My Old Tank

michael_cb_125

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

It has been a while since I have made any posts, and even longer since any sort of tank update.

Tank information: Elos 120

I purchased this setup from Jesse at Elos, 10 years ago. At the time my wife and I were living with her parents, and the tank was setup in the living room. I had all the bells and whistles and all the equipment you could ask for. While the tank was on order and then cycling I purchased the only two fish to ever be in the tank, two baby bandit angelfish. They were both 1" when I got them, and they went into a 30 gallon rimless QT for almost a full year. They arrived with flukes, ick and intestinal worms. They made it through a super long QT and finally into the Elos. The tank went through many changes, LPS reef, Mixed Reef, Deepwater Reef. I have always kept the tank cool for the Bandits, so SPS have been off limits.

Three years ago my wife and I built a house and the tank and fish were transferred.

Today:

The tank sits in the living room and has rock and the same two Bandits from 10 years ago.
Most folks would cringe at my maintenance routine, but it has worked for me for the last 6 years.
No water Changes, No Skimmer, No Additives or Supplements.
I clean the glass and pumps, and top off with well water when needed.
My nitrates stay at 5, but my phosphates are high (due to well water).

For the last year my wife has been on me about getting it full of coral again, so I am giving in, LOL.

Since this tank is and has always been centered around my Bandits, coral additions will need to handle cooler water, so alas no SPS.

I just ordered a new Tunze in sump skimmer, and plan to get my phosphates in check. I have what I consider a light bio-load (2 angels in a 94 gallon tank), so nutrients will be a non issue.

My water temp fluctuates with the seasons, with a range of 60-72.
So my plan is to stock with corals that can tolerate this (Caribbean Gorgs, softies, etc.)

I will snap some photos this evening, so you guys can see what I am working with.

~Michael

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to the pictures Michael sounds great

And welcome back!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back