My Review of Orphek Atlantik V4 after 15 Months

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread - so my apologies for resurrecting it.
Orphek Atlantik’s are in my short list for a possible lighting solution.

Has anyone noticed an improvement in the build quality since these discussions took place? Is it still a significant risk to buy them?

I noticed some comments about replacing the control board and noticing improved stability and less issues. Is that still the case?

thanks

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread - so my apologies for resurrecting it.
Orphek Atlantik’s are in my short list for a possible lighting solution.

Has anyone noticed an improvement in the build quality since these discussions took place? Is it still a significant risk to buy them?

I noticed some comments about replacing the control board and noticing improved stability and less issues. Is that still the case?

thanks
I sold my older V4 2s and bought the improved version. A friend did the same and opened up one of the new ones. He reported not only had they improved the board, LEDs and connections to them but the internals had also been upgraded. We have had ours running for about 4 months now with no issues.

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sold my older V4 2s and bought the improved version. A friend did the same and opened up one of the new ones. He reported not only had they improved the board, LEDs and connections to them but the internals had also been upgraded. We have had ours running for about 4 months now with no issues.

Great - thanks for the response!

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have the older version and two of five had LEDs go out. I did the LED panel conversion on them, which worked nicely. The new parts do seem better and the lights are really easy to work on. Every component appears to be replaceable and upgradeable - if that helps. I'm still happy.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ian am an Orphek only user and very pleased with color and growth from these lights

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here has been my experience. I got the atlantik in late 2018, and have been very impressed running the non-white channels 100%. Couple weeks ago I notice my violets not working, channel 3. I emailed orphek and asked if I could buy replacements since I was out of warrantee as I bought them in late 2018. They said no charge and would send me a new board, I just paid shipping. I got the new board today, was pretty easy to install. Here are some pictures, they upgraded the connecting wires no doubt as you can see with the old vs new 460s. Since my violets appeared to literally burn, I have some faith that this fix will help with cooling. They also send the new 5w chips that run cooler. Those items combined give me confidence in the fix. Here is also a picture of the old 380 nm UV, no damage at all being run 100% 6 plus hours a day for over a year. The lens also didn’t have damage.

Overall I am very impressed they didn’t charge for out of warrantee fix and the replacements at least visually have changed for the better. Time will tell if they hold up, but no doubt they are improved of the previous fixtures.

Old 460
FECEE99F-D06A-4B48-B64A-72CBC3F338AF.jpeg

New 460
320A475D-1846-4172-B0FF-AA1969E34D02.jpeg

UV
FA1F6E94-84DF-4623-B356-6A75F670A85A.jpeg
Just bumping my post here since you would see the improvements with the new board and it’s possible even more have happened since then. It’s still working just fine and coming up on 3 years using it happily.

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my orphek, there is a new model coming out or it might be out now. No more gateway needed and you will have 6 channels instead of 4. Easier programming with new app. And you can upgrade your older lights to the new system.

the ability to repair or upgrade as time goes on is a big reason I went with orphek. And they look great too.

jake37

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has anyone used the freshwater version? I'm considering these as an option for two aquariums - one 10ft x 3ft and the other 8ft x 4ft. I'm concern about the reliability but this seems like a less expensive option than ghl or hd prime (also hd prime support seems weak - or at least their ability to describe their product correctly).
-
The aquariums are not super deep - only 22 inches and these lights are a bit ugly compared to ghl but if they cost 1/4 that seems a plus.
-
I also realize that this is a salt water forum so most of you probably haven't done much with freshwater version but maybe a few (there was one review on page 18 where the guy needed a replacement board for the freshwater version so at least 1 person is freshwater oriented ;)
-

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has anyone used the freshwater version? I'm considering these as an option for two aquariums - one 10ft x 3ft and the other 8ft x 4ft. I'm concern about the reliability but this seems like a less expensive option than ghl or hd prime (also hd prime support seems weak - or at least their ability to describe their product correctly).
-
The aquariums are not super deep - only 22 inches and these lights are a bit ugly compared to ghl but if they cost 1/4 that seems a plus.
-
I also realize that this is a salt water forum so most of you probably haven't done much with freshwater version but maybe a few (there was one review on page 18 where the guy needed a replacement board for the freshwater version so at least 1 person is freshwater oriented ;)
-
I have had 0 issues with mine (saltwater), and would not hesitate to buy multiple new ones.

that said I don’t run mine much over 50% power, I feel any light on the market run at 80-90% or greater constantly is going to have issues sooner than one that isn’t run that hard. I also have small usb cooling fans on the power supply’s, i figure it can’t hurt to keep them cool too

grayfis1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking into purchasing the new Orphek iCon LED for the upgrade. I have read thru the whole thread and looks like like they have address the issues on their light fixture. Can anyone here share their experience with the iCon model?

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put orphek icon in search thread and read through the reviews. Much information

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had 2 icons now for 6 around months. All.gpod so far, can't fault them so far.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I just wanted to report that I, OP of this thread, have had zero issues with my lights since November 2020 when Orphek upgraded to the new boards.
7 years of orpheks ( keep ugrading LOL) and trouble free

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also had Orpheks since 2018 and they have been upgraded. The original batch did burn out a few LEDs, about 4 or 5. I've been using the iCONs for 6 months now and no issues.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I also had Orpheks since 2018 and they have been upgraded. The original batch did burn out a few LEDs, about 4 or 5. I've been using the iCONs for 6 months now and no issues.
Never had a diode burn out but ICON is their best yet

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had numerous issues with mine a few years ago, but got the v4 boards installed and they have been working fine and growing great coral so far. Will likely upgrade to icon at some point, but I upgraded to the v4 weeks before the icon upgrade. So I didn’t want to shell out more money. But have been very happy thus far with the lights!

corey

OP
OP
sawdonkey

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to report that I, OP of this thread, have had zero issues with my lights since November 2020 when Orphek upgraded to the new boards.
I’ll quote myself here. I now have burned leds in both of my fixtures….again. This is something like five boards in two fixtures that have gone bad. I have sold them for $150 each and the buyer can do the ICON upgrade. I’m done with Orphek altogether and have bought three Coralcare’s.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 95 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back