My Seahorse Sanctuary

Hans Solo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I really love those pictures of your tank. Even the green fake plant looks like it fits in! I think the black sand was a good idea.

How are the clowns doing with your seahorse? I've always wanted some clownfish again but have heard negative things about them in seahorse tanks. Are the snowflakes pretty calm? Do you plan on having any coral/anemone they can host?

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the clowns doing with your seahorse? I've always wanted some clownfish again but have heard negative things about them in seahorse tanks. Are the snowflakes pretty calm? Do you plan on having any coral/anemone they can host?

I had a pair of small ocellaris (bought them as juveniles)with my two erectus in my former tank and they got along fine. As long as I fed the ocellaris first, there was no competition for food. They were very peaceful and pretty much stayed in one section of the tank.

Hans Solo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my two seahorses for almost two years and have always wanted a little more action in the tank with some clownfish. I have a royal gramma and he seems fine but they are usually a little more docile. Honestly I doubt clowns could any more acquisitive about food than my two red fire shrimp! My two horses get fed well... but it's not like there aren't other creatures interested in tasty mysis in there! I'm really debating on whether or not to get a pair of juveniles. The black and white clowns are really pretty!

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my two seahorses for almost two years and have always wanted a little more action in the tank with some clownfish. I have a royal gramma and he seems fine but they are usually a little more docile. Honestly I doubt clowns could any more acquisitive about food than my two red fire shrimp! My two horses get fed well... but it's not like there aren't other creatures interested in tasty mysis in there! I'm really debating on whether or not to get a pair of juveniles. The black and white clowns are really pretty!

This is Roux with Bonnie and Clyde.

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is Roux with Bonnie and Clyde.
Opps, sorry!

d453065ea50aa5485c336384a57c7713.jpg

Hans Solo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<75 degrees. Normally 73-74. I've had a spike to close to 90!! when the air conditioning went out about a year ago and I wasn't there for half a day. Everything survived!

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<75 degrees. Normally 73-74. I've had a spike to close to 90!! when the air conditioning went out about a year ago and I wasn't there for half a day. Everything survived!
I just scored a used chiller from my lfs for $100. Gauranteed operational! I worry so much about spikes and power outages since I live in satans livingroom (New Orleans). Lol

Hans Solo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NOLA can get hot as hell! That was the only time I've ever had a problem, and the power outages here are pretty few and far between. I don't think I've had one with this tank. That time it was the AC itself that was broken. But very shortly afterwards I bought some window AC units from Walmart and returned them when it was fixed! :) That and fans did a bit, but it wasn't a great solution.

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NOLA can get hot as hell! That was the only time I've ever had a problem, and the power outages here are pretty few and far between. I don't think I've had one with this tank. That time it was the AC itself that was broken. But very shortly afterwards I bought some window AC units from Walmart and returned them when it was fixed! :) That and fans did a bit, but it wasn't a great solution.
Yes. Yes it is! I am so stoked to get it plumed in. Currently, I have two little Sun Sun fans that run on it and keep it 73/74 with the ambiant temp of my house set at 73. But man, when its 90+ outside it's tough. Plus the evaporation rate with the fans is about a gallon+ PER DAY! My biggest concern is a power outage. Haven't had a significant one in a while but I have a generator I hook up to the house to run the essentials during the day and only run AC at night. It can't handle the entire house all at once.

Hans Solo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good you have a generator. Hopefully if the power goes off it will be during the winter!

BTW, just FYI MACNA is in NOLA the end of august if you don't know already! I won't be there, but would like to!

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good you have a generator. Hopefully if the power goes off it will be during the winter!

BTW, just FYI MACNA is in NOLA the end of august if you don't know already! I won't be there, but would like to!
I wish but it's always summer and hurricane season when we need it.
YES!!! Funny you say that, I was wondering last night if any of the reputable seahorse breeders will be there. I will! I haven't looked at the most recent vendor list, but I'm pretty sure it sold out.

OP
OP
K

Keepswiming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I really love those pictures of your tank. Even the green fake plant looks like it fits in! I think the black sand was a good idea.

Thanks! They Clown are doing great. This new pair is tiny! I heard negative things about keeping fish with the ponies, I guess I didn't listen. The clowns are no where near competition for food. I also doubt they spook the seahorses because they stay at the top and very small/not aggressive. I will have to watch them as they mature.

I have a couple pieces of real coral that cannot harm the seahorses, but I don't plan on adding a nem for the clowns. That would be a big issue for the ponies.

Hans Solo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! They Clown are doing great. This new pair is tiny! I heard negative things about keeping fish with the ponies, I guess I didn't listen. The clowns are no where near competition for food. I also doubt they spook the seahorses because they stay at the top and very small/not aggressive. I will have to watch them as they mature.

I have a couple pieces of real coral that cannot harm the seahorses, but I don't plan on adding a nem for the clowns. That would be a big issue for the ponies.

Have your seahorses mated yet? I used to have a ruby wrass in my tank, which was OK with my horses, but until he jumped out a died on my floor :( they had never had babies. I'll be using mesh lids of now on next time I have a fish that's capable. Afterwards I've had four batches since then. So might consider that if you want to raise some.

OP
OP
K

Keepswiming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have your seahorses mated yet? I used to have a ruby wrass in my tank, which was OK with my horses, but until he jumped out a died on my floor :( they had never had babies. I'll be using mesh lids of now on next time I have a fish that's capable. Afterwards I've had four batches since then. So might consider that if you want to raise some.
They have not yet mated. They have only been a pair for about 11 months now.

OP
OP
K

Keepswiming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5268 (1).jpg

Sea horses are mating. Failed to raise the first batch on live baby brine. Any information on raising fry is much appreciated!!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back