My Review of Orphek Atlantik V4 after 15 Months

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My V4 works perfectly. Also the customer service from Tommy at orphek is great. Whoever reports poor customer service must be off.

rusgum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like anything else, the small percentage of buyers that have had issues speak loudest while the thousands of us that have had them for years with no issues, are quietly happy. Not minimizing their issues, just stating reality. I have been in the hobby for decades and would have fewer gray hairs if all of the vendors in the industry were as responsive as Orphek is.
Well said.

gilman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like anything else, the small percentage of buyers that have had issues speak loudest while the thousands of us that have had them for years with no issues, are quietly happy. Not minimizing their issues, just stating reality. I have been in the hobby for decades and would have fewer gray hairs if all of the vendors in the industry were as responsive as Orphek is.

I have to agree here . There will always be more people expressing their problems than people praising their lights . I own 8 Orphek fixtures and only had an issue with a OR2 burning out and they replaced it immediately.

I have been running Orphek Atlantik and the OR bars since the beginning of 2018 .

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
5 atlantiks and 4 bars and no complaints !!

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man i was really really thinking about selling my ati powermodule as I don't want to worry about changing bulbs and burning in bulbs etc. and getting an atlantik but this thread is a real bummer. I definitely appreciate everyone's reviews and opinions....just a real bummer
If your not having issues, why let it bum you out? It seams there are plenty of people not having issues. If you dicide you want to sell yours, let me know. My only issue with them is they are more than my hobby budget allows.

blackgate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm bummed because I really want to switch to all leds and no more t5s. Threads like this remind me why its best just to be thankful for what you have that works. Im not saying no to the atlantik, but its issuea are certainly something to be aware of.

DxMarinefish

GazuntaiReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just finished reading this thread.
Lots of opinions.

I have two V4's that I bought in June 2019. Just yesterday one of them flickered and the light seemed odd. I checked and the middle 2 rows has some LEDs out.(*see pics. it's the v4 on the left. Both v4's are in "Maintenance" mode for comparison)
IMG_7807.jpeg

I emailed Tony (I am in the UK) this morning Friday 27th Nov 2020 and he responded by 15:20 same day. He has asked me to send him my proof of purchase and serial number.
He also sent me this and asked me to identify the LEDs that are not working.

image002.jpg

I will send him the details this weekend.

Fo my experience, so far the v4's have been faultless. My tank is 3 foot high and so i need strong lights to reach the bottom.

I will keep you guys posted on my adventure.

Dx

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they are faultless until they break. Their support team are good about rectifying the issues. If you are a hands on person then it makes it allot easier to fix things, but with some mounting options this can be a real pain. I know in my case its a major PIA to take the lights down and service them. Not something I look forward too. Hopefully they take care of you pretty quick and get you going again. Good luck.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard Greg Carroll mention that Orphek's are basically a "black box in a pretty case." The guy is President of one of the largest reef clubs in America... so I would assume he might know something. He said they were for sale on Alibaba and that they were being shipped directly from China at one time. He also took one apart before.

He challenged anybody to get on YouTube and see if you can find somebody who was still running them and continuing to make videos after about 4 months.

Has anybody opened one up to look at it? If you do please take some pics. I'd love to see inside. I always thought they were pretty lights and they seemed to grow corals. Although I'm more of a T5 guy myself.

Check out this video:

Go to 45:16 if it doesn't automatically bring you there.

Last edited:

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After looking at the PAR distribution map and the numbers... I must say I'm more impressed with this light then most other LED's if the data is accurate. It's not very peaky and has great distribution.

If they had good customer service and will last more than 5 years...I don't see why you wouldn't be happy with one.

rusgum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using this light for the third year now. I changed the diode board this year. I like the visual picture. Corals love spectrum too. I don't see any other options for myself yet. What's inside the lamp doesn't bother me much. More important to me is what the corals say

rusgum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just finished reading this thread.
Lots of opinions.

I have two V4's that I bought in June 2019. Just yesterday one of them flickered and the light seemed odd. I checked and the middle 2 rows has some LEDs out.(*see pics. it's the v4 on the left. Both v4's are in "Maintenance" mode for comparison)
IMG_7807.jpeg

I emailed Tony (I am in the UK) this morning Friday 27th Nov 2020 and he responded by 15:20 same day. He has asked me to send him my proof of purchase and serial number.
He also sent me this and asked me to identify the LEDs that are not working.

image002.jpg

I will send him the details this weekend.

Fo my experience, so far the v4's have been faultless. My tank is 3 foot high and so i need strong lights to reach the bottom.

I will keep you guys posted on my adventure.

Dx
If the warranty is still valid, then you will be sent a new, modified board with diodes. They changed me back in January. Recently I changed to glass lenses and checked at the same time. New boards are ok. There is not even a hint of burnout.

DxMarinefish

GazuntaiReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the warranty is still valid, then you will be sent a new, modified board with diodes. They changed me back in January. Recently I changed to glass lenses and checked at the same time. New boards are ok. There is not even a hint of burnout.
Sounds good. I have sent the required info to them, so hopefully they get back to me ASAP.

I also noticed that the right panel also has dead LEDS.

DxMarinefish

GazuntaiReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they are faultless until they break. Their support team are good about rectifying the issues. If you are a hands on person then it makes it allot easier to fix things, but with some mounting options this can be a real pain. I know in my case its a major PIA to take the lights down and service them. Not something I look forward too. Hopefully they take care of you pretty quick and get you going again. Good luck.
I think mine will be a PIA because they are attached to my Hood.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 123 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back