My Large Lion fish is swimming to surface and pushing head out to 'gulp' air

Ken Roane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing this for the past 3 weeks a little but now very often. Very healthy eyes, skin, fins, appetite for 5 years. I can't figure out what is the problem other than flukes. If they are in the gills, will a fresh water bath remove them as it does if on the skin?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater dip works the fastest on flukes on the fish's skin. Then the flukes within the gills as they are partially protected by the mucous coating on the gill membrane. And lastly the dip will work on the flukes within the eyes. But the last one can be very difficult to remove and may require meds or long duration of hypo to get to them.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump. My lionfish is doing this, swims near top and squirts water out of his mouth, can’t figure out why, I have dipped other fish in the tank and don’t see flukes.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are areas of my tank without lids and he will actually spray water onto the floor by squirting it out of mouth

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lion is about a foot long and does this as well as breach like a whale. It is his normal behavior. I have a canopy so it isn't a problem.

YES! Exactly, he sticks his entire head out of the water , thank you this makes me feel better ,

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YES! Exactly, he sticks his entire head out of the water , thank you this makes me feel better ,
You're welcome. Just offering my experience, so be cautious that yours may vary. But yes, he splashes water around all the time. :grinning-squinting-face:

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have had him or have you introduced a new addition. This is sometimes attributed to flukes, if he goes of feeding or his eyes get cloudy, I would become concerned.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have had him or have you introduced a new addition. This is sometimes attributed to flukes, if he goes of feeding or his eyes get cloudy, I would become concerned.

Eats like crazy and no visible signs of flukes

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 121 42.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 97 34.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 45 15.9%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.8%
Back