My Ikea Stand Modification

howaboutme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sharing my modifications on an Ikea stand for my new build. I thought this would be helpful to show.

This stand will be used for a UNS 75s. My main focus is aesthetics. The stand must look like a regular piece of furniture and both my wife and I love Ikea designs. Knowing that their furniture is not likely to last a lifetime, modding it is a must. The first decision was to buy one of their "better" cabinets. Instead of furniture made of laminations, this one is made of solid wood. I wouldn't compare the density to higher end furniture but it is already built very well. The next consideration was how easy is it to mod. Having instructions posted online definitely helps.

The "stand" is the Havsta. Since my new tank is shallow (12" H), I wanted the cabinet to be higher. I chose white because it matches almost perfectly to the newly added wood bracing without me painting.

The mods consists of extra steel corner braces and new wood placed in strategic locations. I'm lucky enough to be in the building construction industry and have easy access to structural engineers to help with any questions that are outside of my own knowledge. The main issue we have to worry about (usually) is not gravity load. Even the worse stands can handle it. The most important is lateral bracing. You want the stand to not twist. In order to do this, you have to attach sides to one another, preferably three sides together if possible.

The wood I used is pre-primed boards. The white is almost an exact match and since none of it was on an exposed side, I didn't really care. I put 1 board at the bottom to support the sump. This was not really necessary but I had the material. Then another smaller one to support the front top to prevent sagging. There is one in the back that will double as support for my light stand. The rest is all about lateral support. Picts:

The plan. Solid gray is new wood, small yellow box are the bracings:

I only used 1 at the bottom, not the 2 shown here.
iQSZQzS.jpg

The right back, lots of bracing:
oSvtJJO.jpg

Full shot:
hwM2Q3U.jpg

The bottom:
hwM2Q3U.jpg

The shelf also helps:
lv6xXkW.jpg

The back:

The right side as shown is open for plumbing. The thin piece you often see is extremely important normally as it provides lateral support. In my case, it wasn't necessary but I didn't want the entire back to be open.
7yH5NbN.jpg

Just about done. I put 2 pieces on the right w/ mending plates. Those are for mounting of equipment. The inside:
5QP26mF.jpg

With sump:
zD2wIkO.jpg

With tank:
3bK3ktQ.jpg

The left side is sump, right side wall will have my controller. The shelf will have misc stuff and hide the cables.
This thing is rock solid.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for sharing - it looks like you hit your mark! It is a really clean stand that looks like a piece of furniture will still being functional!

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be cautious on the level of water absorbency the material the stand is made of portrays. It has been my experience that osb or other compressed type fiber board stuff once wet completely fails.

OP
OP
howaboutme

howaboutme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be cautious on the level of water absorbency the material the stand is made of portrays. It has been my experience that osb or other compressed type fiber board stuff once wet completely fails.
Your concern is real. However, I stated that this particular Ikea cabinet is made of solid wood. I'm under no illusion that maintenance/cleaning is not needed as I'm sure the coating is likely sub par. That's okay.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d go to a Boating Store and get a little can of Topside Paint. Brush on several coats on the inside and top of the stand. Also for under the sump get a shower pan rubber sheet from a hardware store, and build a flood reservoir in the the stand. The Marine Hardware should have a Snap Kit for attachment of the Sheet to the stand.

OP
OP
howaboutme

howaboutme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d go to a Boating Store and get a little can of Topside Paint. Brush on several coats on the inside and top of the stand. Also for under the sump get a shower pan rubber sheet from a hardware store, and build a flood reservoir in the the stand. The Marine Hardware should have a Snap Kit for attachment of the Sheet to the stand.
That's great advice for anyone looking to build their own stand. However, I will be doing none of that. :)

The first advice, admittedly, is more because of laziness at the process required to coat the stand. I know I'll need to maintain it properly. I also know that I'm likely to get bored and break down this tank way before any major deterioration occurs.

The second point was never part of the plan. I will design the plumbing so the backflow will be held wholly within the sump if the return pump is turned off. Since almost all of the plumbing that is not directly above the sump will be outside of the stand, that tub does me no good.

OP
OP
howaboutme

howaboutme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice, how do you like the UNS 75s footprint? I’m a huge UNS fan coming from the planted freshwater world. Drilling went smooth?
Yes, great tank. Drilling was simple but took a bit to get through the thick glass. Surprised there isn't more saltwater tanks using UNS. Here is a (not so recent) photo. I think this photo is a year old. I usually don't take photos of the tank for some reason.

ZBhk8Os.jpg

Ryebreadiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What overflow did you use? I ended up scoring a crazy deal on a 75s and stand, and I’m wrestling with how best to set it up. I’m actually leaning towards either an acrylic insert to make a small AIO section or just hang on back equipment to maintain the tank in case I ever want to make it a freshwater setup down the line.

OP
OP
howaboutme

howaboutme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What overflow did you use? I ended up scoring a crazy deal on a 75s and stand, and I’m wrestling with how best to set it up. I’m actually leaning towards either an acrylic insert to make a small AIO section or just hang on back equipment to maintain the tank in case I ever want to make it a freshwater setup down the line.

I use the Fiji Cube Low Profile overflow. It works great. I personally would not do an AIO w/ this tank. More space in tank is better. You can always plug the hole later if you want to switch to FW.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back