My Most Sought After Fish... Yours?

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish responsible for getting me interested in this hobby is the niger trigger. I recently saw a 7” pink tail trigger the lfs got as a trade in and this fish is stunning. I’m working on a 90g so I don’t have the space for these but one day...

OP
OP
Dree

Dree

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Dragonnet and Green spotted Mandarin. Gonna have both of these bad boys by the years end, hopefully!
Make sure you’ve got a nice pod population! I had a dragonette for YEARS until he got spooked in the middle of the night and jumped. I love them, so chill

OP
OP
Dree

Dree

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd have to go with the infamous Japanese Dragon Eel. Nothing else is quite as fearsome yet fascinating at the same time.

My buddy at one of the LFS has one he got for free from someone breaking down his tank (lucky huh?) and it's a beauty! Too bad they're worth 800-2000$ depending on where you get yours from. If it were like 200$ then I'd totally get one!
These are without a doubt one of the most stunning creatures we could put in a tank. I also like the banana eels and dwarf golden morays.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wish upon a star, never gonna happen but “hey, I can dream?” fish:

C. Lanceolatus
c630f8a7f1718ec909a48a7a135bc15f.jpg

Most of my realistic “most-wanted”s I’ve now had the pleasure of owning at one point of time or another. I still would love a Potter’s leopard but I refuse to order online because of how awful they are to ship and they are NEVER at my LFS.

The genicanthus personatus is one I’d love to have too... if I ever found one for less than $20k [emoji15] well, much less.

And a moorish idol, but I’m too afraid to really try that one.

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a second thought your title said your most sought after fish were mine...I was like lock and load!

I am easy, I would like a small (5 or so) school of Blue Reef Chromis.

The only part that's not easy about the 5 or so blue reef chromis is the schooling part.
I have 5 Blue Reef and 4 regular blue/green chromis and they're all over the place. Knock on wood but I've had them for awhile now too.

I think my yellow tangs are better schooling than the chromis and anthias for that matter.
original.jpg

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not too hard to please, just would someday like a large enough tank to have: a pair or trio of schooling bannerfish, harem of flame angels, mix of the other mostly reef safe butterflys, pair of regal angels, and a whole mess of anthias and wrasses. I'd be happy with even the common ones, no need for the crazy expensive stuff.

Funky12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
upload_2019-3-6_14-0-23.jpeg

Lunula Trigger for my fish only tank. Don't see them but a few times a year and they are $800. Can't pull the "trigger".

U

User1

View Badges
I'm pretty plain I guess since all I'm really looking for are:

1. Millet / Millet-Seed butterflyfish
2. Bluegill Longfin

I like the Millet Seed's because they, or so the internet threads say, are more or less reef safe and I've been diving with them on my trips to Hawaii here and there. So it reminds me of the warm water dives and it would be nice to bring a trio into my home.

The Bluegill - well - that is just an amazingly striking fish with regards to color. Not something you see often and also not really that expensive. I think I have to see how it would fare with my damsels and other fish but I think it would look really cool.

I don't have much else I guess sadly.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they have some sort of weird characteristic? I’ve never heard of them.

They are just unique. I was looking for captive bred fish and saw them from ORA (Trachinops taeniatus). Anyway, they were pretty, stayed smallish, liked to be in groups, so seemed like a great addition. They also have some fun movements when in groups. I was actually going to get 5 or 7 if possible. One day maybe. https://www.orafarm.com/product/eastern-hulafish/

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been keeping a reef tank for roughly 8 years now. I have had potters angels, leopard wrasses, mandarin dragonettes, blue tangs, yellow tangs, blotchy anthias, sunburst anthias, cave basslets, and clownfish of course.

Currently, I have a pair of Rainsford Gobies and an ORA Yellow Assessor, who swims upside-down, yes.

My most sought after fish, of which I have already owned once in the past, but lost him to carpet surfing, is a Blue Spotted Jawfish (BSJ). Unfortunately, I have not seen a BSJ in my LFS here in SoFlo in at least 1.5 years. Has anyone seen them recently or know of a store that may have one that you can help link me up with and potentially ship? Anyone have any idea on why they're so scarce now?

Feel free to answer: What is your most sought after fish and why?
I thought I saw one on Live Aquaria last week or maybe it was Blue Zoo.

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8C6BCB2A-446A-4D17-B8E7-8EA5E0688F93.jpeg 666AA124-6ED1-4246-863B-60100EF1635F.jpeg
Fench Angel and Queen Angel.

I'm new to the hobby, but I've been diving for years. I've spent hours of bottom time sitting and watching the Frenchies in dart around the reefs in FL. I'd like to have a large enough tank for them one day, but starting with a Reefer 350 kind of limits the fish list a bit.
We have four angels in our 300g. I lov the angels and am thinking someday adding more? We picked up a juvenile queen in November and added with adult Koran. It’s a beautiful fish and huge personality. It has no fear. Not a good picture but I just happen to take this yesterday! My favorite angel is the annularis! We have one of those in our 300g reef. It’s stunning! If I got another angel I would want a scribble and a regal. Just don’t know if the Koran would behave!

932E4546-1C26-42C1-8B1F-B44C21FB0FD1.jpeg

14551D7D-1370-408A-89BB-4BBC66585E75.jpeg

E5D6B2DC-FD4B-48ED-88ED-37A9951EBBB5.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Australian Harlequin tusk and Lg Queen angel

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to keep an emperor angel or a clown trigger, but not taking chances with them eating coral or other fish. Maybe I'll have a second tank as a fowlr some day.

Clown triggers are definitely possible in a reef. I have had one for over 2 years. Will he be a model citizen, probably not, but he will not devastate a reef like an angel or a butterfly fish.

I have a few on my list that I would love to have but terrified what they may do to my corals. Blue face and majest angels would definitely be at the top of my list. I also like triggers but already have a clown, don't want WWIII to break out in my tank.

Last edited:

reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown triggers are definitely possible in a reef. I have had one for over 2 years. Will he be a model citizen, probably not, but he will not devastate a reef like an angel or a butterfly fish.

I have a few on my list that I would love to have but terrified what they may do to my corals. Blue face and majest angels would definitely be at the top of my list. I also like triggers but already have a clown, don't want WWIII to break out in my tank.

I'm sure a lot of fish are possible, but it's not worth the risk or effort if they decide they don't like it. I'd rather keep the peace and not have to rip a tank apart because I tested my luck(I don't have the good kind) on a possibly safe fish.

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a smallish (for reefing) tank and I briefly had an ORA Whitespotted Pygmy Filefish. She was AWESOME. Until she swam into the powerhead. I'm on several wait lists hoping ORA can produce some more. And I've since made my powerheads fish resistant.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back