My peppermint shrimp just released babies

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to say goodnight to the tank and shined a light in. I noticed 1 of my peppermint shrimp up high on the rocks and it freaked out and shot to the bottom. While doing so hundreds of babies released into the water. I’ve seen emerald crabs release babies but this was a first for my shrimp.

Is there a way to upload a small vid I took with my iPhone?

OP
OP
John3

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned off my filter pump, leaving just the powerheads running. I came back 15 mins later and every single fry was gone. I can’t imagine they were all eaten but. I’m sure a lot were. I guess there is about zero chance any of these could survive?

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned off my filter pump, leaving just the powerheads running. I came back 15 mins later and every single fry was gone. I can’t imagine they were all eaten but. I’m sure a lot were. I guess there is about zero chance any of these could survive?
There's a really small chance that any will survive, you would need a dedicated system to keep them from getting eaten by fish and corals and even then you would need to come up with something they would eat almost all the time.

rainmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some are proably hiding inside your rock will only come out at night that’s what mine do

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very cool!

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd probably need some sort of kreisel for the larvae. They spend a fair amount of time suspended as plankton - weeks to months, IIRC - and would need to be kept in suspension through that period, with smaller plankton to feed on.

~Bruce

Lenett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to say goodnight to the tank and shined a light in. I noticed 1 of my peppermint shrimp up high on the rocks and it freaked out and shot to the bottom. While doing so hundreds of babies released into the water. I’ve seen emerald crabs release babies but this was a first for my shrimp.

Is there a way to upload a small vid I took with my iPhone?
This happend to me last night. Didnt see the shrimp do anything, but hundreds of tiny specks swimming twords the light at top of tank. I can't find anything like it. Like fresh hatched baby brines. So small I hardly saw them moving. Fish ate like crazy. Had just brought home a new frogspawn Coral and thought it might have has brine eggs in.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back