My Review of Orphek Atlantik V4 after 15 Months

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the lights are great, but too much of the above. I keep hearing this over and over. They need to get their customer service straight. I wouldn’t care if these lights were growing Acro’s out of the water in only 3 months! If they cannot repair broken fixtures promptly it’s a deal breaker. If they expect customers to break out a soldering gun and do it themselves...I’m sorry but that’s just crazy. Nobody wants or has the time to go fix their broken fixtures themselves and for the amount of money paid...they shouldn’t be expected to. That’s like buying a new car and both axels fall off and you bring it back to the dealer and they say...”go buy a welding machine and we’ll walk you through the repair process.”

on a larger scale the analogy is actually perfect. I think it is telling how tiny some of these companies actually are that they can’t quickly and efficiently manage replacements. When you’re so far behind that you have to convince users to attempt electrical work themselves rather than just promptly sending out a complete replacement, it’s just unsettling. I realize they’re not Apple, but if my phone malfunctions for any reason inside of warranty, I get overnighted a brand new one no questions asked. I kind of hope for the same level of service when spending the same amount for a light.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
For the price they charge and for the technology they boast, . . . THEY BEST REALIZE WE ARE CUSTOMERS AND NOT ELECTRICIANS and Do Not work for them, therefore will not sit down at a table and perform repairs for them. . . . .,
Fortunately I've had no issues but will be very intolerant of their follow up should a situation arise

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned a long time ago not to play with small companies who can’t or won’t take care of you. Companies like this get left behind. There’s too many competitors out there. This hobby progresses rapidly. You can’t fall asleep in this business!

So it seemed like nobody really knew where Orphek was located. I heard Brazil and then Europe?? I guess they’re not US based. Can somebody confirm and also let us know when the company was founded?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I learned a long time ago not to play with small companies who can’t or won’t take care of you. Companies like this get left behind. There’s too many competitors out there. This hobby progresses rapidly. You can’t fall asleep in this business!

So it seemed like nobody really knew where Orphek was located. I heard Brazil and then Europe?? I guess they’re not US based. Can somebody confirm and also let us know when the company was founded?
I believe Austria and now based in Germany

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is anyone really surprised?

2B8827AF-ADBE-41CA-BA31-E012C37F0F2B.jpeg
2B8827AF-ADBE-41CA-BA31-E012C37F0F2B.jpeg

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe Austria and now based in Germany

So receiving replacement parts is probably a long process. Getting a fixture quickly repaired and returned is probably out of the question. That is a hard pill to swallow when you’re thinking about dropping $2,000+ knowing that you’ll likely be SOL if something doesn’t work or breaks. Hopefully you got some good backup lights laying around the house and even if you did...the Acro’s would have to adapt/acclimate twice before you’re up and growing again. Probably set you back at least 2-3 months.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They shipped me replacement leds that I had in a matter of a few days.
I am not saying having me fix them is ideal as I don’t even own a soldering gun so now I am waiting for a friend to come and help me. This Does definitely suck. I’m only saying that thus far the response time from them has been timed very well. It’s not ideal no, but I’m not waiting days upon days to hear back from them.

corey

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They shipped me replacement leds that I had in a matter of a few days.
I am not saying having me fix them is ideal as I don’t even own a soldering gun so now I am waiting for a friend to come and help me. This Does definitely suck. I’m only saying that thus far the response time from them has been timed very well. It’s not ideal no, but I’m not waiting days upon days to hear back from them.

corey

Well, at least their responding and it didn’t take long, but man...

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am with you guys in that I don’t have time or the patience to open up a light and fix it off the bat when something breaks. I wonder what they will do for people who say they can’t fix their own light?
I got the or2 bars because they are simple with no controllers or anything like that. I have had bad luck with any tech that’s not simple and figured they would be safer than buying two fixtures to go with my halides. I am getting the last replacement for the flickering or2 anyway now, I hope they work well for years to come but if a controller comes out for them I am going to stay away since it’s not really needed.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is an option to send it for repairs in the US. I will say this....I opened mine up today to fix and it was NOT AS EASY as I anticipated. The leds are soldered onto the PCB board and the soldering iron couldn’t get hot enough to get off. my buddy owns a store that repairs electronics so he has all the correct tools. He thinks maybe they use the European solder which takes much more heat to loosen up and his soldering gun doesn’t get that hot. We had to use a heat gun and it actually still was a pain. He ended up mixing the manufacturing solder with a much lower heat solder and a “braid” to scrub the excess off. Hours to get figure this out and we removed 1 led. And because the PCB board is attached to the heat sink and not easily removed (stripped screws) we cannot get a good connection to solder the new led on. 7 more for a total of 8 on this one light. It appears this might be a long job....I’m not happy about it. I emailed them and am awaiting for any helpful hints they might have for my adventure tomorrow........:mad:

corey

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am with you guys in that I don’t have time or the patience to open up a light and fix it off the bat when something breaks. I wonder what they will do for people who say they can’t fix their own light?
I got the or2 bars because they are simple with no controllers or anything like that. I have had bad luck with any tech that’s not simple and figured they would be safer than buying two fixtures to go with my halides. I am getting the last replacement for the flickering or2 anyway now, I hope they work well for years to come but if a controller comes out for them I am going to stay away since it’s not really needed.

Have your Halides increased your electric bill be much? Is it fairly minimal or a lot?

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is an option to send it for repairs in the US. I will say this....I opened mine up today to fix and it was NOT AS EASY as I anticipated. The leds are soldered onto the PCB board and the soldering iron couldn’t get hot enough to get off. my buddy owns a store that repairs electronics so he has all the correct tools. He thinks maybe they use the European solder which takes much more heat to loosen up and his soldering gun doesn’t get that hot. We had to use a heat gun and it actually still was a pain. He ended up mixing the manufacturing solder with a much lower heat solder and a “braid” to scrub the excess off. Hours to get figure this out and we removed 1 led. And because the PCB board is attached to the heat sink and not easily removed (stripped screws) we cannot get a good connection to solder the new led on. 7 more for a total of 8 on this one light. It appears this might be a long job....I’m not happy about it. I emailed them and am awaiting for any helpful hints they might have for my adventure tomorrow........:mad:

corey

Ohh dang. Thanks for sharing that. Sounds like a tough job for sure. No way I could do it. I really hope they get a better system going for you guys in the future. Hang in there man and good luck!

OP
OP
sawdonkey

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

corey
Popping off the LEDs is pretty easy. They are actually glued to the board under the LEDs, so a tap with a screwdriver and a hammer loosens them up so you can melt the solder and breaks them free. Believe me....I know. Yesterday I replaced three LEDs to limp mine along while I wait for the replacement board.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bad post..Linkdin link jammed it..

Last edited:

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gets complicated. Check LinkedIn
Company size 11-50 employees 3 on LinkedIn Type Privately Held Founded 2008 Specialties Interior LED Lighting, Greenhouse & Grow LED Lights, Aquarium LED Lighting, Commercial LED Lighting, Fresh water Aquarium LED Lighting, Internet of Thing Led Lighting, and Public Aquariums LED Lighting

CEO's in Brazil
  • Ofir ****rit
  • Ofir has a account
CEO and Founder at Orphek LED Lighting Systems

• São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
Funny his name is censored ..like sheetrit but not..

Last edited:

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gets complicated. Check LinkedIn
Company size 11-50 employees 3 on LinkedIn Type Privately Held Founded 2008 Specialties Interior LED Lighting, Greenhouse & Grow LED Lights, Aquarium LED Lighting, Commercial LED Lighting, Fresh water Aquarium LED Lighting, Internet of Thing Led Lighting, and Public Aquariums LED Lighting

CEO's in Brazil
  • Ofir ****rit
  • Ofir has a account
CEO and Founder at Orphek LED Lighting Systems

• São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
Funny his name is censored ..like sheetrit but not..

Strong work bro. Yeah, for a company that's been around 11 years it's hard to believe that they want their customers to fix their mistakes. I'm not sure how that's been working for them this long. Another thing that really worries me personally is how so many people are posting about defective fixtures. Something really strange is going on with this company. I hope you guys that are already involved will get these issues fixed or sorted out. Again...best of luck to all you guys having to deal with this nonsense.

Last edited:

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I don't understand how a company that's been around for 9 years at least (heard that above)

Strong work bro. Yeah, for a company that's been around 11 years it's hard to believe that they want their customers to fix their mistakes. I'm not sure how that's been working for them this long. Another thing that really worries me personally is how so many people are posting about defective fixtures. Something really strange is going on with this company. I hope you guys that are already involved will get these issues fixed or sorted out. Again...best of luck to all you guys having to deal with this nonsense.

Retail doesn't seem to be their primary concern.. It's the commercial part.
Biggest problem of course is the retail manuf. is def. "outsourced" to China..but few aren't really.

I am curious about their commercial aspect.. like sales ect..
Global company w/ teeny brick and mortar presence..and no repair facilities except in China, which I doubt repair anything.. just replace.

Tons do this but like sbreef at least have a US "face" for some things..

More fun..

Last edited:

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost got those lights. nice to hear a review on them. thank you for the time to share the story. what I did get was red sea reef led 90. they are pretty awesome.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sawdonkey Mine seem so much harder than that. It took about 15-20 minutes to get the solder off the one led to break it free. Any tricks for that? Did you remove the board from the heat sink to

corey

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back