My scissortail fish randomly died

  • Thread starter Thread starter lel
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

lel

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 17, 2023
Messages
33
Reaction score
11
Location
Mars
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had 2 scissortails for about 3 years now and today one of them suddenly died. All my other fish are fine and parameters are all 0, so did it just die of age? Because from what I've read they have a lifespan of 5 years. Let me know what you think. Here's some pictures of the fish.

dead fish.jpg dead fish 2.jpg
 
It would be somewhat surprising for a fish to just drop dead with no symptoms if it was 'old age' - however, you don't give any other obvious reason with regards to a parasite or aquarium issue. To me the fish looks thin (which suggests a more chronic illness of some type) though hard to see post mortem out of water.
 
I've had 2 scissortails for about 3 years now and today one of them suddenly died. All my other fish are fine and parameters are all 0, so did it just die of age? Because from what I've read they have a lifespan of 5 years. Let me know what you think. Here's some pictures of the fish.

dead fish.jpg dead fish 2.jpg
I find even if they’re eating well but still thinning then it tends to be old age and those guys often live 3-5 years depending on size you get them at.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new