My SPS dominant 180g

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a calcium reactor I am planning on using for the first time. I got an old MRC CR-2, two chambered setup. Some local folks talked me into using a Masterflex pump to regulate the effluent. I haven't got everything completely set up yet, but so far I'm glad I did the Masterflex. It seems like it is going to make regulating the effluent so much easier.

OP
OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a calcium reactor I am planning on using for the first time. I got an old MRC CR-2, two chambered setup. Some local folks talked me into using a Masterflex pump to regulate the effluent. I haven't got everything completely set up yet, but so far I'm glad I did the Masterflex. It seems like it is going to make regulating the effluent so much easier.

Nice! Unfortunately with Christmas and just buying a house, I don't have the spare funds to spend on a masterflex pump yet but hopefully in a couple months. Especially since it is not necessary for it to work. I am definitely keeping my eye out for a used one though.

I think I may just use a toms aqualifter.

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luckily there was a local guy selling one really cheap here. Keep an eye out, sometimes you can find some good deals.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a heads up there is someone selling a brand new one on eBay for $1300. I just made an offer of $350 to see what he would say. They made a counter offer of $650 for a brand new pump.

OP
OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Luckily there was a local guy selling one really cheap here. Keep an eye out, sometimes you can find some good deals.

Just a heads up there is someone selling a brand new one on eBay for $1300. I just made an offer of $350 to see what he would say. They made a counter offer of $650 for a brand new pump.

Thanks guys, I definitely will keep looking out for one. I should have the calcium reactor tomorrow and hopefully will be begin setting it up soon after. Tank is looking good right now and I think this should hopefully take it to a higher level.

OP
OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
so I have had the calcium reactor online since Wednesday Dec 20th and I can honestly already say that I see a difference in PE in the corals. Both during the day and during the night, I am excited to see the direction the tank will go in over the next couple months.

Have to keep testing alk twice a day and adjust the melting point of my media, as I want a steady drip in the outflow so I dont get a clog in my check valve. Everything is pretty steady so far, but I assume I am going to have a good pickup in demand soon.

OP
OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
everything has been going great with the CaRx since I added it, corals seem like they are about to take off.

I do have a bit of a cyano issues on my sandbed and on my cheato in my sump. I am thinking about throwing out the cheato and keeping the fuge clear till I completely get rid of the cyano but a little worried what my p04 and nitrates would do. Still thinking that over.

I got a bottle of AF Strontium, I am going to start dosing 1 drop a day since my Sr has always been low. See if this does anything over the next month or so.

I will try to take some pictures sometime this weekend with my iPhone and update the thread. Just got the X, so hopefully it can take better pictures then the 7s I had previously.

Last edited:

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to the pics! Even if you don't throw the chaeto away, killing the cyano is going to raise your nutrients.

OP
OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looking forward to the pics! Even if you don't throw the chaeto away, killing the cyano is going to raise your nutrients.

It just a real small amount at this point, it has been getting smaller by the day with sucking it out with a turkey baster. along with the conchs and diamond goby I added.

OP
OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
d131911ca28a7430fe330ac72bed2923.jpg

Just a quick iPhone shot. Really bad at taking a FTS but I’m hoping to get some top down shots soon.

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks good. Your light setup looks to be the same as mine but I have the SB reef bars instead of the reefbrites.

OP
OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tank looks good. Your light setup looks to be the same as mine but I have the SB reef bars instead of the reefbrites.
Thanks man, you gotta start a thread on your tank. Your pictures look great and im sure you tank looks great too

Nice floating scaping [emoji1360] following

Thank you, I did it for when the corals grow out. It has been a year since I set it up this month. However I lost a ton of corals in the beginning being really lazy. Not paying attention to the RO/DI when I moved and the new place has sooooo much worse TDS and I was putting so many metals in my system. Whole thing was a disaster and it unfortuantly took me so long to realize it. Lost alot of good corals and good amount of mini colonies.

Tank looks awesome

Thank you! Cant wait for it to grow out to the colonies you have. I can tell the corals are about to take off in the next couple months just based on how much they are spreading their bases, soon they have to start shooting out branches.

OP
OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
145855ff0187006ac4bf4524629048f6.jpg

Real small WD frag I got a couple months ago.

cc69748564b0caea869df833896b05e7.jpg

The miyagi tort and purple stylo are going good.

381bad467456a3544d1a1c3d78aa6cdc.jpg

This wild one is growing good lately.

c15c58b760c47772616a73ebbb7af020.jpg

Another unknown but from battlecorals, hoping this takes over the silicon I had to use for the scape.

OP
OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Dosing right now:

Supplements:
1 drop of Sr every night or every other (started last week, want to see if this helps growth and how coralline grows)
1 drop of Iron every other night or longer (started last week, want to see how this does on my cheato)
2-3 drops of Lugol every night or every other
5 mls of FWS every night or every other
1/4 tsp or 1/4th of the recommended dose of Reef Actif once a week (just started today)

Then I have the CaRx doing all the heavy lifting.

I am feeding around 2 ice cubes of my homemade fish food a night and also every once in awhile a pinch or two of flakes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
well I was wondering why I am not having the PE like I used to and why new corals have great PE for 1-2 weeks and then it goes down a little. Also wondering why I randomly have some base recession on corals and slowly slowly slowly kills them.

I think I found the issue, I have these very very very small grey/black bugs. They are so small that I cannot see them without a magnify glass and cannot take a picture of them.

I ordered some interceptor and since that really has no risks at all besides snails, I think it is well worth it to see if it does anything. I am going to check again tonight when the lights go off for the bugs on the bases of the 2-3 corals that have been dying back to make sure I seem them again and I wasnt just seeing stuff. The black spots I saw this morning when looking with a magnify glass and flashlight are gone since the lights came back on, so if I see them later when the lights are off I think that 100% confirms I have those small grey/black bugs.

If I do, I plan on doing an interceptor dose 4x as strong as normal. Before that since I do not have another tank setup, I will be making a very temporary spot for my snails, crabs, shrimp and urchins. Just going to fill up a 20 gallon tank with some old water with a heater, powerhead and air stone for them so the 3 weeks I will be doing this treatment.

OP
OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
well I was wondering why I am not having the PE like I used to and why new corals have great PE for 1-2 weeks and then it goes down a little. Also wondering why I randomly have some base recession on corals and slowly slowly slowly kills them.

I think I found the issue, I have these very very very small grey/black bugs. They are so small that I cannot see them without a magnify glass and cannot take a picture of them.

I ordered some interceptor and since that really has no risks at all besides snails, I think it is well worth it to see if it does anything. I am going to check again tonight when the lights go off for the bugs on the bases of the 2-3 corals that have been dying back to make sure I seem them again and I wasnt just seeing stuff. The black spots I saw this morning when looking with a magnify glass and flashlight are gone since the lights came back on, so if I see them later when the lights are off I think that 100% confirms I have those small grey/black bugs.

If I do, I plan on doing an interceptor dose 4x as strong as normal. Before that since I do not have another tank setup, I will be making a very temporary spot for my snails, crabs, shrimp and urchins. Just going to fill up a 20 gallon tank with some old water with a heater, powerhead and air stone for them so the 3 weeks I will be doing this treatment.

well I have the interceptor now, but I have not seen the bugs that I saw before so I am going to hold off on dosing and just keep doing everything as I have been doing.

Which is:

1 drop of Sr every night or every other
1 drop of Iron every other night or longer
2-3 drops of Lugol every night or every other
5 mls of FWS every night or every other
1/4 tsp or 1/4th of the recommended dose of Reef Actif once a week

My old cheato kept dying from when I dosed flucazone so I pulled it all out and have ordered more to replenish my fuge. Going to be testing all my parameters tomorrow. I still check ALK everyday pretty much and it has been very constant from 7-7.5 which I am happy about.

OP
OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
well I just dosed 2 large pills for my 180 gallon DT and 40 gallon sump last night around 10pm, this morning around 7am I took a look and all the snails seem to be fine, the emerald crab I got looks fine but I still saw a ton of pods running around the rocks. I thought for sure they would all be dead, so not sure what is going on there.

I planned to do a water change at lunch, around 12pm and add activated carbon. However if I see them still running around then, I will most likely not change the water till tonight.

I dosed this because there is a very small risk for me (maybe my emerald crab and snails, thats it) and I think that is well worth the risk to see if this is what is causing some of my SPS to die very slowly from the base. I did see the black pod looking things on them again last night before I dosed it. They are so small you cannot see them without a flashlight and magnify glass. I moved the couple corals that have the brittle base and pods on them to the front of the tank where the magnify glass can focus on them to see if they are still on them or not. I will check in a little when I go home for lunch.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back