My tank exploded help me please

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember though - ICP will only show elemental levels, copper, iron, sodium, etc. If the toxin were an organic compound (likely) the ICP process would only show it in its elemental forms, and you'd never even notice it. Even ammonia and nitrate won't show in ICP.

Jay
Do ya think it's perhaps something on these shells he bought at hobby lobby Jay? Seems big coincidence that everything went south right after they were dropped in? Hopefully OP has removed them regardless....

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh for certain, 12 years or so, it's definitely getting fed. I just worry about the day it says it's time to kick it.... a bonanza of toxin from what I hear....
They aren’t gaurenteed to explode it’s just a chance

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do ya think it's perhaps something on these shells he bought at hobby lobby Jay? Seems big coincidence that everything went south right after they were dropped in? Hopefully OP has removed them regardless....
I worry about that - the shells are often cleaned with bleach or other oxidants. Back in the 1970's aquarium books said never put gastropod shells in your aquarium for fear of poisonings...I think they were mostly worried about dead/dried snail up inside the shell...

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Oh no !! In the 90s when i had my pet store , the ones from Hobby lobby were washed in bleach and some even coated with lacquer

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no !! In the 90s when i had my pet store , the ones from Hobby lobby were washed in bleach and some even coated with lacquer
Now that you mention it, seems like lots of the hobby shells are/were coated in lacquer... This seems like a likely culprit here. :(

OP
OP
D

Dominic M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I'm assuming happened.
And yeah I removed them, I wonder how many of the inverts still survived and were able to handle the chemical, kind of interesting.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That's what I'm assuming happened.
And yeah I removed them, I wonder how many of the inverts still survived and were able to handle the chemical, kind of interesting.
If you add chemipure elite, it will help greatly to remove toxins, along with 25% water change

Mellotang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone is saying poison, toxin....

how about the fact that the tank
Looks extremely immature, a new person was feeding the aquarium which almost guarantees over feeding. Or feeding too much food too quick, ammonia before he even left at .25.

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say the instability in the tank, lack Of Maturity and biological diversity couldn’t handle the heavy handed feeding, im sure it’s possible a closed up house while on vacation lowered PH, then maybe everyone panicked and opened some windows, raised ph in the presence of ammonia which made ammonia toxic.

Just some thoughts

those rocks look
Like they don’t have any live on them
That tank is unstable

lesson learned, go slow
I wouldn’t be so quick to blame a couple of shells

OP
OP
D

Dominic M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone is saying poison, toxin....

how about the fact that the tank
Looks extremely immature, a new person was feeding the aquarium which almost guarantees over feeding. Or feeding too much food too quick, ammonia before he even left at .25.

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say the instability in the tank, lack Of Maturity and biological diversity couldn’t handle the heavy handed feeding, im sure it’s possible a closed up house while on vacation lowered PH, then maybe everyone panicked and opened some windows, raised ph in the presence of ammonia which made ammonia toxic.

Just some thoughts

those rocks look
Like they don’t have any live on them
That tank is unstable

lesson learned, go slow
I wouldn’t be so quick to blame a couple of shells
Thanks for your assessment but a couple things tho. I had mysis shrimp separated into individual bags so they couldn't have over feed, they stayed at my house to watch my dog while I was gone so it wasn't really "closed up", also no windows were opened, tbh I don't think I've ever opened windows before in the room that has my tank lol. On the rocks, they used to have algae and a ton of stuff on them and that all vanished and so did my sand, now all of the sand and a some of the rock is completely white which leads me to think something unnatural occurred. Thanks for your thoughts tho and I definitely did learn a lot from this.

dru312

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your assessment but a couple things tho. I had mysis shrimp separated into individual bags so they couldn't have over feed, they stayed at my house to watch my dog while I was gone so it wasn't really "closed up", also no windows were opened, tbh I don't think I've ever opened windows before in the room that has my tank lol. On the rocks, they used to have algae and a ton of stuff on them and that all vanished and so did my sand, now all of the sand and a some of the rock is completely white which leads me to think something unnatural occurred. Thanks for your thoughts tho and I definitely did learn a lot from this.
If you don't check your parameters every few days it's impossible to tell what happened. A controller would have historical data for you to view and you would be able to make sure this wouldn't happen in the future.
Now you're just guessing and chasing numbers.

You can get a seneye pretty cheap to at least track PH, temp, Nh3 and O2 and when you're gone you can still see the real-time numbers.

I honestly would just empty the tank and clean it with a clean towel. remove the rock and sand and rinse them both in RODI water. Then I would cycle the tank again for a few weeks before adding fish and a few months before adding corals.

I wish you luck

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe just me, but I caught on to "no need to topoff as I have acrylic lids so evap doesn't seem to be effected".

If your tank is so tightly closed up that your not having to add fresh water to compensate for evaporation DAILY, you might want to remove those lids as your not getting any gas exchange either. In another words, your not oxygenating the water. And everything can certainly die off from lack of oxygen, yes including algae on your rocks and sandbed.

OP
OP
D

Dominic M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe just me, but I caught on to "no need to topoff as I have acrylic lids so evap doesn't seem to be effected".

If your tank is so tightly closed up that your not having to add fresh water to compensate for evaporation DAILY, you might want to remove those lids as your not getting any gas exchange either. In another words, your not oxygenating the water. And everything can certainly die off from lack of oxygen, yes including algae on your rocks and sandbed.
I have a hob filter and I dont fill up my tank all the way so the hob makes kind of a waterfall and there's a lot of bubbles so wouldent that be good enough gas exchange?

OP
OP
D

Dominic M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210127_082831.jpg

Anyone know what these things on the side of my glass by my snail? There like really really tiny bugs, there like translucent/grayish and are grouped up and dash around a bit. Any idea?

OP
OP
D

Dominic M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210127_082831.jpg

Anyone know what these things on the side of my glass by my snail? There like really really tiny bugs, there like translucent/grayish and are grouped up and dash around a bit. Any idea?
Wow just noticed theres a ton on the backside of my tank, they also seem to have gathered on on of my dead clowns. Should I be worried?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back