My jack-o-lantern being eaten by bugs

Shanel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut this jack-o-lantern in half 5 days ago. Now it looks like it's being eaten by some bugs. What I'm unsure if is the bugs are killing it or are they just eating the dying flesh. Any help is greatly Appreciated.
20210326_042413.jpg

OP
OP
Shanel

Shanel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I was going to remove the frag once the lights came on. That didn't work. When the lights came on they all ran off. Seems as they don't like being out in the daylight. Now I'm concerned about the other corals in the tank.
20210326_083126.jpg

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well I was going to remove the frag once the lights came on. That didn't work. When the lights came on they all ran off. Seems as they don't like being out in the daylight. Now I'm concerned about the other corals in the tank.
20210326_083126.jpg

Seems like you may have red bugs, read this article, hopefully it’s something you can fix quickly..

OP
OP
Shanel

Shanel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no I was afraid of that. Thanks for the reply. I'll be calling the vet. Hopefully they can get me the pill. Online stores want prescription :rolleyes:

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Oh no I was afraid of that. Thanks for the reply. I'll be calling the vet. Hopefully they can get me the pill. Online stores want prescription :rolleyes:
the VET is your best BET.... I would like to suggest that you look into a microscope to ID the life in your tank. Its not a hobby anymore, time to go down the rabbit hole!!!!

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
any thoughts on one that will give me a clear picture?

i was looking for some on ebay, there are so many different types out there... the most popular ones are the HD camera ones with the slide. they are less than 100

OP
OP
Shanel

Shanel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
like it, Thanks. I did a quick search on Amazon and top rated:

The tank took me months to setup. It's been up and running for about 6 months now, so it's still fairly young.

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
like it, Thanks. I did a quick search on Amazon and top rated:

The tank took me months to setup. It's been up and running for about 6 months now, so it's still fairly young.

I noticed you changed out your LEDs from the thread link you sent me.. how did you like the poop doom lol... jk Dsuny is OK for the price. but what is your opinion on them? I got the T50, I need 2 for my tank, but I got one to start and see if its a lighting company i want to stick to rather than go full on, and get all my lighting for my refugium / future frag tank and so forth..

Your system is so complicated compared to mine... lol

IMG_3501.JPG

OP
OP
Shanel

Shanel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your setup, very clean. I have used the turing 30's for years without any issues. I have them on my freshwater tank as well. They are the freshwater version of course. I found they lack the uv blue which brings out the color in coral. That's why i bought the orphek uv/blue light to go with them. They lack that extra shimmer in the water that the high end lights give, but they do have some shimmer to them. If you place them too close to the surface of the water you will see the different color lights on the rock. meaning the spread of the leds are not very wide. other than those little issues for the money I am very happy with them and have had no failures. Right now I am in the middle of changing out the lights. Just took those off 2 weekends ago and put on the Kessil A360X with the wifi module. I still have some wiring to route. I'm also changing out my 2 KPS's & 2 KPM's for 2 WAV's and 2 4k icecap Gyre's. So I'm waiting to do the wiring after the powerhead upgrades. Hoping to get the pumps in the tank this weekend. Cross your fingers. I have had 40g breeders for many years and used just about every china brand equipment I could find on eBay just due to budget. After my last tank sprung a leak I went full in this time I had some money saved and I've been wanting a Hi-Tech tank for years so I finally bit the bullet and did it. I can't grow cheto in my fuge it just keeps wilting away. Are you having any issues?. Waiting for the tank to mature a little more before attempting it again. just using No3:po4x right now.

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I like your setup, very clean. I have used the turing 30's for years without any issues. I have them on my freshwater tank as well. They are the freshwater version of course. I found they lack the uv blue which brings out the color in coral. That's why i bought the orphek uv/blue light to go with them. They lack that extra shimmer in the water that the high end lights give, but they do have some shimmer to them. If you place them too close to the surface of the water you will see the different color lights on the rock. meaning the spread of the leds are not very wide. other than those little issues for the money I am very happy with them and have had no failures. Right now I am in the middle of changing out the lights. Just took those off 2 weekends ago and put on the Kessil A360X with the wifi module. I still have some wiring to route. I'm also changing out my 2 KPS's & 2 KPM's for 2 WAV's and 2 4k icecap Gyre's. So I'm waiting to do the wiring after the powerhead upgrades. Hoping to get the pumps in the tank this weekend. Cross your fingers. I have had 40g breeders for many years and used just about every china brand equipment I could find on eBay just due to budget. After my last tank sprung a leak I went full in this time I had some money saved and I've been wanting a Hi-Tech tank for years so I finally bit the bullet and did it. I can't grow cheto in my fuge it just keeps wilting away. Are you having any issues?. Waiting for the tank to mature a little more before attempting it again. just using No3:po4x right now.
I just started the cycle in this tank in feb 2021, the chaeto was given to me, I just setup my fuge, its a 20g clear for life acylic tank. that i plumbed into my sump, and ran a manfold from my m2 pump. I also added some live rock in the fuge, so i havnt had it long enough for it to grow. used DR Tims to start the ammonia cycle, took 10- 12 days or so till ammonia got to zero.... Iam looking into getting the icecap 4K gyre. for the time being I have a spraybar for moving the water from my return pump, so it has the same behavior of a gyre. having the reef floating helps keep the sand bed clean and clear from poop..

check out my tread, just started it not too long ago.

OP
OP
Shanel

Shanel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Local Vet does not carry Interceptor. Does anyone know of another way of getting the same chemical. I'd like to get it tomorrow if possible.

OP
OP
Shanel

Shanel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulled the Jacko out this am before the lights came on and man there was a ton of them on the poor little guy. Definitely looks like there is a dark spot on their bodies. Can't wait to see what they look like under the microscope.

OP
OP
Shanel

Shanel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently the vets in my area are only in it for the money. I have called around today with no luck. Nobody cares or cares to help. So disappointed in humanity today. Here is a photo under a microscope.

Image_2021-03-27 13_14_14_147.JPG

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut this jack-o-lantern in half 5 days ago. Now it looks like it's being eaten by some bugs. What I'm unsure if is the bugs are killing it or are they just eating the dying flesh. Any help is greatly Appreciated.
20210326_042413.jpg

I wouldn’t be so quick to determine its caused by a pest. Its definitely not a red bug since that is a pest that attacks Acropora. Don’t be so quick to use interceptor unless you are 100% sure you have red bugs as it will kill or harm other critters in your tank (your pods) and other crustaceans (shrimps, crabs). I suspect your Leptoseris is RTN (rapid tissue necrosis) or receding due to the stress from fragging. The bugs are most likely just feeding off the dying or dead flesh. Do you happen to have any shrimps (sexy shrimps?) in your tank? In my experience they may irritate new or stressed corals by picking at the dead flesh/fragged section which may in turn further aggravate the coral causing more tissue recession.

OP
OP
Shanel

Shanel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I have pistol and Peppermint Shrimp. I am no expert on these pods that's why I'm posting pictures. The video of the pods swimming around looks like some photos I see online. Hope someone knows by the pics I posted.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

• I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Other.

Back