My SPS Tank Reconstruction

Fence13

Over Thinker Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my story that I'll (hopefully) keep updated as I go through the process. I've had my fairly basic 75g up and running for about 3+ years now. It's grown into a fairly good sized SPS tank but I got lazy, lax, and careless and so some bad things happened to it, to which I'll get to in a moment. This is going to be the story of me fixing up tank and reconstructing it into another great SPS tank.

The Beginning
The tank started out with very humble beginnings. First SPS frags I ever received were given to me during one of my local clubs holiday parties. The green slimer and ORA Birds of Paradise that you'll see, have been through a lot. I imagine them almost bullet proof to have survived so long in a tank from such a new person.

1545025_10100633163607233_901024185_n.jpg

It's strange to look back on old photos (the above is from 01/01/2014) and see how things used to be. The foxface is so small!

13048380224_6761c5fe35_o.jpg

Side view from a similar time. Look at all the free space there is! Also my tang is rather small as well. They're cuter when they were small....like a kitten.

The tank has always had the same basic equipment. I use a non-baffled 29 gallon tank as a sump, with a HOB overflow. 2 Kessils have always lit the tank. Started out as basic 360's and now are the 360we. There's a filter sock, skimmer, algae scrubber, and a carbon reactor that I don't change nearly enough. 1 MP40w is the only flow I have aside from the return pump. Apex controls most things but not a lot of equipment has changed on this tank. I've only had to replace the return pump, 1 light, and pump on my skimmer in the entire 3+ years. For the last year or so I've had an automated doser as I could never keep up with the manual dosing. Currently using the BRS 2 part but will probably be switching over to ESV B-Ionic when that runs out.

For those still with me, here are some shots taken with my phone tonight. This is the current view. 20170207_183440.jpg
Obligatory full tank shot. Can you see the Green Slimer from here?

20170207_183333.jpg
Right side facing the tank. The big birds nest is the ORA Birds of Paradise, behind it is the monster colony that my Green Slimer has become. You'll notice a tabling acro to the right of the Green Slimer, it'll become important in a moment.
20170207_183327.jpg
The left side facing the tank. (queue dirty glass). This is the LPS side of my SPS tank. The clowns live in the duncan colony, and the torch gets to be the size of a mini basketball before I frag it in half every so often. Giant colony of Spongodes is home to the midas blenny.

The Fall
One morning, not too long ago, I woke up, went to make breakfast and noticed that I had some pearly white SPS in my tank. My 6" colony of shortcake and my 3" Red Dragon corals were bleach white. I tested my levels and my Mg was super low. Long story short, I tried dosing Mg for a couple of days, with no luck, then someone asked the simple basic question.

"Have you checked your salinity with a calibrated refractometer?" and I thought "Oh $#!@" you see, I had looked at Salinity briefly, but had not thought about calibrating it, or making sure it was accurate. My salinity had dropped to 1.017 or something close. It was bad. I then started doing 5 gallon water changes daily to bring my salinity back up. I used SW in my top off instead of RO/DI and after about 5 days it was back up to 1.026.

I had recently changed scoops for my salt bucket and must have thought that x amount of cups was close to what I had been doing, and never bothered to check it. So gradually over time, the bottom fell out and my salinity kept plummeting.

Luckily, no livestock died, I even still have a porcelain crab and emerald crab who are doing well.

The Toll
So it's still touch and go but my levels have remained constant for a week now.

Alk = 7.7dKH (my tank has always had lower Alk levels)
Mg = 1350ppm
Ca = 420ppm
PO4 = 34ppb
NO3 = 2ppm

None of the dead coral have been removed yet. In the pictures above if you look closely you can see them pretty much starting to grow some cyano or brown algae. As mentioned, I lost my 6" colony of shortcake, a red dragon frag, a couple frags of monti (jedi mindtrick and sunset monti), my red cap has some white patches, and half of an aussie delicate frag (buried next to the birdsnest and green slimer).

The odd/scary/startling part is my green slimer has some patches of white on it, the bright green polyps are still there but the pigment in the skin is all gone. I'm hoping it will recover, but it hasn't gotten any worse yet.

OP
OP
Fence13

Fence13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving Forward
Once I'm fairly certain I'm not going to kill anything more, the plan is to go in and cut out the dead and see what space I have. I want to aim towards some new and different SPS corals that I've not had before. I've never had a mille in this tank (never got the polyp extension so never bothered).

I have current plans to sell the torch to free up more real estate and have even thought about adding an MP10 on the other end just for some extra flow.

I really like the Kessils and they have done a great job, I do have some shadowing issues but nothing I can't deal with.

My favorite spot is hard to get a picture of but it's the far right hand side of the rock work. It has a Cali Tort, an "Unknown" frag from Unique Corals that's pale and green with some red, and a tricolor valida that seems more Garf Bonsai then tricolor. Luckily all three pulled through and now I just need to convince them to grow more.

So that's where we are at. Lots of reading, sorry for the few photos. I'll try and break out the DSLR this weekend for some close ups. There's an ORA Pearlberry that's colored up nicely but is mounted horizontally, so it's hard to see in most pictures.

OP
OP
Fence13

Fence13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had acro's dead for over a year and come back... you never know. Your tank was beautiful :)

Thanks! I hope to get it back up to par here soon! Once work stops being so busy.....

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice job!

OP
OP
Fence13

Fence13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great news everyone! I've bred a new type of candy cane monti cap. .......

20170209_183931.jpg

So after a week of every other coral being okay.......the red cap is starting to slowly bleach a little more each day. This is about 4 days in. I'm wondering if it's just because the red cap started going downhill that it has to keep going downhill...... maybe it's more sensitive to Alk changes then the others? I wonder why my green cap (on opposite side of the tank) is okay?

OP
OP
Fence13

Fence13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today the cap was mostly gone. I fragged off a couple of pieces and placed them in a different part of the tank. Maybe it wont die out completely, but if not, red cap is handed out fairly frequently in my neck of the woods. Plus I could also look to replace with something else.

According to some of my local club members, they think the cap bleaching is due to low potassium levels. Something along the lines of caps are susceptible to low potassium levels. I'm borrowing a members test kit tomorrow to check the levels.

Y2KReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar event. My salinity crept up to 1.031. Softies literally melted away.

OP
OP
Fence13

Fence13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar event. My salinity crept up to 1.031. Softies literally melted away.

Thanks, I'm sure that things will settle down in time.

One good piece of news is that a local member gave me a frag of ORA Frogskin. This will let me see how new corals adapt to my tank now.

OP
OP
Fence13

Fence13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My little frogskin frag is still alive and kicking. It's getting some color but my silly feather duster worm has decided to camp out above it. I'm sure it's slowing down the growth a little.
20170223_192227.jpg

Today is also the first day that my levels have increased from the prior day.

2/23
MG - 1380 ppm
ALK - 8.3 dKH
CA - 400 ppm
NO3 - did not test
PO4 - did not test
PPT - 35 PPT
K - 460 ppm

OP
OP
Fence13

Fence13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's blurry photo, I blame my phone and the zoom to get at the awkward angle. It's angled forward to hopefully grow up instead of out front.

OP
OP
Fence13

Fence13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Things are going better. I was able to sell off the giant torch colony I had before and it has freed up a lot of real estate on the rock work. I mounted my extra PP-8 on the side of the tank to increase my flow on that side of the tank. It's currently running at 30% in their "else" mode.
20170227_174117.jpg

I also purchased a frag rack and plugs from Ocean Wonders (have to support local businesses!). Currently it's holding some bits of Green Slimer and Birds of Paradise that broke off in my previous fiddling around. Also has a frag of spongodes (far left) and something else that has blue tips and is brown. If anyone knows what it is, let me know :) I've apparently had this frag for so long that I've forgotten.
20170227_174124.jpg

OP
OP
Fence13

Fence13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the coral are doing better. I had an old brain die, so I replaced it with a frag I picked up from @PacificEastAquaculture. The cute little circle has been doing well on the sandbed for now.
20170227_174134.jpg
A piece of ORA Frogskin is coloring up nicely with purple and green. Still at an awkward angel.
20170227_174302.jpg

An ORA Borealis that was dying off is making a comeback. It's polyps have been better, but just not for this picture I guess. 20170227_174244.jpg

Finally, the polyps on my rainbow monti seemed to be really nice so I just had to take a picture.
20170227_174238.jpg

Things are coming along slowly but so far nothing else has died in the last two weeks or so. *Knocks on wood* Let us hope it stays that way!

OP
OP
Fence13

Fence13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The weekend I've been waiting for has arrived! First on Thursday I had a shipment come in from @uniquecorals. Got a rainbow stag, elkhorn monti, and their forest fire mili.

Then I had a local frag swap where I walked away like a bandit. Two ORA Red Planets (That look different), ORA Green Planet, Strawberry shortcake, Pink Lemonade (that's green?). I've got some nice placement room for them, going to try and see what I can get for polyp extension but more importantly wanting growth and color!

Pictures to come shortly once my phone connects.

OP
OP
Fence13

Fence13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also uploading my photos to google drive seems to ruin the quality. Here is direct from my phone. :) 20170313_184033.jpg
From Left to Right: Green Planet with it's deep rich green, the blue-green elkhorn monti, and the rainbow acro at the top right.
20170313_184039.jpg
Same but the focus is on the back two corals
20170313_184048.jpg
My favorite pick up of the weekend. This Red Planet, for the size it was an amazingly great buy!
20170313_184059.jpg
The frag rack is full! Very nice feeling. The forest fire mili is on the left, and the 2nd red planet is on the right of the spongodes.
20170313_184117.jpg
In the middle of these two is my strawberry shortcake frag. Those pink tips will look great amongst all the green once it grows out some more.
20170313_184126.jpg
Here's the pink lemonade, another sizable frag :)
20170313_184313.jpg
Another picture of the red planet from the side.
20170313_184301.jpg
Side shot of the tank. You can see the Pearlberry sneaking out from under the orange setosa.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back