What kind of damsel is this?

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a starcki damsel, i believe its a female possibly

Check my build thread out. I always love Angels. What kind of fish stock would you recommend? Primary it will be LPS and soft corals. I like to have at least a couple of fancy clowns, a wrasse for pest, and algae graser. I also would love to have “schooling” fish too like chromis but I read that they will kill each other. How about anthias?

OP
OP
Angel_Anthias lover

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check my build thread out. I always love Angels. What kind of fish stock would you recommend? Primary it will be LPS and soft corals. I like to have at least a couple of fancy clowns, a wrasse for pest, and algae graser. I also would love to have “schooling” fish too like chromis but I read that they will kill each other. How about anthias?
Ive read that quite a lot about chromis too, certain damsels if selected carefully make good alternatives, for example the springers and rollands.
In terms of anthias i recommend randalls, dispars, resplendent, ignitus, as they stay smaller, and are generally easier to keep, and are less quarrelsom. There are some other suitable species like red saddles/lori/aurulentus but they are slightly harder to keep and more expensive
For angels theres several pygmy species i recommend from the xiphypops subgenus
Theres a read on some of the members, some arent available to the hobby however like C. resplendens. I like the african pygmy angel from there, and the fishers is somewhat unique. Theres also the argi angel from that subgenus too which is abailable CB from ORA too, aswell as coral beauties, but they may get too big for you tank.
For a wrasse i recommend pink streaked wrasses, possum wrasses, yellow chrysus wrasses and the radiant wrasse (slightly more difficult from what ive read, but very pretty), when the tank is.more mature you can always try some leopard wrasses.
For algae grazing theres the algae blenny and angels will graze to some degree.
A group of fang blennies could work as a shoaling type fish.
Geometric pygmy perchlets are unusual and cute, i have one in a nano tank
Bandtail waspfish are a fish which interest me recently, a small predatory fish, only gets to 2.5 inches so only small goby type fish are at risk, if youre interested in them.

Hope that helps, theres lots more fish too out there that a may have forgotten, so i always advise to do more searching, cause i dont want to leave you with a limited view on whats out there.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Angel_Anthias lover I really love your thread with all the beautiful pictures. All your fish are amazing !!! Are captive-bred fish very available in the UK? I'm going with all CB to make a statement and they are much more hardy and acclimated to domestic life than their wild caught counter parts. My Reefer is on size smaller than yours so I can at best only get about 2/3 of the bio-load of fishes as you have sucessfully.

OP
OP
Angel_Anthias lover

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Angel_Anthias lover I really love your thread with all the beautiful pictures. All your fish are amazing !!! Are captive-bred fish very available in the UK? I'm going with all CB to make a statement and they are much more hardy and acclimated to domestic life than their wild caught counter parts. My Reefer is on size smaller than yours so I can at best only get about 2/3 of the bio-load of fishes as you have sucessfully.
Thank you lol
In the UK CB fish arent as availables as they are in the US but some do trickle in, there was quite a few CB venusta angels in mainland UK earlier this year i believe. Mainly just the basic selection in terms of CB like dottybacks, cardinals, fang blennies etc etc
I really like the statement you are trying to make, and now is the time to support those markets when Captive breeding is becoming better, even if it may be expensive, i definitely will buy CB when given the option to

Kryssie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I would do a stock list as I'm not sure I've included everything
So Fish include:

Wrasses:
Male McCoskers Flasher wrasse
Female blue star leopard wrasse
Female lined tamarin wrasse
Pink streak wrasse

Anthias:
2 Red saddle anthias (pseudanthias flavvoguttatus
3 Indian ocean lyretails anthias

Other:
Potters Angelfish
Spotted Mandarin
Percula Clownfish

Inverts:
Skunk cleaner shrimp
Tuxedo urchin
Various trochus snails
Halloween hermit crabs
Scarlet hermit crabs

Corals:
Purple mushroom colony
Rusty gorgonian
Unknown Zoanthid colony
2 Unkown acropora colonies/fraud
Milja stylo
Orange fungia
2 hammer head colonies
Torch colony
Unknown chalice
Orange montipora capricornis
Gsp
Trumpet coral
Ricordea mushroom coral

In the future I would like to add:
Black cap grammar and a radiant wrasse
Possible a pin tail fairy wrasse and blue sapphire damsels
Or maybe it's fully stocked already
Ok you have my dream wrasses in here!

OP
OP
Angel_Anthias lover

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been there since 2017 when i set up the tank and it was already preowned as it came with the tank, so it could be at least 4 years old i believe

OP
OP
Angel_Anthias lover

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting a new cool fish soon which should arrive at the lfs tomorrow. A species of butterflyfish. If anyone would like to guess what species, feel free to guess as im bored lol.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 49.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 44 51.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.6%
Back