My very first ich outbreak!! Yay?

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No offense taken, though you ain’t right. I’m not shopping for answers, I’m looking for one. Until I can get one answer and not different experiences, I’d really just be spitballing for a solution. Until I do get real advice from a store I’m not tearing apart my tank, stressing my fish, or pouring chemicals in that kill off my expensive inverts. I’ve dealt with ich many times and have only ever lost one fish. I really wasn’t planning on settling for less ever, it’s just I’m in a situation where I CAN’T quarantine. It’s not a choice. I don’t like shortcuts. I’m glad that you got lucky with your ich outbreak, but I’m not in as fortunate a situation as you were. I know the ich cycle, this is not my first rodeo. Also you can’t eliminate it. It always exists, just multiplies when a fish gets stressed and it’s body temp warms to hosting conditions. So stressing a fish out especially one as timid as firefish would only be helping the parasites. To be frank, this may not even be ich. I’ve seen this in many other tanks, and it goes away after a day without a trace. The bottom line — I know the patience it takes to set up a tank and the speed bumps it can create. I want the best for my pets. Never in my life would I settle for less.

Wait a minute. If you know so much as you say, why the heck are you asking this question then? Sounds like you already have what you want to do. Ich Management. SO, go manage it then and stop asking questions for stuff you already know.
There is no magic cure for ICH, either you manage it and pray you don't have stress in the tank or you eradicate it. To eradicate it, well, you already know the answer, right?
Feel like my dang time just got wasted. BTW, if it IS a disease (its not sand stuck to them, so stop dreaming), then ICH would have been the best one to get. Stop wishing. Good day.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait a minute. If you know so much as you say, why the heck are you asking this question then? Sounds like you already have what you want to do. Ich Management. SO, go manage it then and stop asking questions for stuff you already know.
There is no magic cure for ICH, either you manage it and pray you don't have stress in the tank or you eradicate it. To eradicate it, well, you already know the answer, right?
Feel like my dang time just got wasted. BTW, if it IS a disease (its not sand stuck to them, so stop dreaming), then ICH would have been the best one to get. Stop wishing. Good day.
I ain’t trying to waste your time, and more than well know it’s not “sand”, so thanks for telling me the obvious. All I said was that I know what ich is and have seen it in my tank. I’m asking for advice on how to get rid of it because this time it’s a new tank where I have a lot of questions. Previously I’ve seen these problems in large FW tanks where dealing with the problem was a much different process than marine ich. My question to begin with was what effective and efficient remedies are recommended. So no, I ain’t trying to waste your time and am sorry you feel that way. However, if you would like to give a serious answer, then please go ahead.

Last edited:

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll be sure to pick something up in my next outing. Everyone is acting well! In my history of seeing ich in my tanks, I’ve only ever lost one fish to ich. That said, I’ll be sure to stay vigilant. I’m just glad to see my firefish acting better.

yet the title of the thread is my very first ich outbreak

o_O

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good lord.

Here is your answer. Plain and simple. Either ICH Management or COPPER AND FALLOW FOR 76 DAYS. PERIOD. NO MIRACLE BOTTLES, NO KICK ICH. If someone says UV, that's management. Those are your two choices. You were told the choice literally first response, and you ignored it. lol

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good lord.

Here is your answer. Plain and simple. Either ICH Management or COPPER AND FALLOW FOR 76 DAYS. PERIOD. NO MIRACLE BOTTLES, NO KICK ICH. If someone says UV, that's management. Those are your two choices. You were told the choice literally first response, and you ignored it. lol
I’d’ve gone with the first response if the next few weren’t the complete opposite! Some people say QT and fallow, others say dump chemicals in. Geez and I thought I could get a straight answer!

I’m tired of the “in my experience” or “in my tank” junk. THIS IS A DIFFERENT TANK!

I thought this forum was supposed to help confused newcomers! Not practically turn them away from the hobby and months of prior research.

:rolleyes:This is why I should stop asking for “advice”...

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going with the "ich management" track, you could try Polyp Labs Medic. I am aware of a handful of tanks locally that dosed it at the advice of LFS since they were unwilling or unable to QT/fallow. It did seem to arrest the infestations in those cases, but it really hard to verify efficacy. It is supposed to weaken/kill them at the free swimming phase.

Again though, this is highly unlikely to eradicate ich; it merely interrupts the cycle so that the fish have a chance to regain more resilience.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going with the "ich management" track, you could try Polyp Labs Medic. I am aware of a handful of tanks locally that dosed it at the advice of LFS since they were unwilling or unable to QT/fallow. It did seem to arrest the infestations in those cases, but it really hard to verify efficacy. It is supposed to weaken/kill them at the free swimming phase.

Again though, this is highly unlikely to eradicate ich; it merely interrupts the cycle so that the fish have a chance to regain more resilience.
Thank you. I am trying to emphasize the fact that I have no ability to QT and none of my fish are doing terrible. The firefish is stressed from his attempted escape yesterday, and the basslet may have ich. I’m looking to solve the problem, but thank you for the advice.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d’ve gone with the first response if the next few weren’t the complete opposite! Some people say QT and fallow, others say dump chemicals in. Geez and I thought I could get a straight answer!

I’m tired of the “in my experience” or “in my tank” junk. THIS IS A DIFFERENT TANK!

I thought this forum was supposed to help confused newcomers! Not practically turn them away from the hobby and months of prior research.

:rolleyes:This is why I should stop asking for “advice”...

That's because you have people who try their best to not have to do QT and fallow. They try miracle cures over and over and think they beat ich with it. When in truth, it's just ich management. TRUST ME, I've lost PLENTY of fish to ICH. Prob 1k+ at this point. I've learned my lesson and you should learn from my mistakes.

At the end of the day, your options are two. Just be glad it's not uronema, look that up and tell me you don't need a QT. lol

This isn't freshwater fish. It's saltwater and there is a reason so many people get frustrated and quit. It's not easy nor cheap. You gotta decide how much you want it. These diseases you see in freshwater are not the same as saltwater.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I am trying to emphasize the fact that I have no ability to QT and none of my fish are doing terrible. The firefish is stressed from his attempted escape yesterday, and the basslet may have ich. I’m looking to solve the problem, but thank you for the advice.

Why do you say you don't have the ability to QT? You really REALLY want a QT. Don't be that person that puts 4k+ livestock in their tank and ends up with uronema. I might be a bit rough right now, but I'm saving you from yourself. You should be glad, I learned this **** on my own through god knows how much reading and research/experience

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ain’t trying to waste your time, and more than well know it’s not “sand”, so thanks for telling me the obvious. All I said was that I know what ich is and have seen it in my tank. I’m asking for advice on how to get rid of it because this time it’s a new tank where I have a lot of questions. Previously I’ve seen these problems in large FW tanks where dealing with the problem was a much different process than marine ich. My question to begin with was what effective and efficient remedies are recommended. So no, I ain’t trying to waste your time and am sorry you feel that way. However, if you would like to give a serious answer, then please go ahead.

The only reason I said sand stuck to the fish, is because I ACTUALLY TOLD MYSELF THAT ONCE. Again experience. Ask me what happened...

A good way to see whether someone knows what they are talking about is by the state of their tank. It's a bit old and my tank looks much different now (I'll record it again soon), but here's my tank.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's because you have people who try their best to not have to do QT and fallow. They try miracle cures over and over and think they beat ich with it. When in truth, it's just ich management. TRUST ME, I've lost PLENTY of fish to ICH. Prob 1k+ at this point. I've learned my lesson and you should learn from my mistakes.

At the end of the day, your options are two. Just be glad it's not uronema, look that up and tell me you don't need a QT. lol

This isn't freshwater fish. It's saltwater and there is a reason so many people get frustrated and quit. It's not easy nor cheap. You gotta decide how much you want it. These diseases you see in freshwater are not the same as saltwater.
Thank you for your advice. There is certainly a lot I need to know still with saltwater. I think this forum and especially your advice has opened my eyes to just how difficult this can be. I’ll try to get a QT tank. I’ll do things right.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t argue that...
Let’s just say this is the first and last time I trust the saltwater fish from Petco.

I did the same. Got a clown and a damsel from them when i first started. I mean the VERY first time I put water in a tank.
I just now was able to beat what they gave me a couple months ago. Try fighting off, velvelt, ich, brook, AND flukes. One after the other and sometimes at the same time. I'm telling you from experience man. It's all love here.

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ultimately the choice to QT or not to QT is his you cant browbeat someone into it i used to never QT as well and ive been in this hobby for 16+ years but my latest build i got marine velvet wiped out my tank so i QT now so i can understand both sides of wanting to QT and not feeling you need to

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an evo 13.5 As well. I also have a 5 gallon qt tank good deal at lfs. Hob filter tank and led lid for 50 bux way. Way cheaper to qt than loose all your fish

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ultimately the choice to QT or not to QT is his you cant browbeat someone into it i used to never QT as well and ive been in this hobby for 16+ years but my latest build i got marine velvet wiped out my tank so i QT now so i can understand both sides of wanting to QT and not feeling you need to

And that's fine. I def do set the record straight. So that you know 'I'm not qt, and it's stupid, and sooner or later I will wipe out everything'. It's better to fully explain to someone so that they mentally prepare than to waste money trying to fight something off the wrong way like I did. I have a pharmacy in my home........

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 192 71.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back