My JBJ 45 Build!

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 kessils on my 30 gal. JBJ 1 360 and the 160 tuna blue mostly soft corals no SPS. Do you think that's to much lighting? It seems with just the 360 there's to much shadow.
I don't know about the two kessil although I did ask Kessil about which was best and if I remember they said one 360

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 kessils on my 30 gal. JBJ 1 360 and the 160 tuna blue mostly soft corals no SPS. Do you think that's to much lighting? It seems with just the 360 there's to much shadow.

Sorry Chris I have no experience with the Kessils. Shadowing is an issue with many LED types.

If your corals are maintaining coloration and expanding normally as well as growing, than your lighting strategy is probably effective. :)

@nagreen, hope you do not mind the lighting discussion within your thread. :)

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tahoe61... for the time being i'm going to use the Current Marine that is on my 29 gallon. I know i'll need to upgrade but i'm going to wait a few months/as long as i can get away with it. I like the Ocean Revive T247s though and you can't really beat that price. What do you think?

I had to googled the fixture, images showed some with a T5 retro, on a 45 gallon optimally you might consider two or the retro T5 addition to get complete coverage. It really all depends on what you want to do with the light.

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry Chris I have no experience with the Kessils. Shadowing is an issue with many LED types.

If your corals are maintaining coloration and expanding normally as well as growing, than your lighting strategy is probably effective. :)

@nagreen, hope you do not mind the lighting discussion within your thread. :)
Sorry about that it just seemed like a good opportunity to ask my question:rolleyes:

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy the mounts at Marine Depot or BRS, a talented individual could easily make them. It looks like the Ocean Revive T247s that @nagreen is commonly hung.

OP
OP
nagreen

nagreen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lighting discussion is absolutely fine! I'm still deciding what lighting I should go with! I'm a college student though so the price of the OR T247s are much more appealing to me than kessils or others!

OP
OP
nagreen

nagreen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the tank set up today and it looks absolutely awesome! It's gonna kill me to wait for this cycle to be over!
IMG_1477275618.614906.jpg
IMG_1477275661.103341.jpg

IMG_1477275681.387276.jpg

IMG_1477275691.506485.jpg

I'm running some carbon, already cycled matrix from the LFS (their tanks are pristine), and filter floss. How long would you guess my cycle would take? I'm thinking about throwing my green chromis in there to speed things up as well. Or maybe a couple mollies?

25 lbs of dry MarcoRocks
20 lbs Aragalive Reef Sand

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good-looking scape!

OP
OP
nagreen

nagreen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recommendations on a good cheap powerhead? And should one powerhead and the two returns be enough?

OP
OP
nagreen

nagreen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newest purchases for the JBJ!
IMG_1477921729.254294.jpg

I originally put off buying and ATO for a couple months but I was away this past weekend and came back and the water in the sump area was so low the pumps were close to running dry! So i went ahead and bought the Tunze Osmolator Nano. Can't wait to get this thing set up.
I've been using some test strips someone gave me for free and they were reading 0 ammonia.. i was pretty confused because a week into the cycle, 0 ammonia?? Then i looked at the test strips bottle and found out my test strips are 11 years old :) :) :).. so i bought the API kit!
I also bought this DJ Switch Power Strip which should fit great in the stand and i think it'll be a great addition!

OP
OP
nagreen

nagreen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now i need to start thinking about lighting.. what do you guys have on your jbj 45? Is one AI Prime enough? I'll want to grow softies and LPS and maybe a bta down the road? Or would i need to go up to a AI hydra 26?
Also thinking about an Ocean Revive T247

OP
OP
nagreen

nagreen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i started the tank with pre-cycled/cultured seachem matrix that i bought at the LFS. I used 30 lbs of dry rock and 20 lbs of live sand. It's been a week and half since i set it up. And a chromis has been in there about a week. I tested ammonia tonight and it was .25.. is that close enough to zero to go ahead and move my clowns and shrimp over from my old tank? How about corals?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Now i need to start thinking about lighting.. what do you guys have on your jbj 45? Is one AI Prime enough? I'll want to grow softies and LPS and maybe a bta down the road? Or would i need to go up to a AI hydra 26?
Also thinking about an Ocean Revive T247
Did you decide on the light? I think the prime is probably good for the footprint of that tank. How about the powerhead? What is your budget? Jebaos are cheap but IME they don't hold up over time. I'm an Ecotech guy, so I'm always going to recommend MP's, but I know you were looking for something more budget conscious.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jebaos are hit or miss. I've bought 4 of them in my time and one of them crapped out. My jebao rule of thumb is if you buy one, buy 2. If you buy 2, buy 4. LOL. Either way you can purchase 4 jebao RW/PP/SW to One Ecotech MP10 QD.

Also the new Jebao SW series is Apex compatible.

OP
OP
nagreen

nagreen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you decide on the light? I think the prime is probably good for the footprint of that tank. How about the powerhead? What is your budget? Jebaos are cheap but IME they don't hold up over time. I'm an Ecotech guy, so I'm always going to recommend MP's, but I know you were looking for something more budget conscious.

Still haven't decided on a light.. just been looking around the forums for something nice but used. I definitely like the Hydra 26s. And yes a jebao is my front runner at this point! Do you think that one jebao and my two returns will provide enough flow for the tank?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 16.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 53 43.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back