OP
dougers31

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too keep saying this is the last fish, the last fish. hehe. I have a 50, same footprint as your tank. Got 7 fish and might add one or two more. Dwarf angels are my favorite!

Heh, Ragnar is doing well and seems to be the boss even though he is probably the smallest fish in there:) One issue I've been having lately though is the coral seems to be struggling and I also have this light brown/tan slimy stuff that is growing all over. I'm guessing it's some kind of bacteria but not sure...

OP
OP
dougers31

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the coral struggling? What are your parameters?

Params looked pretty decent as of a week and a half ago... cal 440, alk around 9, and mag 1440. I'm pretty sure I have dinos(tan looking slimy junk) and have just started to treat them with hyd. peroxide. I have heard that dinos can release toxins which can affect corals etc so I'm hoping this will fix my issue. I also just got my apex lite going so my temps should also be more stable. As far as what's being affected it is mostly my chalices(white blotches/bleaching(?) and severe fading of colors) and some zoas(some not opening and wasting away while others seem totally fine). Sps seems to be doing ok but just hanging in there.

OP
OP
dougers31

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a fairly current cell phone pic.
CAM00070.jpg

I'm still battling dinos or something similar and am using hyd. peroxide but so far(7 days) no results other than clean sand(which is always good). Some of my sps seem to be coloring up but still having issues with the chalices and some zoas. Will probably try some form of ats next.

OP
OP
dougers31

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Latest less than great FTS...
18449450_10212393369776601_4238540102234887643_o.jpg
It looks different today than what this pic shows(taken a month or so ago). I sold the zoa colony on the right and replaced with about 200+ Eye of Sauron's :) Couple other changes but that's the biggest one.

OP
OP
dougers31

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fought dino's for about a year on and off, then kinda gave up. Decided to focus on fish and easier corals as the sps did not do well with dino issue. Eventually I yanked the skimmer, and did very few(if any)water changes. Apparently these steps were what was needed cause now my sps is coloring up and growing and zoas, softies, lps are expanding and doing well. I think the lack of water changes finally knocked out the dino's and then it was a positive chain reaction from there. For now filtration is basically a refugium(just added a diy turf scrubber that looks like a mini acrylic sluice box from GoldRush), and some carbon.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back