MY TANK CANT KEEP CLOWNS

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two tanks... one 50g and one 80 ish gallons.

In my smaller tank. I have tried 3 pairs of clowns (all separated by one month after its death)
2 of those pairs are ocellaris and one pair is a skunk.

Why do they die so quickly? the longest lasting is only 3 months....

Does this have to do with how they are treated before they display them for sale?
Are they sensitive to copper that may be used in a LFS?
I don't see broken fins so it cant bullying from my wrasses.

They all follow the same pattern... They eat, a decent amount. Then one day, out of nowhere die...

OP
OP
alexytman

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two tanks... one 50g and one 80 ish gallons.

In my smaller tank. I have tried 3 pairs of clowns (all separated by one month after its death)
2 of those pairs are ocellaris and one pair is a skunk.

Why do they die so quickly? the longest lasting is only 3 months....

Does this have to do with how they are treated before they display them for sale?
Are they sensitive to copper that may be used in a LFS?
I don't see broken fins so it cant bullying from my wrasses.

They all follow the same pattern... They eat, a decent amount. Then one day, out of nowhere die...
BTW my maroon clownfish in my 80g has no problem, why is it that I cant keep it in my 50 g

Pete1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW my maroon clownfish in my 80g has no problem, why is it that I cant keep it in my 50 g

If all your levels are good, you might want to get your fish from a local reefer ! Might be a cyanide collection from where your fish were purchased, ive read similar stories

OP
OP
alexytman

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all your levels are good, you might want to get your fish from a local reefer ! Might be a cyanide collection from where your fish were purchased, ive read similar stories
what are cyanide collections? I am not sure on how that occurs. I think it would be possible to do so since my area has a facebook group to get from local reefers though. However, it'll only be much more expensive... Is it worth?

Pete1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alot of collectors in Asian use cyanide to collect fish its fast and cheap, but of course it kills corals and fish, google it

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible you have a predator hiding in your tank? Any other mysterious losses or disappearances?

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are bred so commonly I would bet most Ocellaris we get are bred in the states. Could be wrong on that though.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you added any other fish during this time that survived? Have you tried adding a black molly to your display to check for any diseases or parasites your current stock has grown immune too?

OP
OP
alexytman

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, my coral beauty.
At first I actually thought it was water or marine velvet.
However, my numbers are okay. Also if its marine velvet other fishes will be affected which didnt happen. (fyi, the coral beauty, and the two skunk clowns are from same shop and is not ordered online)

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a pair lasted three months and then died, I would not think it was the LFS. It sounds like there was no obvious disease. Did they expire at the same time? The other pairs too? How old is the tank and what are it’s parameters. Just trying to eliminate variables. I saw one of your threads mentioned dosing heavy metals. Was that for this tank?

OP
OP
alexytman

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a pair lasted three months and then died, I would not think it was the LFS. It sounds like there was no obvious disease. Did they expire at the same time? The other pairs too? How old is the tank and what are it’s parameters. Just trying to eliminate variables. I saw one of your threads mentioned dosing heavy metals. Was that for this tank?
The pairs that died, died very quick. The one that lasted three months had its partner die within 2weeks. (the other pairs passed away either days next to eacher other or at the same day) (and no, the heavy metal dosing was not for this tank, this is a anemone tank and has no corals so far so i dose manually if needed)

OP
OP
alexytman

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of my reef tank, you have any idea how bad hydroid digitates are? do they sting badly? there was a decent amount in my sump.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of my reef tank, you have any idea how bad hydroid digitates are? do they sting badly? there was a decent amount in my sump.

Nope. No experience with hydroids. If everything that died came from the same shop, I would try a different source probably. At least to eliminate that variable.

OP
OP
alexytman

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. No experience with hydroids. If everything that died came from the same shop, I would try a different source probably. At least to eliminate that variable.
Well... My maroon is from a different store... It's more expensive since its a mainly coral store but atleast I think they keep their fish longer so it's more stable

OP
OP
alexytman

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Are you certain you do not have parasites in your water? Have you QT any of these additions in copper or CP?
I don't think I have copper... I have an anemone and shrimp and other cuc which would die so I hope not. If it's parasite why is it clownfish specifically?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back