My very first tank!

AngieLikedThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I've had freshwater tanks for years but I've always been scared to try a salt water because I heard they were hard to keep up with. However, I've decided it's time to expand my little hobby and give it a go. I have a 20g tall and I've set it up with the sand, filter, mixed the salt water. I do have test strips that I use for my freshwater but I'm not sure if they would be useful in a salt water. Is there a specific perameter test for salt water tanks or are the same ones used? I also purchased a little meter that sticks to the glass to read the salinity level. Well, am I doing this properly? I dont want to add any fish until the tank is stable enough which I'm going to guess wont be for at least a month. However, the fish store suggested j cycle with a fish. My concern is doing something wrong and fish dying. I wanted to do some coral and stuff too. Any advice would be great. As well as stocking ideas I know you cant fit nearly as much fish in a salt water but I would like to maybe have one if possible.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! This is a great place to ask question and get feedback as you get started! If you haven't read it already, I encourage you to read the following R2R articles that will help answer your questions about set up and cycling:

#WelcometoR2R

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the Family! I highly recommend reading the above threads. They will clear a lot of things up, and give you a good idea about which questions to ask. I kept FW tanks for years before gathering the courage to start my first reef. I wish I'd started sooner. You're going to love it.

MrWheelock

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! @Peace River gave you some good places to help you start up. Also @Bulk Reef Supply has a great selection of videos on YouTube that i watched as i reserched and set up my tank, and continue to watch as new things come out.

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. You can cycle with a fish, but I personally wouldn't do it. There are plenty of options out there that offer a faster cycle with live bacteria. Some tests are universal between FW and SW. At first I would just test for ammonia.

20191011_200643.jpg

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to the site and you're in the right place!

Those threads are amazing and you will learn a ton!

The short answer is....every tank is different and patience is everything!

You will need to get a saltwater/marine test kit. Several makers have them and several members will tell you what they like best.

For starters I would look at a red sea complete kit. It's around 50 bucks and more reliable in my opinion to the other starter kit by API. Although the API kit will work for what you need right now and is only 25 bucks.

You also need to add as much live or dry marine rock as you have gallons. So you want around 20# in your tank. Some will suggest soaking the rocks first but those methods are covered in the threads.

As mentioned above bac in a bottle will help jump start your bac build up and cycle.

The point of the cycle is to get the bacteria in your tank strong enough to process the amonia produced by your tank.

Once your tank can cycle 2ppm ammonia in 24hrs you are solid.

Some start the process with fish

Some start with dead shrimp

Some start with actual amonia

The end result is the same as you are cycling the tank. All take time and the more we watch water boil the longer it takes ;)

OP
OP
AngieLikedThat

AngieLikedThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on how old and who made it, that might not be a bad idea.
Idk who made it I think I only paid like $40 it's one of those metal ones. Its served me pretty well this past year but I moved my fw to a hexagon tank so it's pretty much just been holding my printer lol if I cycle the tank then move it before adding any rocks would that be possible or do you think I should just cap it for now and restart when I have a better stand?

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk who made it I think I only paid like $40 it's one of those metal ones. Its served me pretty well this past year but I moved my fw to a hexagon tank so it's pretty much just been holding my printer lol if I cycle the tank then move it before adding any rocks would that be possible or do you think I should just cap it for now and restart when I have a better stand?
Do you have a picture of the stand?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 16.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 160 67.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back