My Shallow Dream Build 60" × 30" × 17"

OP
OP
J

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha, yes. Typo :D. Proofing reading may have helped ;)

Yeah but that just takes all the fun right out of it!

Really? Proofreading? We are reef keepers not English teachers. Well, some in our midst may be, but still WE aren't!

LOL!

;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol somehow I picture you tapping your watch and shaking your head in disapproval. ;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

Screenshot_20190715-152213_Messages.jpg
20190710_174439.jpg
20190710_144154.jpg
20190710_171034.jpg

And it's official!!! What an amazing day, I am truly a lucky guy to have such a fantastic woman in my life:D:D

Now that that day has come and gone, we can get back to business :p I have found myself in a bit of a conundrum. I am in the middle of ordering my plumbing for the build and am hung up on the bulkheads. Officially the holes drilled into the closed loop were designed for Schedule 40 bulkheads (1" for the returns and 1 1/2" for the inlet). I'm now staring at schedule 80 bulkheads and wondering if it's worth it to shrink the pipe size for the closed loop to 3/4" for the outlets and 1 1/4" for the inlet. This will leave about a 2MM gap between the sch80 bulkheads and the glass as they aren't quite a snug fit with the downsize.

Flow wise I'm not too concerned about the smaller piping as most pumps I'm looking at have a 3/4" outlet anyway and I really don't need crazy flow for the corals I would like to keep. Is the schedule 80 really worth it? I feel it might be as these holes are in the bottom of my tank and the stronger the better. But I have had schedule 40 bulkheads before and they held up solid and I feel they would probably be fine. Anyone feel free to share your thoughts on what you would use and why?

Just recently catching up on many threads.
This is my favourite post till now.
Congratulations.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think every time I have everything lined up...bam, I forgot something else.

Unfortunately this is very true even though I've planned and planned I still seem to have missed a fair bit. Lol

It never ends.

No it doesn't, but that's what the hobbies all about, always something else. It wouldn't be much of a fun hobby if it ended at a point.

Yezzzir!!! This is gonna be sweet to follow.

Great to have you along Rich! Just picked up some lovely lumber and Jack posts on Thursday. I've decided to level off the floor and reinforce it anyway even though I am confident what I have now will hold. The wife wants the extra security so the 3 2x10 floor joists under the tank are being doubled up and the end plate of all the joists is being removed and replace with a doubled up beam. That reminds me I need more hangers!

Saintnovakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And so it begins! (This will be a slow and steady build) After moving into our first home a month ago and selling our cargo trailer I have been given the green light to order my dream tank and get rolling on putting together a system that I will be happy with for many years to come.

The house we purchased has a living room, family room and a teeny tiny dining 'nook' off the living room. I'm currently in the midst of redoing the family room into the new dining room and the nook will become my tank area (Pictured Below)

The tank itself will be built by Miracles Aquariums, a 60" × 24" × 16.5" peninsula style with external overflow plumbed to the basement fish room below (Yes I got lucky enough there is a room in the basement just to the right of where the tank will be that has no purpose, so the fiancé suggested it become a fish room, gotta love her:)).

Right now my two clowns are hanging out in a Nuvo 10 after the move as I didn't want to set up the RSM C130 once I found out I could get the new tank. Hopefully they can hold out a few more months without going insane.

Equipment list for now consists of...

Tank: Miracles Custom Peninsula
Stand: DIY dual layer Plywood
Sump: Custom Lifereef for now, upgrading down the road
Lighting: 48" Aquatic Life T5 fixture with Kessil A160s
Skimmer: Lifereef SVS2-24
Heaters: Dual Neotherms (unknown size as of now)
Controller: GHL Profilux 4 Ultimate Set with touch pad.
Return: Undecided, leaning towards Sicce Syncra SDC 9.0

Just wanted to get the thread started now and I'll be adding pictures and info as I go along:D

And a really horrible screen drawing of the eventual position of the tank

Hey buddy. What thickness glass is your tank?

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 16 45.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.9%
Back