My two leopard wrasse question

leilani908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! i have 2 leopard Wrasse, one is bigger than the other. I'm noticing that the bigger one will chase the little one around and idk if it's bad or not. Should I remove them or leave them if they're deciding who's dominant? Thank you!

OP
OP
L

leilani908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of Leopard? Sex of these wrasses? How big of a tank? Sand bed? Was there any damage?
Idk what kind of leopard they are or what gender each are. They were young when I got them but one looks darker than the other. This is one of them. Yes there is a sand bed. I have a 50 gallon long tank (36" long). And no there's no damage to the Wrasse.

IMG_20200714_154225.jpg

Chef Mateo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had them?, cause I think they are probably just establishing hierarchy.

OP
OP
L

leilani908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had 1 for 25 days and the other for 15 days. I got the other one later because I originally got 2 at the same time but one died so I had to wait until my LFS had more to get a replacement. The one that's chasing the other around is looking darker. And the one being chased is starting to look lighter, so maybe. That's what my lfs suggested, but I wanted to be sure.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are Macropharyngodon meleagris, or Meleagris Leopard wrasse. They do get a little large for a 50 gal tank. Often, when fish are in too small of a space, they can get aggressive. They should do well together. As long as they don't injure each other, and keep each other from eating, they should be fine. Leopard wrasse sleep and hide in the sand, so you must remove one if it cause the other to hide in the sand during the day.
I cannot tell from the picture, but they need a fine sand bed ti rest and sleep in to thrive and do well.
You should search and read about the animal you are going to buy to make sure they will do well in your tank. 50 gal is a rather small tank. Even if it is not optimal, at least you need to read about the animals you want to keep.
Good luck with them.

OP
OP
L

leilani908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are Macropharyngodon meleagris, or Meleagris Leopard wrasse. They do get a little large for a 50 gal tank. Often, when fish are in too small of a space, they can get aggressive. They should do well together. As long as they don't injure each other, and keep each other from eating, they should be fine. Leopard wrasse sleep and hide in the sand, so you must remove one if it cause the other to hide in the sand during the day.
I cannot tell from the picture, but they need a fine sand bed ti rest and sleep in to thrive and do well.
You should search and read about the animal you are going to buy to make sure they will do well in your tank. 50 gal is a rather small tank. Even if it is not optimal, at least you need to read about the animals you want to keep.
Good luck with them.
I did read about them before, but I also was trusting the opinion of my local fish store when he said they'd be okay in my tank. I know he doesn't just sell me stuff as he's always honest if something really won't work in my tank and will recommend I don't get things that won't fit it or work out. With these, he said they'd be okay, but I'll keep an eye on them. Thank you for your help with this!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back