My Triton Results

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

gregoryleonard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey mates,

Agree 100% to Randy.
1. PO4 is calculated out of total P.
2. Tin source in Europe also are often "hose clamps" or other metal-parts close to the Water. The creeping out salt corode them and after the salt faling back the contamination can be quit massive.
3. for Iodine we have done some investigation already Randy it seems that, adding Iodine (Iodid) is ok as long as it´s close to NSW as it drops quite fast.
But reching levels over 200 it seems to stay where it is not not drop anymore.

I will try to get as much info over to you as I can.

ALl the best Ehsan
So, if say a razor blade or some other piece of metal were to fall in the overflow and not able to be retrieved, that could cause an elevated reading for Sn?
Does anyone know what some of the tank symptoms with 100xs the target point for Sn are?

OP
OP
TheClark

TheClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, if say a razor blade or some other piece of metal were to fall in the overflow and not able to be retrieved, that could cause an elevated reading for Sn?
Does anyone know what some of the tank symptoms with 100xs the target point for Sn are?

I would sure think so based on Eshan's comments about Europe, surely some heavy metal will result depending on the materials of the razor blade.

No idea how coral would react, curious if others know...

OP
OP
TheClark

TheClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering my options for reducing the Tin. Has anyone tried Kordon Rid-Metals?

Rid Metals? | Kordon!

Although Tin is not specifically listed.

It claims that it works in saltwater...

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you do for a living? How often do you put your hands in the tank? Wondering if some of these various high readings we're seeing whether its tin or aluminum could be coming from our hands or fingers? Could it also be from the food we're feeding our fish? Who knows what kind of metals that stuff is being exposed to as its being processed. Figuring out where the tin is coming from is like searching for a needle in a haystack in some ways.

OP
OP
TheClark

TheClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you do for a living? How often do you put your hands in the tank? Wondering if some of these various high readings we're seeing whether its tin or aluminum could be coming from our hands or fingers? Could it also be from the food we're feeding our fish? Who knows what kind of metals that stuff is being exposed to as its being processed. Figuring out where the tin is coming from is like searching for a needle in a haystack in some ways.

Hey there, sorry I missed this quote. I am a software engineer, so probably pretty chemically inert... In theory I shouldn't be getting exposed to much...

OP
OP
TheClark

TheClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing some changes to the powerheads last night, I found a rusty razor blade in the tank. It had fallen in and attached to a powerhead magnet and gone undetected. If razors have tin in them, then very likely a possible part of the cause of the elevated tin.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at razor baldes in more detail, they are made of a specail type of stainless steel.

Sanvik razor blade steel has the following compostion:

Chemical composition (nominal) %

C = 0.68Si = 0.4Mn = 0.7P = ≤0.025S = ≤0.010Cr = 13

Common stainless steel:

ComponentsType 304Type 316Type 316L
Chromium18-20%16-18%16-18%
Nickel8-10.5%10-14%10-14%
Carbon0.08%0.08%0.03%
Manganese2%2%2%
Silicon1%1%1%
Manganese2-3%2-3%

Looks like no Tin is typically used.

My tank tested at Sn = 8.13, but I do not have any tank issues (fish and corals do great). I have a small amount of stainless from a spout that sits in an ATO with Kalkwasser, but no other metals in the tank.

Randy found some info that Tin is typically used in glass making and PVC, so these are possible sources:

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxprofiles/tp55-c2.pdf

from it (my highlighting):
Major uses of tin:
include cans and containers, electrical, construction, and transportation. Industrially important tin
compounds can be categorized as inorganic (those without a tin-carbon bond) and organic (those having a
tin-carbon bond). Inorganic tin compounds are used in the glass industry, and also serve as the base for
the formulation of colors, as catalysts, and in perfumes and soaps. The major commercial applications for
organotin compounds are as polyvinyl chloride (PVC) heat stabilizers, biocides, catalysts, agrochemicals,
and glass coatings.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheClark

TheClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked up the exact composition of the razor blades I am using. Looks like mostly iron. This most likely was not the cause.

I am curious though, the bad on top of the blade that is for holding onto, it appears to be a different material.

[h=2]Chemical Composition[/h]The following table shows the chemical composition of S2 tool steels.
Iron, Fe​
Silicon​
Carbon, C​
0.4-0.55
Molybdenum, Mo​
Manganese, Mn​
Vanadium, V​
≤0.5
Phosphorus, P​
≤0.03
Sulfur, S​
≤0.03

Element​
Content (%)

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am experimenting with using PolyFilter pads to remove the Aluminum added by my Phosguard reactor. It may also be effective with your heavy metals but I have not yet done a second triton test to verify. You may also be interested in MetaSorb from Two Little Fishies.

OP
OP
TheClark

TheClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am experimenting with using PolyFilter pads to remove the Aluminum added by my Phosguard reactor. It may also be effective with your heavy metals but I have not yet done a second triton test to verify. You may also be interested in MetaSorb from Two Little Fishies.

Thanks for the tip Sangheili! Will check out MetaSorb.

Here is what I have tried so far:

- 2 35 gallon water changes (450 gallon system)
- 1 poly filter
- 500 mls of cuprasorb (claims other heavy metals besides copper, not sure)
- Pura pads (claims heavy metal removal)

I hope to do 8 more 35 gallon water changes.

So basically we will have no idea if these helped or how much when I send my results back in to Triton. :frusty:

At 50 bucks a test it is hard to justify trying just one thing at a time.

In addition I have been attacking the low trace elements, mag, salt, etc... but that is a whole other topic.

That said, the tank is definitely looking better following the Triton recommendations. I am loving the data that is available...

OP
OP
TheClark

TheClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
TheClark

TheClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just curious if anyone has tried or would not recommend Kordon Rid-Metals

Rid-Metals can be termed a heavy metal eradicator - water conditioner that instantly detoxifies elements such as lead, copper, zinc, and other heavy metals from freshwater and saltwater When the amino acid found in Rid-Metals bonds with metal ions, a complex is formed that effectively binds the heavy metals - insuring that they cannot react with any other ions in the aquarium or pond. Easy to dispense, Rid-Metals removes up to 10-times more heavy metals than other similar products. Good mechanical filtration combined with regular water changes with gravel vacuum-type cleaning removes these inactive heavy metal compounds.

PS: Randy, I hope you see this and weigh in :)

dgrigor02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not understanding. So your Tin and Al is high. Are you seeing any negative effects that makes you want to correct ? While I agree to be aware of these levels and try to avoid things in the future that may add, I don't know that I would go to any great lengths are your propossing to try to remove what is there unless your tank is not doing well and you suspect that is the root cause. Perhaps just let it ride take a new test in a couple of months to make sure it isn't rising.

OP
OP
TheClark

TheClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not understanding. So your Tin and Al is high. Are you seeing any negative effects that makes you want to correct ? While I agree to be aware of these levels and try to avoid things in the future that may add, I don't know that I would go to any great lengths are your propossing to try to remove what is there unless your tank is not doing well and you suspect that is the root cause. Perhaps just let it ride take a new test in a couple of months to make sure it isn't rising.

That's sound advice, for sure. I am definitely seeing coral decline. Since implementing the steps recommended things are improving.

OP
OP
TheClark

TheClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another Tin update:

Possible source: Shorted out powerhead.

Doing water changes, my grounding probe was out of the water. I received a good shock when bridging to another tank with a grounding probe (Everything last item is on GFI now, but that is a different story...)

After much troubleshooting I tracked it down to a sump stirring powerhead. The volt meter showed 3 amps

If the pump was shorted out, I have to assume it is possible that something metal was exposed. It is not clear how long it was like this.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some products might just have not bothered to test to see if they bound tin.

I wouldn't bother with the Kordon product. It might already be bound to organics.

Interesting possible source on the power head.

Back