my new baby... AKA The Café

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aquifer in their area is being depleted as we speak. Draining the Colorado River is about to end for a lot of folks in the Southwest. The Saudi's are pumping out of the aquifer as fast as possible to grow alfalfa to ship to their homeland to feed their animals. Just a few complications to GEO cooling in the Southwest.

Unless you are talking a ground loop system.
Why is the united states not fixing that. That seems absolutely awful and terrible.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The aquifer in their area is being depleted as we speak. Draining the Colorado River is about to end for a lot of folks in the Southwest. The Saudi's are pumping out of the aquifer as fast as possible to grow alfalfa to ship to their homeland to feed their animals. Just a few complications to GEO cooling in the Southwest.

Unless you are talking a ground loop system.
I was thinking a loop system.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old Man Dance GIF by Justin Gammon

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised more people in AZ don't do Geo cooling in the summers. Is there something I don't know about?
April Fools Physics GIF by PBS Digital Studios
Not sure if you're up on the southwest us water crisis, but we're essentially out of water and still building at breakneck pace. Cooling will be very low on the importance level when mead and Powell are dry. First goes las Vegas, then LA and Phoenix metro.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is the united states not fixing that. That seems absolutely awful and terrible.
Got any ideas? There is no private money for a solution so it's going to have to be a public works project. Where does THAT money come from?.

Desalination isn't an option at that scale.

Tying into the Mississippi may be the best option we have currently, but will take 10 years minimum, from breaking ground. Think about how long the environmental impact study will take alone...

In order to refill the Southwest reservoirs over the course of 3 years, They would need to build the equivalent of two Los Angeles Rivers capacity of water movement.

That's not a small task and it isn't Imminent, YET.

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if you're up on the southwest us water crisis, but we're essentially out of water and still building at breakneck pace. Cooling will be very low on the importance level when mead and Powell are dry. First goes las Vegas, then LA and Phoenix metro.
I was not aware of the situation, just feels odd that there wouldn't be anything in motion to do anything. It'll get dire just like global warming before anyone does anything. Already seems dire based on the descriptions given.

And now I wonder more why those areas are so expensive vs a place like Ohio.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was not aware of the situation, just feels odd that there wouldn't be anything in motion to do anything. It'll get dire just like global warming before anyone does anything. Already seems dire based on the descriptions given.

And now I wonder more why those areas are so expensive vs a place like Ohio.
We agree. When lake Mead falls below a certain level and no power is coming from the hoover dam shuts the lights off in Las Vegas and Phoenix, people may notice.

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even with a loop system it’s really not cost effective… you would have to get the loop deep enough underground to get adequate heat exchange to cool the water. The cost of that in itself kind of takes it out of the affordable range…I just completed a geo system for the national guard down here…southeast…even with 26- 260’ deep wells, and variable flow pumps pushing water through the wells and then back through a plate heat exchanger, best I’ve been able to get so far is a 5* delta between entering and leaving temp at the plate exchanger. Granted it’s been hot this summer and the ground water is warm, but I expected more of a delta temp with that many wells and at that depth.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Born in Southern California many moons ago. Even then people were talking about how water was going to be a problem. Yet my first airplane ride explained it all to me a mere child. Flying over the Los Angeles basin and all those shinning spots on the ground. Yep swimming pools in a majority of back yards. But we need more water from the Colorado River cause we are all parched! Let's grow Almonds in the desert. Another bright idea. And the hits keep on rolling. California is indeed the land of fruits and nuts and I should know I was born there. 60 plus years and they just keep building and building without a care about the water supply. People on the rivers of the mid-west should arm themselves cause the Southwest is coming for their water and they should not give it to them. There is a reason T Boone Pickens spent a lot of his fortune buying water rights where ever he could. Water may very well be the next gold rush.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Born in Southern California many moons ago. Even then people were talking about how water was going to be a problem. Yet my first airplane ride explained it all to me a mere child. Flying over the Los Angeles basin and all those shinning spots on the ground. Yep swimming pools in a majority of back yards. But we need more water from the Colorado River cause we are all parched! Let's grow Almonds in the desert. Another bright idea. And the hits keep on rolling. California is indeed the land of fruits and nuts and I should know I was born there. 60 plus years and they just keep building and building without a care about the water supply. People on the rivers of the mid-west should arm themselves cause the Southwest is coming for their water and they should not give it to them. There is a reason T Boone Pickens spent a lot of his fortune buying water rights where ever he could. Water may very well be the next gold rush.
California is also a 3.4 a Trillion dollar economy with 40 million people. There's a human element there.

Best reason to give California water. . Do you really want all the Californians to spread out in every other place in the US and spread all that stupid?

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
California is also a 3.4 a Trillion dollar economy with 40 million people. There's a human element there.

Best reason to give California water. . Do you really want all the Californians to spread out in every other place in the US and spread all that stupid?
Saw an article they were moving to Mexico. Cya enjoy Mexico.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Money and people mean nothing when you run out of your own natural resources. Just ask China. Ever notice all the sink holes in the middle of their cities? Loss of water table due to pumping out the aquifers. The Southwest could start to experience the same.

I am not just picking on California just take a look at Florida and the devastation from the last storm. Building in some zones should be restricted so that natural barrier islands can buffer these storms. Building to withstand flood and wind is possible. Sorry but Florida should not allow manufactured homes at all anymore. There are choices we can make now to prevent or limit tomorrow's problems. When I lived in Kentucky it seemed only the manufactured homes got hit by tornadoes. It is almost like they were magnets for the storms.

Anyway back to fish and corals.:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Back