OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Nice update! Seems things have turned around for you.

Very Nice. Things are starting to take off for you.

Thank you guys! Everything has been doing great lately so I am excited for whats coming forward in the tank, think I am going to be starting up a frag tank connected to this system soon too.

11f150

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys! Everything has been doing great lately so I am excited for whats coming forward in the tank, think I am going to be starting up a frag tank connected to this system soon too.

I think thats a great idea if you can plumb a frag tank into the plumbing of your existing tank. The maintenance for water quality wont change much like adding a completely separate tank. Everyone knows with most (not all) hobbyist if you get a 2nd tank it will eventually decline if its a completely separate tank, so I like the idea of adding it to your existing tank plumbing.

Second Shot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure i remember reading what you did to turn things around. Anything in particular?

OP
OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I think thats a great idea if you can plumb a frag tank into the plumbing of your existing tank. The maintenance for water quality wont change much like adding a completely separate tank. Everyone knows with most (not all) hobbyist if you get a 2nd tank it will eventually decline if its a completely separate tank, so I like the idea of adding it to your existing tank plumbing.

Exactly my thoughts. It will be really easy to plumb into my current system as I sump is in the basement below my DT and I have a ton of room down there. It will just be a small frag tank, probably like 24 inch long by 24 inch wides.

Not sure i remember reading what you did to turn things around. Anything in particular?

It was a combination of a lot of stuff. First thing was I was lazy and not testing the TDS of my water and I must have been using TDS over 002 for months and months, then I started to try to do all kinds of things and changed stuff way too often, then I got these relaly really small black bugs but luckily interceptor knocked them out and everything has been doing great since then.

Adding the CaRx may have been the best thing I have done to the tank though and just keeping it simple. I do nothing now besides check alk every once in awhile, dosing lugols iodine, sometimes iron for the cheato and strontium every once in awhile. I always dose WAY under the recommended dose just to play it safe.

OP
OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Getting on my way with the frag tank, hopefully will have it setup and running by the end of this month.

Today I bought a 250w MH setup that I will use in the middle for now, once I fill up my frag/grow out tank I will get another. I have a gyre already for the tank. I picked up a 40g breeder for free, just need to get it drilled on the side for the bulkhead to go over to my sump.

So all I need to do now is build a stand, I am going to make it large probably around 5-6 feet and 36 inches wide to have a lot of extra room.

OP
OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
quick little update. have the frag tank hooked up and running, looks good so far.

The frags there seem like theyre already changing colors under the MH, think I may have too much PAR so I raised the MH off the tank. All the corals are growing like crazy and coloring up in the DT. Love how the tank is going recently.

Just bought a MattV Rainbow Envy frag with multiple branches that has been neglected for a little while but I got proof straight from the source thats its 100% real so I am excited about that, will probably just take a couple months to color up.

11f150

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
quick little update. have the frag tank hooked up and running, looks good so far.

The frags there seem like theyre already changing colors under the MH, think I may have too much PAR so I raised the MH off the tank. All the corals are growing like crazy and coloring up in the DT. Love how the tank is going recently.

Just bought a MattV Rainbow Envy frag with multiple branches that has been neglected for a little while but I got proof straight from the source thats its 100% real so I am excited about that, will probably just take a couple months to color up.

Well...lets see some pics of it!

The frag tank that is..

OP
OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Well I haven’t done an update in a long time but everything has been going great. The corals are taking off.

I suck at taking pictures since I’m only using my iPhone and trying to white balance and it’s awful but I tried my best to take a picture of my MattV Rainbow Envy since it is starting to color up and get a lot of colors which you can’t tell from this picture but I figured I might as well post it.

cdc17e7d0ae470a93386ea39b928368b.png

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I haven’t done an update in a long time but everything has been going great. The corals are taking off.

I suck at taking pictures since I’m only using my iPhone and trying to white balance and it’s awful but I tried my best to take a picture of my MattV Rainbow Envy since it is starting to color up and get a lot of colors which you can’t tell from this picture but I figured I might as well post it.

cdc17e7d0ae470a93386ea39b928368b.png
I have been wanting to get one of the rainbow envy's. Is this a coral that needs blue to look good or it's pretty in daylight also?

OP
OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have been wanting to get one of the rainbow envy's. Is this a coral that needs blue to look good or it's pretty in daylight also?

It is pretty in daylight too. I will try to post a picture sometime this week but again I am sure it will look bad since I am just using an iPhone.

OP
OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
6a76db039a1d5559c413dc6302769e17.jpg

Here is the MattV Rainbow Envy under all T5s, again horrible picture quality. It’s pretty bad quality because I have to zoom in since it is in a lower spot in my tank. I am going to move it up soon once I move some corals. It looks better in person but that’s the best I could capture.

32a9c59eee1b906cb2a9e7abe355e445.jpg

I actually like the WD under daylights, I know some people don’t but I do. Obviously looks best under all blues.

3be9c73ed0c1e30e6b482b5f51bec94d.jpg

Green slimer

fa52d5951393f2d3e55ea357e8f475dd.jpg

Unknown

65438b6c967830322d7cb2be9a076333.jpg

Pink Lemonade

9fe7233c93f9bb829d9832a39a65aa0e.jpg

Oregon Tort

ee2bd99cd3af30d6b337d74159c387a3.jpg

Pinky the bear

7b4f6f55e3e431b50570955d3e550634.jpg

Unknown, but I love the red color on this.

That’s all the pictures for now. I will try to capture some of the others soon. Still need to take pictures of the corals in the frag tank too.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your corals are looking top notch! Your WD might be one of the best I seen for being full daylight. Yours definitely puts mine to shame. The more I keep seeing pinky the bear, the more I want one.

How do you feel about the rainbow envy? Does it need blue light to look good?

OP
OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Your corals are looking top notch! Your WD might be one of the best I seen for being full daylight. Yours definitely puts mine to shame. The more I keep seeing pinky the bear, the more I want one.

How do you feel about the rainbow envy? Does it need blue light to look good?

Thanks alot man!

I really like Pinky the bear and it gets better the more it grows out.

The rainbow envy has honestly been getting more and more colors for me every 1-2 weeks. When I got it, it was soo pale and plain ugly but I had 100% evidence it was from MattV himself so I bought it hoping I could color it up and it is so far. I have only had it for 2 months. With that said, I like it under daylights and I think itll get even better. Obviously it looks better under all blues but I would buy it again with how it is looking now. Especially that I still have to move it to high par, its one of the lowest corals in my tank just because I wasnt sure how to treat it when I got it. Now I know it loves high par so I will be moving it up soon.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.0%
Back