My Shallow Dream Build 60" × 30" × 17"

OP
OP
J

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get those?

Briefly mentioned it above but I got them at the same place I ordered the clowns from New Dawn Aquaculture out of Edmonton, Alberta :)

What is your light plan?

Two AI Primes centered between two Orphek OR3 48" Daylight plus bars to start and eventually replacing the Primes with either Kessils or Hydra 32's :)

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and BTW, gotta say I love myself just a little bit for plumbing in a 1/4" line off of my Closed loop system :p . Makes setting up a drip for acclimation a BREEZE!!!

Pull it out from under the cabinet, crack the valve and you're in business :D
Are there pics of this fantastic idea?? I get the jist of it but can’t figure out how it’s hooked up.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there pics of this fantastic idea?? I get the jist of it but can’t figure out how it’s hooked up.

I'll snag you a pic in a few minutes but on one of the closed loop return pipes there is a T plumbed in. One end of the T goes to the two return outlets of the system and the other end has a 1" spigot to 1/4" thread adapater. You then thread a 1/4" thread to 1/4" RODI fitting inside that and run RODI tubing for as long as you need add a valve at the end of it and that's it.

FWIW you could also do this with a manifold on a regular system (I don't really have that option if I'm acclimating next to the display because the manifold will be in the basement with the sump) or even plumb it right off the return line if you don't have room for a manifold.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll snag you a pic in a few minutes but on one of the closed loop return pipes there is a T plumbed in. One end of the T goes to the two return outlets of the system and the other end has a 1" spigot to 1/4" thread adapater. You then thread a 1/4" thread to 1/4" RODI fitting inside that and run RODI tubing for as long as you need add a valve at the end of it and that's it.

FWIW you could also do this with a manifold on a regular system (I don't really have that option if I'm acclimating next to the display because the manifold will be in the basement) or even plumb it right off the return line if you don't have room for a manifold.
I had to read it 4 times but I think I understand ;Hilarious Will appreciate pics too!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
giphy.gif

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to read it 4 times but I think I understand ;Hilarious Will appreciate pics too!

So here you can see the T and fittings needed to reduce to the 1/4" RODI line that goes out of sight with the valve at the other end of it.
20201006_204336.jpg

I also use the same setup on my return for a siphon break, never clogs, had one running for years and only maintained it once in a blue moon and all that consisted of was opening the valve fully and then turning it back down.

20201006_204424.jpg

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s such a great idea!! Making a mental note of this. Thank you!
Glad to see you got some critters!! I’m sure the tiny clowns are very lonely in that huge tank! What fish is/are next?!

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s such a great idea!! Making a mental note of this. Thank you!
Glad to see you got some critters!! I’m sure the tiny clowns are very lonely in that huge tank! What fish is/are next?!

Any time, happy to help!

I believe the next addition will be either a Diamond or Engineer Goby

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here you can see the T and fittings needed to reduce to the 1/4" RODI line that goes out of sight with the valve at the other end of it.
20201006_204336.jpg

I also use the same setup on my return for a siphon break, never clogs, had one running for years and only maintained it once in a blue moon and all that consisted of was opening the valve fully and then turning it back down.

20201006_204424.jpg
I like this approach. I will think about this in my next effort.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice CUC haul! Fighting Conch is probably the critter I miss the most not having sand in my tank. Would love one of those! Love the cool eyes.

I actually lucked out they JUST recieved a new shipment in when I was shopping and had a nice variety to choose from. I've never had a conch before and have ALWAYS wanted one so I snagged it immediately. It was on top of the sand for all of 30 seconds and then disappeared beneath the surface and I haven't seen it since :p

And come on Brian, get that sand back in there and live the dream!!!

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"mess maker ,mess maker ,make me a mess" ;)

Seems to be a given with many gobies though and I would like one to keep my sand turned so I'll have to give it some more thought.

This is the front right of the display, the tape is lined up with the divide, cube to the right. ;)

DSC_0003 (1024x683).jpg

Eh that's not too bad just under half the total height of my aquarium ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i have the perfect sand sifter for ya,the black banded eel,i had one for years, soo cool,docile,wiggles/sleeps though sand all day,pokes nose out for food gentile slow moving ,in and out of sand all night,kept mine in open top 75 about 3 yrs grew from 18"-24",only big around as a penny,i tagged you to a thread here ,from google:rolleyes:;):cool:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back