.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys,

Few months ago I found that snail in my tank:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/please-id-just-found.224099/

Then this snail growth, I've noticed few damaged acros here and there but very small, I was always blaming my small gorillas crabs that living inside the rock. But yesterday that snail was walking on my acro and on the morning I've noticed that this acro miss all the tissue in that spot, the acro is bright beige color so it was difficult to spot from first look ...

Today I did an experiment, when that snail started to eat around my fresh frag that was encrusted on the rock I was just waiting to see what will happen after she leave that spot.

Snail_001.jpg

Here is the result and few more pictures of her work, all encrusting is gone and tissue on the frag is damaged as well:

Snail_002.jpg

All the front side is gone on the bottom:

Snail_003.jpg

Snail_004.jpg

Snail_005.jpg

Snail_006.jpg

I don't know guys, but they're not reef safe at all @143MPCo ;) Cheers !

Rams

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hello guys,

Then this snail growth, I've noticed few damaged acros here and there but very small, I was always blaming my small gorillas crabs that living inside the rock. But yesterday that snail was walking on my acro and on the morning I've noticed that this acro miss all the tissue in that spot, the acro is bright beige color so it was difficult to spot from first look ...

Today I did an experiment, when that snail started to eat around my fresh frag that was encrusted on the rock I was just waiting to see what will happen after she leave that spot.

Snail_001.jpg

Here is the result and few more pictures of her work, all encrusting is gone and tissue on the frag is damaged as well:

Snail_002.jpg

Snail_003.jpg

Snail_004.jpg

Snail_005.jpg

Snail_006.jpg

I found same one in my tank and lost couple of sps.do you know how to kill these snails?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys,

Snail_001.jpg

Snail_002.jpg

Snail_003.jpg

Snail_004.jpg

Snail_005.jpg

Snail_006.jpg

If it has a hole at the apex of the shell it's likely a keyhole limpet which do eat coral.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this same?
Yeah, that looks like a keyhole limpet of some kind to me - just to add, most keyhole limpets are safe; if yours is eating your coral, then you got pretty unlucky:
It’s rare, but there are two taxonomic subfamilies of keyhole limpets (Diodorinae and Emarginulinae) that I have found research on showing that they have a handful of species in them that are either known to or thought to occasionally eat corals (I’d need to go digging through the papers again, but, IIRC, they only ate SPS , and they had pretty specific tastes/preferences).
do you know how to kill these snails?
Not specifically, unfortunately - most remedies I know would hurt other things the tank too. I'd imagine predatory snail species (like oyster drills, Murex snails, or similar) might eat them, but I can't confirm that, and they'd likely eat your other snails too.

Rams

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yeah, that looks like a keyhole limpet of some kind to me - just to add, most keyhole limpets are safe; if yours is eating your coral, then you got pretty unlucky:

Not specifically, unfortunately - most remedies I know would hurt other things the tank too. I'd imagine predatory snail species (like oyster drills, Murex snails, or similar) might eat them, but I can't confirm that, and they'd likely eat your other snails too.
Thx much,I lost couple of sps because of these

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back