My Hyperberry is turning blue

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

silverarrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought this would be interesting to see how this pans out. A few months ago my Hyperberry started growing into a neighboring blue acro. Fast forward a few months, the entire colony is almost blue now, it has lost most of the green/red. I clipped a small piece that was still green/red in an attempt to save the entire colony from turning blue.

12/6:
9I7A9892-1.jpg

3/16:
9I7A0161-1.jpg

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I thought this would be interesting to see how this pans out. A few months ago my Hyperberry started growing into a neighboring blue acro. Fast forward a few months, the entire colony is almost blue now, it has lost most of the green/red. I clipped a small piece that was still green/red in an attempt to save the entire colony from turning blue.

12/6:
9I7A9892-1.jpg

3/16:
9I7A0161-1.jpg

Very interesting! I cant say that I have ever seen that happen yet. Will be very interested to see how this unfolds

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So cool, what's the other acro? If not the same species (obviously different color but could be same species) I'm pretty sure you have xenogenic fusion occurring in your reef tank which is crazy! The fact that the whole coral is turning blue already is insane to me as well because in most of the documented cases of fusion I've seen it can take years for the colors to transfer throughout like that. Maybe it's faster with acros i dunno, I've mainly seen lps in my research. You should reach out to justin grabel of reefgen hes all about it.

Regardless I'm pretty sure that can only be a sign of fusion which essentially means those corals are one my friend. I'm no expert but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night.

OP
OP
silverarrow

silverarrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s pretty amazing to see this happen. The neighboring coral was a freebie (no name) but it looks just like the arc fireworks - that acro is actually more of a lighter purplish blue compare to the blue you see on the above image. Definitely not the same species as the fireworks look alike was trying to grow over the hyperberry.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s pretty amazing to see this happen. The neighboring coral was a freebie (no name) but it looks just like the arc fireworks - that acro is actually more of a lighter purplish blue compare to the blue you see on the above image. Definitely not the same species as the fireworks look alike was trying to grow over the hyperberry.
Is it still growing over the hyperberry? What does it look like where they meet?

OP
OP
silverarrow

silverarrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it still growing over the hyperberry? What does it look like where they meet?
I've already trimmed the branches where the two corals meet.

Are the blue parts still growing?
That's a great question. Looking back at my images from the past few months, I couldn't definitively say if the blue parts were growing at all. I have been away from home traveling a lot for the past few months, so overall the tank wasn't doing so great. A lot of hair algae growing around the base of the coral, that could have stunted the growth as well. Just yesterday, I noticed tissue lost near the base of the coral where hair algae was growing. I have to keep an eye on it, hopefully it doesn't STN on me.

Here is another pic showing the green to blue transformation, this was from 1/31:
9I7A0086-1.jpg

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing case of xenogenic fusion . What is the neighbouring blue acro ? Are they the same family if you know ?
What about the polyps ?

Regards,
Abhishek

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've already trimmed the branches where the two corals meet.

That's a great question. Looking back at my images from the past few months, I couldn't definitively say if the blue parts were growing at all. I have been away from home traveling a lot for the past few months, so overall the tank wasn't doing so great. A lot of hair algae growing around the base of the coral, that could have stunted the growth as well. Just yesterday, I noticed tissue lost near the base of the coral where hair algae was growing. I have to keep an eye on it, hopefully it doesn't STN on me.

Here is another pic showing the green to blue transformation, this was from 1/31:
9I7A0086-1.jpg

This coral does have a history of turning purple when super stressed I believe. Might not be an actual pigmentation transfer but a shut down response as it goes dormant.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This coral does have a history of turning purple when super stressed I believe. Might not be an actual pigmentation transfer but a shut down response as it goes dormant.

Everyday you learn new ! I didnt know hyperberry has this history . Thank you for sharing .

OP
OP
silverarrow

silverarrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Interesting - it may very well be the coral's response to stress.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back