My Shallow Dream Build 60" × 30" × 17"

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And here we are today with one final coat and a little muscle!!! I'm going to have to do a little touch up on the stain but other than that things went pretty smoothly:)

Wow.

Just beautiful. Nice job.
And the dimensions are so unique. Loving it.

Great build thread so far. I'll here for the haul :)

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't PM? I know there was a time when I shut down my inbox but it should be working again.

There I sent you one instead:)
I cant view ur profile. U have ur privacy settings tight.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow.

Just beautiful. Nice job.
And the dimensions are so unique. Loving it.

Great build thread so far. I'll here for the haul :)

I cant view ur profile. U have ur privacy settings tight.

Thank you! Glad to have you along for the long haul;) I've really fallen in love with the dimensions and can't wait till it's all set up.

I went through and fixed my settings, I think... lolo_O I honestly don't remember going that strict with them;Locktopic

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JoshH, this has been an amazing built so far.
I am sorry about your loss and hope you continue this new tank soon.
Setbacks are there to be conquered and overcome. You have a new tank... just make it better than the previous one!

Good luck.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JoshH, this has been an amazing built so far.
I am sorry about your loss and hope you continue this new tank soon.
Setbacks are there to be conquered and overcome. You have a new tank... just make it better than the previous one!

Good luck.

Thanks @Janci I really appreciate the kind words and the tank will definitely be continuing in about a month I should have all the plumbing ordered. Unfortunately at this second the tanks on the back burner to other things but that will change. This build will be completed eventually, hopefully sooner rather than later but we shall see how things fall into place:) And this tank will definitely be better than the Nuvo, by a landslide!

I just need to be patient;Shifty

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tic tic tock

Lol somehow I picture you tapping your watch and shaking your head in disapproval. ;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

Screenshot_20190715-152213_Messages.jpg
20190710_174439.jpg
20190710_144154.jpg
20190710_171034.jpg

And it's official!!! What an amazing day, I am truly a lucky guy to have such a fantastic woman in my life:D:D

Now that that day has come and gone, we can get back to business :p I have found myself in a bit of a conundrum. I am in the middle of ordering my plumbing for the build and am hung up on the bulkheads. Officially the holes drilled into the closed loop were designed for Schedule 40 bulkheads (1" for the returns and 1 1/2" for the inlet). I'm now staring at schedule 80 bulkheads and wondering if it's worth it to shrink the pipe size for the closed loop to 3/4" for the outlets and 1 1/4" for the inlet. This will leave about a 2MM gap between the sch80 bulkheads and the glass as they aren't quite a snug fit with the downsize.

Flow wise I'm not too concerned about the smaller piping as most pumps I'm looking at have a 3/4" outlet anyway and I really don't need crazy flow for the corals I would like to keep. Is the schedule 80 really worth it? I feel it might be as these holes are in the bottom of my tank and the stronger the better. But I have had schedule 40 bulkheads before and they held up solid and I feel they would probably be fine. Anyone feel free to share your thoughts on what you would use and why?

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JoshH,

Congrats on your new journey, love the west coast views.

That stand looks fantastic, especially with the tank on it. Love the finish. And of course tank looks amazing, because let's face it, Miracles is the best. I also couldn't be happier with their quality. I love the touch with one piece euro braces top. Really makes it pop.

With 2mm difference it wont be a problem IMO as a plumber. Is the price drastically different? Is that reason for decrease. Or to take up little less room in tank.

Keep up the good work ;)

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grats!

@JoshH,

That stand looks fantastic, especially with the tank on it. Love the finish. And of course tank looks amazing, because let's face it, Miracles is the best. I also couldn't be happier with their quality. I love the touch with one piece euro braces top. Really makes it pop.

With 2mm difference it wont be a problem IMO as a plumber. Is the price drastically different? Is that reason for decrease. Or to take up little less room in tank.

Keep up the good work ;)

When I ordered my bulkheads and gate valves from BRS, they assured me it makes no difference which schedule you use. Its personal preference. (Unless I misunderstood them)

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats! Beautiful setting!

Don't bother with schedule 80 bulkheads. I have been using schedule 40 for years and had one failure due to strength and that one was tightened with channel locks.

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Don't bother with schedule 80 bulkheads. I have been using schedule 40 for years and had one failure due to strength and that one was tightened with channel locks.

When they fail, typically it is because someone over tightening them. Sch 40 just gives you some more reassurance incase you do over tighten them, with their thicker wall. With proper installation, sch 80 is just fine. But I also prefer sch 40. Just my .02

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations, @JoshH !! Looks like a beautiful site for a wedding.

Aside from all the tourists it was beautiful, Banff in the summer and fall is really hard to beat! The Rimrock was a beautiful hotel as well, amazing food and the views from the rooms were wonderful.
20190709_214235.jpg

20190711_104332.jpg
20190711_104433.jpg

20190711_094153.jpg

20190711_094049.jpg
20190711_094032.jpg

@JoshH,

Keep up the good work ;)

Thank you!!

The stand turned out pretty good for my first crack at it and I can't take all the credit I borrowed the darker trim idea from another member here:p

The one piece Eurobracing certainly is a nice touch and being starfire I think it really does pull the tank together. I'm really glad that I went the route that I did and am REALLY happy with the outcome :):)

The downgrade is size is due to the thicker Sch80 bulkheads, the same pipe sized bulkheads are just to big for the current holes that are drilled. Schedule 80 is actually about twice the price and would stick into the tank much more lol so it's a smaller pipe size for twice the cost. The reason for the thought of switching to the 80 is they are, in theory, much thicker and stronger than the schedule 40 bulkheads. Being that these will be on the bottom of my tank I was thinking it might be a good idea to go with the "More Durable" option.

Grats!

When I ordered my bulkheads and gate valves from BRS, they assured me it makes no difference which schedule you use. Its personal preference. (Unless I misunderstood them)

Thanks man,

That's good to hear that I'm still good to go with the 40 in BRS' minds as well. It was my original plan, just having last minute hesitation.

Congratulations! Beautiful!

Thank you !!!

Thank you!!!

It seems to be the general consensus of the group which has me feeling much better. Bonus being if I did go with the 80 I'd have to order a whole bunch more pipe and fittings which I wasn't entirely looking forward to lol

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When they fail, typically it is because someone over tightening them. Sch 40 just gives you some more reassurance incase you do over tighten them, with their thicker wall. With proper installation, sch 80 is just fine. But I also prefer sch 40. Just my .02

I think you had the sizes backwards there but I get what you're saying;) Schedule 40s are on order, I've been dying to get this tank wet!

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha, yes. Typo :D. Proofing reading may have helped ;)

Really? Proofreading? We are reef keepers not English teachers. Well, some in our midst may be, but still WE aren't!

LOL!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 44 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back