My very successsful fix to tank stand ventilation

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After over engineering my tank stand the opening in the back proved to not be enough ventilation. The panels on my stand are 1 inch thick plywood designed the withstand years of abuse. This caused the temperature in my tank to climb and my pH to drop.

The panels are held on with industrial magnets as well as the columns for a seamless look.

I ended up purchasing a home theater ventilation system with a built-in temperature probe. It regulates the temperature under my stand. It has a smart mode that will run the fans according to the temperature. Even at full speed it’s almost silent. Since installing this my temperature has been more consistent than ever before. Fluctuations stay within a point.

I planned on attaching a new silicone hose to my protein skimmer And running it to the opening behind my tank. At this point my pH has consistently stayed above 8.1. The modification may not even be necessary.

This may be a worthwhile tool to keep your temperature and pH within your stand extremely consistent.

2738FDD5-8208-4E9A-97AB-6E44094C9F40.jpeg

FF546654-0A29-436A-AC31-67C7DFD9B420.jpeg

8F0417BB-6385-4895-9127-7FAD1F267A2E.jpeg

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good! Are the fans replaceable? That's the only concern I've had with putting something like that in, I expect most fans to rust out over a short term with humid salt laden air.

OP
OP
Roggio

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get the ventilation kit if you don't mind me asking?

Sure,
https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-...e_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref_=yo_ii_img

Looks good! Are the fans replaceable? That's the only concern I've had with putting something like that in, I expect most fans to rust out over a short term with humid salt laden air.

Yes! They are not only replaceable but you can flip them incase you want a vacuum effect.

Stevesreef225

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be interested in finding the kit too. I just went through this same exact problem. Just ended up throwing a fan on the back. I feel it’s almost too much air flow now.

OP
OP
Roggio

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool. Clean and elegant - thanks for sharing!

Thank you! I will update with an Apex report to show the long term effect. Right now I’m rebuilding a lot of things and have the panels open. Last night the temperature fluctuation was less than ~.2 which I’ve never had. My pH has improved drastically as well.

mstockmaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first had my tank set up I did the same thing. I had a case ventilation fan on a thermostat. The issue I ran into was that even if the temperature was low there would still be high humidity and I'd begin getting mold. I removed the thermostat and now run the fan constantly, no more mold issues, everything is now dry.

OP
OP
Roggio

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first had my tank set up I did the same thing. I had a case ventilation fan on a thermostat. The issue I ran into was that even if the temperature was low there would still be high humidity and I'd begin getting mold. I removed the thermostat and now run the fan constantly, no more mold issues, everything is now dry.

I have my whole stand covered in enamel paint. We’ll see how it goes. So far so good. My water has never been more stable.

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything I’ve read in the past has recommended pushing air into the stand instead of out. This will help with the longevity of the fan and prevent it from corroding. For what it’s worth.

whyoming.white

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the same thing with my canopy. I used the fans that look like regular computer fans(didn’t have those nice covers)

Been running for a month with no issues so far. Love the controller and the display. Easy to setup and has a built in alarm feature as well

Raptor72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the same kit a few years back on my 125 canopy right before I had to shut it down. I had one side pushing and the other pulling air. I especially liked that you could adjust the temp settings for auto on and off.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. I went with just one 'always on' 120mm computer case fan. Used computer case dust filters too. Seems to do the trick so far.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back