OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not saying leds are bad because the results are out there but it seems that coralline does not like certain led lights just weird as it grows corals fine
Ya know.. this makes sense.
I had fantastic coralline growth in my invert/coral QT when I had it set up under my Photon V2. I've never seen anything nearly that good in my DT under my SB Reef lights. Just ordered another V2 so I can use them on my DT.

Unfortunately, I've had yet another coral setback. Every time I think I turn the corner something new happens. Yesterday I noticed that RTN is setting in on a few corals. Tested my NO3 and it is back over 40ppm. Looks like scraping all the algae out of my sump caused a nutrient spike. Grrrr.

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting Brew, I've never seen such a dramatic nitrate spike like that either. Are you still only running your skimmer sometimes?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting Brew, I've never seen such a dramatic nitrate spike like that either. Are you still only running your skimmer sometimes?
I've run it non stop since yesterday morning. Interestingly, I am getting much darker skimmate more like I used to see months ago. I don't plan on taking it off line again until I get this resolved.

I was convinced what I was seeing was testing error but it tracks with the API and Redsea Pro high range kits.
Absolutely crazy. I should take a picture of my API results from yesterday. I did one in the morning and one that evening. The evening one is noticeably darker.

Gearing up for a 30g water change when I get home.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya! I don't understand the inconsistency in nitrates. Especially at those levels.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is making me rip my hair out. Nitrates are back down to 10ppm tonight before my water change from around 40ppm last night. Did a 25g change anyway. RTN on my birdsnest seem to have stopped but lost 2 acro's. I just can't make heads or tails of this. With 140g+ total water volume I wouldn't expect these swings.

And its not like my DT is dirty. It is very clean compared to many photos of systems I have seen. I just don't know....

On a different note, I have decided on flow for my next tank. I was really tempted to do a closed loop system but I chickened out. Instead, I ordered a Gyre XF250 as I start gathering equipment over the next few months.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bizarre! I don't understand why it goes up and down so quick.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bizarre! I don't understand why it goes up and down so quick.
Me either. And I've verified it with 2 different test kits. If it is testing error, it is a contaminant in my system. But these spikes almost always correspond to an RTN event.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it right after you feed? Not giving it a chance to get broken down?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it right after you feed? Not giving it a chance to get broken down?
I normally feed my fish LRS when I get home after work and then sample around 2 hours later. After sampling is when I will add any phyto or other coral foods.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did u feed yesterday and not today?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And its not like my DT is dirty. It is very clean compared to many photos of systems I have seen.

This is not the right thinking for a new/developing system (yours qualifies on at least the second count).....more dirty will probably be more stable, especially in the short term. Or it should be if you had a "normal" compliment of microbial life.

Did your system ever go through an ugly phase? You did treat with v-brant right? Anything else? Dry rock + harsh treatments have been involved with irretrievable tanks before.

Tell me more about the live rock in the ammonia tub? Is it dry rock they're culturing, or is it real live rock?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did u feed yesterday and not today?
Nothing different. The day before I removed a large amount of algae from the sump and fed phyto. The two days you are asking about was just dried red algae, PE mysis and LRS fish frenzy.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not the right thinking for a new/developing system (yours qualifies on at least the second count).....more dirty will probably be more stable, especially in the short term. Or it should be if you had a "normal" compliment of microbial life.

Did your system ever go through an ugly phase? You did treat with v-brant right? Anything else? Dry rock + harsh treatments have been involved with irretrievable tanks before.

Tell me more about the live rock in the ammonia tub? Is it dry rock they're culturing, or is it real live rock?
I never had too bad of an ugly phase. I was using the Vibrant because of bryopsis when I thought it was a turf algae. Ended up treating it with Fluco to clear it up. Other than that, I've played with 2-part and kalk (both for no good reason) and vodka dosing.

I've learned some lessons the hard way, the biggest is that my tank doesn't like when I add stuff. I cannot add GFO or carbon without my tank having a fit. It doesn't like my changing the lighting schedule.

I do have agood amphipod and decent copepod population, but not as good as it was 6 months ago. Could be the fish I've added since then. I also have a healthy amount of bristle worms. I even added a few fuzzy chitons several months ago that are doing great. My shrimp and nem's are doing great. If it wasn't for the coral issues I wouldn't think my system had a problem. My nutrients spike low and my softies start starving then they spike high and my SPS go RTN.

The store is culturing dry rock.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to eliminate Coral food.(Slowly)
Typically it causes more problems than what it's worth. If you don't have non photosynthetic corals then don't supplement. Remember corals get 90% of their food source through photosynthesis. The rest they get enough through the fish foods your adding. Believe me it's plenty.
If you want a picture of my nitrate test I will show you. It comes out a clear as R/O water. Yes , I have some soft corals as well and growing like a weed.
I would start buy eliminating the phyto.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • dry rock
  • minimal ugly phase
  • v-brant
  • fluconazole
  • carbon dosing
  • GFO
  • activated carbon
That list does not add up to a healthy, robust microbial loop in your tank.

You definitely need an inoculation of healthy microbes, IMO. More than one might be a decent idea.

Lacking a local alternative, some GARF grunge maybe? Not sure they still sell that....but that's exactly the kind of thing you're wanting.

Unless you're making major lighting changes, this is probably related to the overall issue.....I've never had an issue with (e.g.) bulb changes or minor LED tweaks, like adjusting the schedule or making minor intensity adjustments. I did toast my whole tank when I dropped intensity by >75%....that's just a good reason to use a light meter though....never would have done that had I known what I was doing.

Were you doing minor or major changes when the tank responded poorly?

Also, can you PM me some tank pics?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to eliminate Coral food.(Slowly)
Typically it causes more problems than what it's worth. If you don't have non photosynthetic corals then don't supplement. Remember corals get 90% of their food source through photosynthesis. The rest they get enough through the fish foods your adding. Believe me it's plenty.
If you want a picture of my nitrate test I will show you. It comes out a clear as R/O water. Yes , I have some soft corals as well and growing like a weed.
I would start buy eliminating the phyto.
I actually added it because my zoa's were struggling. They are doing much better since I started adding it. I'll have to give that one some thought.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • dry rock
  • minimal ugly phase
  • v-brant
  • fluconazole
  • carbon dosing
  • GFO
  • activated carbon
That list does not add up to a healthy, robust microbial loop in your tank.

You definitely need an inoculation of healthy microbes, IMO. More than one might be a decent idea.

Lacking a local alternative, some GARF grunge maybe? Not sure they still sell that....but that's exactly the kind of thing you're wanting.

Unless you're making major lighting changes, this is probably related to the overall issue.....I've never had an issue with (e.g.) bulb changes or minor LED tweaks, like adjusting the schedule or making minor intensity adjustments. I did toast my whole tank when I dropped intensity by >75%....that's just a good reason to use a light meter though....never would have done that had I known what I was doing.

Were you doing minor or major changes when the tank responded poorly?

Also, can you PM me some tank pics?
I know I screwed things up early and have been trying to recover since. I was trying to do things because I thought I should instead of because my tank needed it. Huge mistake.

I've seen disappointing stuff about the grunge ever since they have started selling again. I have been hoping to compensate by buying macro algae from different vendors. I might order a small package from Tampa Live Rock when I reset my system this winter. Just hard to suck up what would be $300 just in shipping.

I really need to take and post some new pictures. I think you will be shocked at just how new my tank looks even though it has been set up for almost a year now. The new light should come in tomorrow if I can be home to sign for it. I'll try to get some pictures in before I take out the canopy and replace the lights. My MP40's haven't been cleaned other than rubbing algae off and still only have a few coralline algae spots.

When I change my lighting by more than 5% things just don't go well. I have to do very small changes.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I screwed things up early and have been trying to recover since. I was trying to do things because I thought I should instead of because my tank needed it. Huge mistake.

I've seen disappointing stuff about the grunge ever since they have started selling again. I have been hoping to compensate by buying macro algae from different vendors. I might order a small package from Tampa Live Rock when I reset my system this winter. Just hard to suck up what would be $300 just in shipping.

I really need to take and post some new pictures. I think you will be shocked at just how new my tank looks even though it has been set up for almost a year now. The new light should come in tomorrow if I can be home to sign for it. I'll try to get some pictures in before I take out the canopy and replace the lights. My MP40's haven't been cleaned other than rubbing algae off and still only have a few coralline algae spots.

When I change my lighting by more than 5% things just don't go well. I have to do very small changes.
So ur plastic isn't even covered in coralline?

That's so weird but when u think about it u have a steril tank right? U qt everything did u start with dry rock? And regular sand? Maby the coralline has to be introduced to take off I mean I'm at 8 ish months and coralline is really taking off esp on everything plastic

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ur plastic isn't even covered in coralline?

That's so weird but when u think about it u have a steril tank right? U qt everything did u start with dry rock? And regular sand? Maby the coralline has to be introduced to take off I mean I'm at 8 ish months and coralline is really taking off esp on everything plastic
I did start with a sterile tank, but I did use live sand (aquacultured). I do have some coralline in my tank, just very little so it is in there. I had more coralline in my invert/coral QT after 1 month than I do in my DT after 10 months. That is why I am going to try and switch lights. I had a Photon V2 (reef breeder) over my Qt. Hoping it is the answer. It is the only significant difference I can think off since I normally use old tank water to set up my QT when I need it.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen disappointing stuff about the grunge ever since they have started selling again.

Unless they're shoveling gravel out of their driveway instead of sand out of a rock tank it ought to be a boost to what you have. ;) For the cost I think I'd try it. (I've never been able to figure out how to order from them though! :D Hopefully that's more straightforward now than it has been.)

tbsaltwater has live sand for $2/lb, but they are gonna kill you with that 100lbs minimum order....way too much volume for what you need.

$200 worth of sand and another $90 in shipping.....$300?! Good deal for 100lbs of sand, but WAY overkill for your purpose.

Premium Aquatics sells "aquacultured live sand" for $2/lb plus $35 per box: Live Sand

Might be about the same as your local "live rock" since it's just aquacultured bagged sand that spent "a few months" in a tub with (presumably) real live rock. Depends how much you trust Premium vs your local place. (At least you can form a first-hand opinion about your local place.....although Premium does have a pretty longstanding rep.)

$40 ($35 + $4 for two pounds) still seems like a lot for <$10 worth of sand, but if you really have no local places you trust it's a lot better than the tbsalt deal.

If you look around you might find some other places selling...

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 47 21.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 72.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.5%
Back