my scooter blenny died

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok my red scooter blenny died i dont know why she’s been eating mysis since i got her on august 7th.
she was hiding behind some of my mushrooms not moving and her eyes were really cloudy not even going up to my syringe which she normally goes up to when it’s time to eat.
so my question is is it ok that i fed her to my anemone the anemone is about three inches and the scooter blenny was at an inch was that a good idea to feed it to the anemone or no because i feel really bad rn because i loved that fish and yes there was enough pods in the tank for it but i dont know what went wrong.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would not recommend feeding it to the anemone. Fish is too big and could’ve died from illness. Dispose of the fish

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would not recommend feeding it to the anemone. Fish is too big and could’ve died from illness. Dispose of the fish
i can’t anymore it already ate it plus the long part of the fish was only the tail it was a really small fish

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man.

You also just posted you had a huge bacteria bloom because you thought you over fed.

Again, I've said a few times to you, you're doing a lot of things to your tank, and it becomes really hard for us to pin tail what you're doing wrong.

There's a bunch of things you do to solve the problem for 1 thing i.e. you were dosing Hydrogen Peroxide not long ago for Algae,

You're doing a lot of little things all over the place, and from what I know this is your first reef tank.

It's really hard to help you man. I've PM'd 4 Pages with you. You gotta give us a complete schedule of EVERYTHING you are doing to your tank so we can try to help. WE have no idea what's really going on.

If you keep tinkering like this though I fear the worst.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man.

You also just posted you had a huge bacteria bloom because you thought you over fed.

Again, I've said a few times to you, you're doing a lot of things to your tank, and it becomes really hard for us to pin tail what you're doing wrong.

There's a bunch of things you do to solve the problem for 1 thing i.e. you were dosing Hydrogen Peroxide not long ago for Algae,

You're doing a lot of little things all over the place, and from what I know this is your first reef tank.

It's really hard to help you man. I've PM'd 4 Pages with you. You gotta give us a complete schedule of EVERYTHING you are doing to your tank so we can try to help. WE have no idea what's really going on.

If you keep tinkering like this though I fear the worst.
+1!!!!! Change things SLOWLY so you can see the effects on your tank!

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man.

You're doing a lot of little things, it's really hard to help you man. I've PM'd 4 Pages with you. You gotta give us a complete schedule of EVERYTHING you are doing to your tank so we can try to help. WE have no idea what's really going on.
ok i feed every morning but now i don’t have to feed the fish that just died and i top of the water and i top it off to this yellow sticky note wich only connects with the sticky side and the i use a kalkwasser mix to cover it so it no longer shows the sticky note i do that every morning
on monday i dose 1ml of coral-vite and phytoplankton
on tuesdays and thursdays i feed my coral reef roids the only other corals i feed are my duncan’s and my chalice corals along with frogspawn i would feed them mysis when i fed my red scooter blenny that just died
on saturday i dose one ml of vibrant and feed my nem wich i didn’t this weekend and i feed it mysis
on sundays i do my water change that’s 10%
and then i start the cycle over

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok i feed every morning but now i don’t have to feed the fish that just died and i top of the water and i top it off to this yellow sticky note wich only connects with the sticky side and the i use a kalkwasser mix to cover it so it no longer shows the sticky note i do that every morning
on monday i dose 1ml of coral-vite and phytoplankton
on tuesdays and thursdays i feed my coral reef roids the only other corals i feed are my duncan’s and my chalice corals along with frogspawn i would feed them mysis when i fed my red scooter blenny that just died
on saturday i dose one ml of vibrant and feed my nem wich i didn’t this weekend and i feed it mysis
on sundays i do my water change that’s 10%
and then i start the cycle over

Outside of your normal schedule, what else in the past 2 weeks have you maybe done or changed, or were doing and stopped?

And you're 1,000% Positive the above is a complete List?

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1!!!!! Change things SLOWLY so you can see the effects on your tank!
yea i’ve been trying to do that the only change i did recently was move some corals around and fed a little bit more which turns out that was a bad thing besides the coral placement the corals like their new spots a lot more than their old ones

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Outside of your normal schedule, what else in the past 2 weeks have you maybe done or changed, or were doing and stopped?

And you're 1,000% Positive the above is a complete List? When are you dosing that Kalkwasser you have a mix for?

What else are you dosing?
that’s my schedule that i use the only thing i’ve changed was i doubled the food for one day and that’s when the bacteria bloom happened but other than that nothings changed and it’s one tsp of kalkwasser that was dissolved into a gallon of water and i only add enough to cover this sticky note that’s on the outside of the tank which ik dosent help a lot with how much goes in because i dont know the actual measurement all i know is when i started dosing that’s how much i put in and everything seems to be doing better well everything but the scooter blenny that just died

Last edited:

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that’s my schedule that i use the only thing i’ve changed was i doubled the food for one day and that’s when the bacteria bloom happened but other than that nothings changed and it’s one tsp of kalkwasser that was dissolved into a gallon of water and i only add enough to cover this sticky note that’s on the outside of the tank which ik dosent help a lot with how much goes in because i dont know the actual measurement all i know is when i started dosing that’s how much i put in and everything seems to be doing better well everything but the scooter blenny that just died

Alright,

well seeing as you got it in August, and it just died, something happened to it in your tank.

It wasn't sick when you got it. (Or at least whatever it was sick with, it was healthy enough to fight)

Unfortunately based on what you're saying it's hard to tell.

It could've been sick, and being in your tank potentially over the last 50 days, something out of the above schedule could have been stressing it, then causing the illness to start to beat it's immune system, and then kill it.

You mention it had cloudy eyes. I'm no fish disease expert but I'd start researching there, and try to identify what killed it.

Potentially it just died in the last few days from a bacteria bloom / parameter spike, but again, hard to tell since we don't know your daily params for the last week.

My best advice, still is, try to let your tank stable out, reduce your feedings a LOT, if you now have no fish, dont feed except for 2-3 times a week, and just a LITTLE BIT.

Also stop being lazy/cheap like me :p lol just kidding and buy these

It's only $7.00 at least you can accurately dose. your fish costs more.

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright,

well seeing as you got it in August, and it just died, something happened to it in your tank.

It wasn't sick when you got it. (Or at least whatever it was sick with, it was healthy enough to fight)

Unfortunately based on what you're saying it's hard to tell.

It could've been sick, and being in your tank potentially over the last 50 days, something out of the above schedule could have been stressing it, then causing the illness to start to beat it's immune system, and then kill it.

You mention it had cloudy eyes. I'm no fish disease expert but I'd start researching there, and try to identify what killed it.

Potentially it just died in the last few days from a bacteria bloom / parameter spike, but again, hard to tell since we don't know your daily params for the last week.

My best advice, still is, try to let your tank stable out, reduce your feedings a LOT, if you now have no fish, dont feed except for 2-3 times a week, and just a LITTLE BIT.

Also stop being lazy/cheap like me :p lol just kidding and buy these

It's only $7.00 at least you can accurately dose. your fish costs more.

yea it might have been a parasite or a infection and i’m gonna be getting a coral feeder so that i can don’t have to put my hand in the tank to feed coral and my clownfish looks really healthy so i dont know what happened besides what you said about the stress thing

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 78 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back