My Most Sought After Fish... Yours?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like a trio of captive bred hula fish. They seem to never be available in our area for sure. These would just go nicely in my tank. Not a total dream fish, but something that would make my tank more fun.

OP
OP
Dree

Dree

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am big into surgeonfish, so I would go with either one below:

Black Longnose Tang

BlkLngTang.jpg

Gem Tang

lg_Gem_Tang.jpg
My LFS in Boca Raton has Gem Tangs usually once every other month or so, maybe a little more often. Beautiful!

OP
OP
Dree

Dree

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like a trio of captive bred hula fish. They seem to never be available in our area for sure. These would just go nicely in my tank. Not a total dream fish, but something that would make my tank more fun.
Do they have some sort of weird characteristic? I’ve never heard of them.

Florida Sunshine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah the elusive blue spot jawfish. One of my very favorite fish. I had a pair for several years until one day they both jumped through my screen top the same night.
Unfortunately, I haven't seen one for sale in years. I believe the last one I bought was from reef a palooza in Orlando a number of years ago.
Incredible fish with great personalities unless you get one that just stays in it's den all day. I've had more than one that did that.
Very tight top with small screen is a must with these fish.

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Centropyge resplendens is my white whale. I saw one once; store i was working in brought in and a collector came and bought it out of the bucket. It never even touched the tank, but the color of this fish was absolutely insane. It seemed like it was glowing in the bucket. That's a fish that I want, but absolutely would never be able to afford (if they were even allowed to be collected again). I'd pay just to see one in an aquarium...

Crested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dream fish is the coral catshark! But as a college student in a tiny apartment, it's probably the least realistic option out there haha
Coral_Catshark_14018.jpeg

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would Love to have a Blue Line Angel, but I am worried it would eat my corals...but I just LOVE the look of this fish! Also a Clarion Angel fits the bill but I am not sure I could do the price. I am sure there are many others as well...what I need is a 1000 gal FOWLR tank and then I could get busy filling it!! (although I am certain my wife would freeze the bank account soon after I got started!! LOL)

Sunny Goold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Close -

blue striped Tamarin.

Blue-Striped-Tamarin-Wrasse.jpg
That's my dream fish too - by a mile - but way too pricey for me - I'd pay EUR300 - but the problem is the acclimation

Since I was a kid I've loved Emperor Angels but tank size and that they may eat juicy LPS and clams means I won't get one

So as for a realistic fish I will go with another Anampses - the Psyche Head ;)

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much were they listed for?

Their price varies from source to source and your connection with the fish suppliers.
I was offered 8K for one with some head aberration. Or 5K for moderate head aberration. I was told it'll heal with good diet and time. That was the risk that shunted me from getting it.
I think they're in the teens K fish if you can find them.

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their price varies from source to source and your connection with the fish suppliers.
I was offered 8K for one with some head aberration. Or 5K for moderate head aberration. I was told it'll heal with good diet and time. That was the risk that shunted me from getting it.

$10-15k was my guess...

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're truly interested, I'm sure you know they are captive bred in Hawaii by Karen Brittain.
$10-15k was my guess...
18-20k for CB ones

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I hear ya lol. I've seen offerings where for a bit more they'll fly you out, put you up for the night, you can meet her and pick out your fish. I know some LFS have access to it, idk how hard it'd be for the common one to take part of. I'd do it, but it'd have to be a one way ticket with a tank in Hawaii for me because the wife would kill me when I got back.

00Barracuda00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8C6BCB2A-446A-4D17-B8E7-8EA5E0688F93.jpeg 666AA124-6ED1-4246-863B-60100EF1635F.jpeg
Fench Angel and Queen Angel.

I'm new to the hobby, but I've been diving for years. I've spent hours of bottom time sitting and watching the Frenchies in dart around the reefs in FL. I'd like to have a large enough tank for them one day, but starting with a Reefer 350 kind of limits the fish list a bit.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back