My Magnificent Sea Anemone Journey....

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big improvements there...when the anemone looks "dirty" like that, the zoox is definitely increasing.

Keep it up!

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fam, just another quick update before my work out. These are shots from today and the colors are coming back strong!!

1602800002863.png

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening family and happy Sunday. Another quick update. The anemone is getting much much better. Longer tentacles and very very sticky... like carpet anemone sticky. When I feed it with tongs I have to slowly remove them from the anemone as I fear it will take off a tentacle or two. Also it eats much faster... I recently switched from Mysis to larger krill... it eats in about 10 minutes. Before I would literally have to wait nearly an hour and run the clownfish away to prevent them from stealing the food... i no longer have that fear.... they cant steal food from the anemone now.

From earlier today:
1603077624298.png

1603077667729.png

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Friday family! Here is another update.... I think I'm out of the woods barring any major catastrophe, which should be mitigated because i have a generator!! The install was done about a week ago and literally 12 seconds after power to the grid is out my generator kicks in and powers my home completely.

Ok back to the mag :) . I would like to personally thank the following people: @Maxx , @ca1ore , @DeniseAndy , @OrionN and everyone that contributed. The tentacles are extremely sticky, getting longer and color is returning rapidly. Rather than have a partially bleached appearance, it now has a pastel purple color. Its also getting bigger and is really starting to look like a bonified Magnificent Sea Anemone and I couldn't be happier. Just waiting for it to get all of it color back....ill continue to post my journey, thanks for tagging along.

1603480937179.png

Last edited:

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks great and it I am happy to see this.
It did almost look like a goner so great job.
I have save a few giganteas in my life but not a Mag.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great and it I am happy to see this.
It did almost look like a goner so great job.
I have save a few giganteas in my life but not a Mag.
Thanks bud, its been a journey and i have massive respect for these anemones and i understand completely as to why they are recommended for "experts".

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s quite remarkable how far gone these things can look but still be recoverable. My old mentor used to say that they could look like hammered dog #%*? one day; fine the next. I commend you for your perseverance.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So great that it is doing well. I just had to treat one of my malus again last week. They can bounce back with proper care which you obviously worked hard to give it. Well done!

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i received a pleasant surprise today......This Magnificent Sea Anemone is going to be gorgeous!! The colors are really starting to come in and it looks even better than when i 1st received it. I don't think the camera can do it justice but, the tentacles are getting a deep purple to them while the tips have a purplish/royal blue color.

1603856514161.png

Last edited:

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i received a pleasant surprise today......This Magnificent Sea Anemone is going to be gorgeous!! The colors are really starting to come in and it looks even better than when i 1st received it. I don't think the camera can do it justice but, the tentacles are getting a deep purple to them while the tips have a purplish/royal blue color.

1603856514161.png
Looking good, no, looking great.

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t remember what happened when your mag had short tentacles? Was it another course of treatment that then bleached it further or did you just do regular feedings as per Tom?

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t remember what happened when your mag had short tentacles? Was it another course of treatment that then bleached it further or did you just do regular feedings as per Tom?
No the bleaching event came from the original treatment, just took a little while for it to happen. I know at the beginning it would routinely spit zooxanthellae. The short tentacles was from the anemone not getting enough nutrients therefore it was consuming itself.

Regular feeding reversed this and the size, as you may or may not recall i had concerns about the anemone shrinking...

jamie1210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No the bleaching event came from the original treatment, just took a little while for it to happen. I know at the beginning it would routinely spit zooxanthellae. The short tentacles was from the anemone not getting enough nutrients therefore it was consuming itself.

Regular feeding reversed this and the size, as you may or may not recall i had concerns about the anemone shrinking...

are you still feeding regularly? If not, do you think the anemone would start shrinking again if you stopped regular feedings?

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you still feeding regularly? If not, do you think the anemone would start shrinking again if you stopped regular feedings?
That's a great question, I suspect right now it would? My conclusion is I will continue to feed until its getting too large and I will evaluate at that time.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back