My home 21 feet long concrete aquarium

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very cool, I am jealous and would love this project. I will admit the upkeep and maintenance would scare me a bit. Even if the mere size of this aquarium might take care of some biological problems there will still be issues I assume... I could imagine having my existing problem of hair algae spreading especially with natural sunlight coming in from above...have to be scuba with an underwater lawn mower..lol

all kidding aside I will be following along as this is epic and cant wait to see it transform

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building the tank is the cheap part, the boiler(s) you will have to use to heat the tank are going to be a big expense, not to mention other equipment. You should get in touch with Hedgedrew and pick his brain. He built a 20,000 gallon in his home and I think it took him almost 4 years and I’m just guessing but 750k-1 million in cost (based on cost of equipment like boilers etc)
One thing I would consider looking into is at this scale everything we have as “Quality equipment” is literally toys for him, I would not skip over look at Pentair aquatic ecosystems equipment like their pumps and heaters, you will practically need everything from them as opposed to what marine depot or BRS would carry

here’s a link to their website https://pentairaes.com/

Joe Rice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is going to be amazing! I love that there are people out there willing to go huge like this.

I'm sure you've probably thought of just about everything that anyone could suggest but I won't let that stop me :p I've seen some pics of ultra-large tanks where the back and side walls are just smooth concrete or perhaps epoxy-covered concrete. I always think they would look so much better if they were more textured, more naturalistic. Perhaps a veneer of rockwork or even faux-rockwork that would look pretty good once the coraline algae take over. Just my two cents.

Last edited:

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You should fill it with feeder goldfish and put a 10G with a giant Oscar in it right in front.

9C48D058-28A9-4DC1-B7B4-EFE9AD53006E.jpeg

Jax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Insane. Amazing. Way to go all in! Will def follow this one.

czynot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn on the this system will dim the lights in the whole town. Can’t imagine the power consumption and the electric bill.
This system will require a full time staff.

MightyMO

"The Algae made me do it!!!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I worked for lfs a long time back, did an install on a tank that the house was built around it. Was an 1800 gallon tank. But the filtration room was built directly behind it, the sump was massive, the skimmer was taller than me. Had to dive the tank to place rock work... Just flat out insane... Good luck with your build... following for sure...

OP
OP
R

Rob Bob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you don’t mind me asking....and you don’t have to answer. With a reef tank that big, how big is the house going to be?? :oops:
Sometimes it's better to be curious instead of knowing the truth.
We are here to talk aquariums.
If you are in Belgium, you may visit me when you pass my waterchemistry exam ;).
House is going to be 87 feet in length.
The basement is 3230ft² and gets smaller and smaller when you go upwards.

When there are no hurdles to take and if it was easy to maintain such an aquarium, I wouldn't do it.
The hobby of being an aquarist, is the constant focus on the waterparameters.
I'm sure things will go wrong. Only when you don't take any initiative to do something, things can't go wrong. The fascination of dealing with problems makes you a real aquarist.

I've been in contact with Andrew. Without a doubt, his aquarium is out of my league.
His knowledge is something I'm really jaelous about. Although I'm a biologist, in my eyes my knowlegde is poor.

The animals and corals is the aquarium later, won't be wild caught.
"What's in the ocean, stays in the ocean!"

OP
OP
R

Rob Bob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Turn on the this system will dim the lights in the whole town. Can’t imagine the power consumption and the electric bill.
This system will require a full time staff.
The filtrationrate will depends on sunlight. The more sunshine during the day, the faster the filtrationrate will be.
There will be a trade off between good water parameters vs power consumption.
The size of the aquarium is set at the power consumption I plan to have.

blitzkragz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The filtrationrate will depends on sunlight. The more sunshine during the day, the faster the filtrationrate will be.
There will be a trade off between good water parameters vs power consumption.
The size of the aquarium is set at the power consumption I plan to have.
If you haven't already, you might want to reach out to Eli Fruchter in Israel, who did something very similar. He probably has some "wish i had done" 's while he was in the building stage. Best of luck!

OP
OP
R

Rob Bob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't already, you might want to reach out to Eli Fruchter in Israel, who did something very similar. He probably has some "wish i had done" 's while he was in the building stage. Best of luck!
I'm in contact with Eli already many years ago when we were designing the aquarium and house.
The same people who made Eli's aquarium, will do the fiberglass/epoxy work and installation of the window of my aquarium.

KarlsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't wait to see the progress for your reef project, it's going to be amazing I'm sure. Keep reefin'

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 33 26.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back