Gear head in me .. lol
This is Go Big AND Go Home

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Architect here... where are you building that required CMU block? Canada?

Integrally colored 4" CMU on the interior...? I'm so confused....

Quick profile check and the OP is from Belgium. CMU is certainly not required in Canada :)

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Another architect chiming in. I’ve designed several tanks of this scale with the last being 39,000 gallons. Built very similarly to what you are doing. All for commercial applications. What you are doing is very impressive and a huge undertaking for a home reef tank. Will be following along! Best of luck!

Llyod276

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's amazing what money can do. When I get the cash for such extravagance, I'm gonna build me a waterfall wall tank system floor to ceiling, dunno how, but that's for somebody else to worry about. I'm just gonna pay them to entertain me with the fruits of thier labors...

But on a side note, depending on locale there should be a shutter system for the light. The locale seems above tropical and subtropical, judging by the conifers. Other wise the light will last and last, in the summer and in the winter the light will dwindle, the algea will bloom. Nothing can withstand it, much less control it.
feeding is gonna be an issue. A rail system to reach multiple areas maybe?

Gods I hope its on a well or better yet build a pond and rodi that water.

Water changes forget it. That big of a system should develop it's own filtration, nutrient levels should resolve them selves. You'd have to filter the waste water for salt, or bye bye lawn and flora in the area.

Speaking of skimmers and pump, might as well as drop a mercury 75hp as a powerhead or 2.
The skimmers for 20000g guess you could get a 500g drum and a mastercraft 100g aircompressor.
Better yet visit the SHEDD and replicate it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back