OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have them again. Easy to contain in the grow tanks since everything is removable. I've been using R/O straight from the 1/4" hose to combat them in the display tank. Just like Joe, but on a smaller scale. With the volume we have, the 5-10 gallons of RO straight into the system doesnt affect the salinity or temp enough to cause problems. My Anthias and wrasses like the babies not big egg layers. I suck those ones out with the turkey baster once they are stunned and floating in the water column.

That is a great method...that I don't want to do again! Since they seemed to be localized to those corals, Ima gonna try this. :D

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have them again. Easy to contain in the grow tanks since everything is removable. I've been using R/O straight from the 1/4" hose to combat them in the display tank. Just like Joe, but on a smaller scale. With the volume we have, the 5-10 gallons of RO straight into the system doesnt affect the salinity or temp enough to cause problems. My Anthias and wrasses like the babies not big egg layers. I suck those ones out with the turkey baster once they are stunned and floating in the water column.
I'm confused how do you combat aefw with rodi water?

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm confused how do you combat aefw with rodi water?

Fresh water Causes an osmotic shock to many creatures including flatworms, so much so that they lose grip and float off their host where fish eat them (mostly). Across don’t do well in fw dips so we kind of hose them down with fw in the display. You can easily overdo it so be careful.

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ben Johnson came out to help replace some almost 2 decades old plumbing - a lot of valves no longer turned and the many small previous expansions needed to be tidied up. We also cleaned up some of the water damaged stand and braced it, just in case. We also installed shut of valves, new valves at the pumps under the house, an new bypass under the house and APEX flow meters.
It was great to have Ben's help, and it was really fun to justify some of the stuff I do with my system that Ben would never do with his clients and have him understand - to the point where he was even ok using Christy's blue pvc glue in some places.
We also did a lot under the house, but I am not seeing those pics right now.
Photos in no particular order
IMG_2990.jpg
Some of the plumbing looked like this, god dammed dirty vermited snails. Mostly at the discharge side of the closed loop. Interesting. The new plumbing makes it not too difficult to fill with acid to deal the the vermiteds - maybe I'll do that every few years.

IMG_2972.jpg
Most of the pipe looked like this

IMG_2970.jpg

Plumbing graveyard
IMG_2956.jpg

Ben at work

IMG_2966.jpg
Old tunze magnet that I couldn't remove with out Ben's brain. Prolly in there for 10 years.
IMG_2954.jpg
New header and support at the back of the stand

IMG_2941.jpg
What the old plumbing looked like
IMG_2918.jpg
Ben working

AAA_1809.jpg

The new plumbing.

U

User1

View Badges
Good job/work to the both of you :)

Edit - meant to ask if you believe or expect to see a different inflow now that a lot of the plumbing is cleaned up and new. Be it lower power use, more efficient, or just more output.

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good job/work to the both of you :)

Edit - meant to ask if you believe or expect to see a different inflow now that a lot of the plumbing is cleaned up and new. Be it lower power use, more efficient, or just more output.

Not really. Mostly the ability to change the flow rates was restored and I added a few new ports too spread some extra flow out if necessary. I wasn't using all the flow from the pumps. The lines were originally sized to 1.5 inches too kinda deal with potential flow loss, and they were really too bad.

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LuMIYqb.jpg

ThoseSizzlingGemsbok-size_restricted.gif

I think I just fell in love
That’s all the result of a repair that had to happen RIGHT THEN. The bulkhead was also leaking so I fixed it with putty.
I always think I’ll paint the the plumbing but i never do. Guess that means I really don’t care!

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s all the result of a repair that had to happen RIGHT THEN. The bulkhead was also leaking so I fixed it with putty.
I always think I’ll paint the the plumbing but i never do. Guess that means I really don’t care!
Awesome. Looks like many of my ‘professional’ plumbing jobs

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found out that PIO has fallen out of favor for various reasons including its artificial origin. The term people like is Peruvian Hairless, or PPSP - Pero Peruviano Sin Pello.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.2%
Back